Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Spacing Out
Josiegirl 03:51 AM 10-18-2013
My little 20 month old 'had a rough start' dcg, spaces out at times. They were told this in the beginning and to keep an eye out. I brought it up to them yesterday, to see if they were still noticing it. They said no. I told them she's still doing it here? It lasts 15-30 seconds and I'll call her name, snap my fingers, whatever I can think of at the moment, then I get right into her face and call her name, she finally looks at me and smiles. I'm not sure if it's a coping mechanism or if something is truly going on. Dcps said she'll have an MRI if it's continuing.
What do you all think?
Kaddidle Care 04:10 AM 10-18-2013
It sounds like a seizure to me. Talk to the parents - tell them to record it and show it to their Dr.
Laurel 04:40 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My little 20 month old 'had a rough start' dcg, spaces out at times. They were told this in the beginning and to keep an eye out. I brought it up to them yesterday, to see if they were still noticing it. They said no. I told them she's still doing it here? It lasts 15-30 seconds and I'll call her name, snap my fingers, whatever I can think of at the moment, then I get right into her face and call her name, she finally looks at me and smiles. I'm not sure if it's a coping mechanism or if something is truly going on. Dcps said she'll have an MRI if it's continuing.
What do you all think?
Possibly a seizure. They can be very mild like that or grand mal's like my first born had.

Laurel
BumbleBee 04:53 AM 10-18-2013
Ditto on either you or the parents recording it. My son had seizures his whole life & it sounds like it *could* be an absent seizure. An EEG could be in order but that's for the doctor to decide.
Unregistered 06:45 AM 10-18-2013
I do this too! It lasts about 15 seconds and only happens every so often. For years no one could figure out why it was happening. Then last year I was diagnosed with ADD. It has gotten much better since I have been on Strettara (sp?)
SilverSabre25 06:51 AM 10-18-2013
that sounds concerning. I'd video it next time you see it happening, and track for the parents how often it's happening.
Brooksie 07:16 AM 10-18-2013
Definitely sounds like a mild seizure to me. I would document each one and bring it to the dr.
cheerfuldom 09:05 AM 10-18-2013
My niece was doing the same thing. Her grandparents had everything checked out for physical reasons and never found a reason. I really think it is something like ADD but that part of the family does not believe in mental illness and have not provided any evaluations for her past the medical screenings.
Sunchimes 04:21 PM 10-18-2013
My newest baby is at risk of seizures. He hasn't had one as far as we know since he left the hospital. I was asked to watch for this spacing out or rapid eye blinking or a few other things. His doctors asked us to videotape it as soon as I was sure he was in a safe space. This way, as I understand it, they can have an idea what part of his brain is involved.
daycare 04:42 PM 10-18-2013
I have a dck that does this right before lunch time. I think he does it because he is overly tired, hungry and this is around the time that cortisol levels are out of control, making it hard from him to focus. He is irritable and sometimes just has episodes of anxiety. I think he gets over stimulated from the mornings activities and is just about ready to drop.

He will be fine one minute and then checked out the next.

Does this child get a good night of sleep?
se7en 07:23 PM 10-18-2013
Maybe a hearing problem ? What do you mean by the tem " had a rough start" ? Did this child have a rough start from birth, or do you mean a tough time adjusting to daycare. ?
MNMommy2 07:53 PM 10-18-2013
My niece had seizures like that. She was older and had one while driving. Scary.
I would definitely relay your fears and have them get her checked out.
Josiegirl 10:51 AM 10-20-2013
She'd been in a couple not-so-great foster homes and her bio mom might have abused her. Her records show a pattern of these spacing-out episodes and they were told to just keep an eye on her. If it continued they'd run tests. So I asked her parents(they ended up adopting her after fostering her) the other day if they'd noticed any more and they said no. I noticed it happened 2x Thursday then not at all Friday(unless I missed it). She does have an appt. early November.
Tags:lethargic
Reply Up