Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Debating If I Should Change My Pick-Up Policy
CountryRoads 09:30 AM 02-07-2019
I'm going back and forth on whether I should charge late pick-up fees or not.
I initially decided not to because I don't want anyone to think it's an option to pick up late. "I'll just pay $10 and run to the store, etc." I also like to know that my work day is done by 5:30 so I can make other plans accordingly. I would hate not being able to make plans after work because I don't know when my last child will be gone.
My policy basically states that pick-ups must be done PRIOR to closing at 5:30 and if parent can't make it, then they need someone else to pick up their child. Repeated late pick-ups may result in termination.
I've had a couple issues, and while a few minutes here and there doesn't seem like a big deal, it drives me BONKERS. Like you signed a contract agreeing to my policies, why do you think you can pick up late? I already work more than 10.5 hours a day, the least you can do is respect my family time.
Drop-in family on Monday was 20 minutes late. I had to send her a text asking where she was because she didn't communicate with me. Different DCM makes comments last night "I will try to be on time, the weather's bad and it takes me longer." I know some things are unavoidable, and I'm very understanding with that. BUT...It's not always my problem. You have plenty of time to arrange a pick-up.
It's like they have the attitude of "oh, well she's home anyway so it's not a big deal."
I guess I'm just shocked that parents would be so inconsiderate of our family time and think late pick-ups are acceptable.
I need to find my backbone.
Ariana 10:10 AM 02-07-2019
Yeah unfortunately the only thing that works for rude inconsiderate people is to hit them in their wallets. I would increase the late fee to at least $15 for the first 5 minutes and then $1 a minute thereafter. Trust me it will work!

I charged a late fee once, the mom was ticked but she stayed with me for 3 years. I really don’t believe that parents will term over something that is clearly their fault and can be avoided. I am lenient when it is something behond their control but other than that there is a late fee.
springv 10:55 AM 02-07-2019
Our center charges $5.00 per minute after 6:00pm and it is paid directly to the person who closes
Snowmom 11:27 AM 02-07-2019
What did you say to the mom last night who said "she'd TRY to pick up on time"?

To me, I never look at those types of situations as "confrontational". I look at it as an opportunity to set the stage for how our relationship will conduct itself in the future.

My response would have been: "If you don't think you can make it on time, then you best stay home. I don't work overtime."

Today, we have a snow storm. Most of my families have been with me for a few years so they know the drill. But my newer ones... I remind them that although I don't close for snow storms, I do expect all families to plan accordingly and pick up on time. Again... just to set the stage on my expectations, because it's ME that runs the show here.
Meeko 07:11 PM 02-07-2019
Make the late fees sting their wallet. I used to charge a very small fee and realized that parents were looking at it as an OK to be late without breaking the bank.

I charge steep fees now and ALWAYS enforce them so I rarely get anyone trying to pull something.

There is no reason whatsoever for a parent to assume that you are willing to work overtime...unpaid.
Pestle 09:00 AM 02-08-2019
A dollar a minute PER CHILD, they must pay immediately or they start accruing late fees of $15/day, and they can't drop off again until it's paid. Frequent or egregious lateness results in immediate termination because I have to pick up my kid from school. Not playing around here.
LittleExplorers 10:41 AM 02-08-2019
I have a hefty late fee built in but my policy also states late pick ups can be grounds for termination.
Mom2Two 01:10 PM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Make the late fees sting their wallet.
I charge steep fees now and ALWAYS enforce them so I rarely get anyone trying to pull something.
Me too. The amount of my fees = how much pain the behavior makes me feel. That way, I don't feel like a victim--I'm just getting paid what I feel the problem is worth.

Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I have a hefty late fee built in but my policy also states late pick ups can be grounds for termination.
I also would term for repeat violations, because I feel like I need to have some basic level of respect for the parents. I can't give good care otherwise.

I pretty much have a set of fees, but I also don't put much effort into hiding my feelings, and I have a hunch that my P. O.'d body language is just as much of a deterrent as much as my late fees.
flying_babyb 10:10 AM 02-09-2019
We had a parent who had 6 kids, one in our center. She used to send her olders to get he little one. Well, they didnt care about being on time. We close at 6. So its 605, 615, 620 According to our policy we had called mom and various other contacts. Finally we found dads number, who promptly freaked out (divorced parents) and said he would be there in 10 mins. Well he showed up, applozied profuslly and said he would talk to mom. We reminded him of the late fee ($3 a minute). Sister showed up as coworker and I are in the parking lot, in tears cause mom chewed her out for forgetting her sister. $90! That was the last time mom was late, our policy was changed to after 15 mins its $10 a minute. Oh and dad brought us chocolate and coffee the next day.
Reply Up