Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Use A Diaper Genie In Your Daycare?
crazydaycarelady 05:57 PM 10-27-2014
I received a coupon for a free Diaper Genie. I can do one of two things with it:
~use it in the daycare
~give it to my niece as part of her baby shower gift.

Right now I tie dirty diapers in a grocery sack and put them in a garbage can right outside my door. Not sure if I should open it up and give it a try - is there any advantage to it?
Hazel 06:10 PM 10-27-2014
I used one for my daughter in her bedroom as a baby... I found that it just starts to stink, like the smell seeps into the plastic. Right now I have a different type of diaper can (not sure of the name but I think it's called Dekor) that I got at a thrift store. It has a step lid AND a drop down lid, so it keeps the stinkiness in pretty well. I use a scented kitchen trash bag in it and then bag each diaper in a grocery bag. It's the only way to to keep the smell to a minimum...
I also found that putting rubbing alcohol in a mini spray bottle and misting the inside nightly after taking out the trash bag, it helps kill the smell. They only time we smell it now is when we open up to add or empty.
Due to the closeness of my neighbors, having a can outside the door just isn't an option.
Leigh 06:27 PM 10-27-2014
I have never tried the Dekor, but I have heard good things, as well. I use a Munchkin (Arm & Hammer) one and I wrap poopies in diaper disposal bags before throwing them in the pail, and it totally contains the odors. I like mine. In my old house, I was able to throw them in the garage trash, but my garage then smelled like poopy diapers, so this is the best for me.
Unregistered 07:27 PM 10-27-2014
My diaper Genie lasted through several kids and I never had a problem with smell if I emptied it before the can filled. But the refills add up @$6 a piece and with so many kids that could go pretty fast.
Unregistered 07:41 PM 10-27-2014
I use a diaper genie but I put a scented trash bag in mine instead of then genie refills. Works great!
grateday 08:29 PM 10-27-2014
If you use it and don't like it maybe repupose it for something or donate. I use a diaper pail for cloth diapers wet method soak. In between launderings with no diapers in it I spray with urine enzyme cleaner let dry and then rinse out and start over. This gets odorous out of plastic and those kiddie toilets. Just don't let enzyme cleaner come in contact with skin (rash) .
Leigh 08:32 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
If you use it and don't like it maybe repupose it for something or donate. I use a diaper pail for cloth diapers wet method soak. In between launderings with no diapers in it I spray with urine enzyme cleaner let dry and then rinse out and start over. This gets odorous out of plastic and those kiddie toilets. Just don't let enzyme cleaner come in contact with skin (rash) .
Repurpose: If you have pets (or little ones in your bathroom), use it for a bathroom trash can. Doing this has saved me MANY messes from kids and pets playing in the trash can.
Neekie 06:52 AM 10-28-2014
I have one and I love mine. But I empty it at every other day...daily if I have more than one in diapers. Otherwise it will start to smell. I also have family and friends save all their plastic shopping bags for me and I use them to tie smelly diapers in before throwing them in the genie. That helps a lot. I use the smaller bags and tie them air tight because then they don't take up so much room in the genie and waste the genie bags. Also sometimes the genie doesn't close right. On mine I always have to make sure the refills are positioned right so that the cover goes down all the way and inside lips are closing tight.
jenboo 06:56 AM 10-28-2014
I used one for a little while. It smells just as bad as a regular trash can with diapers in it and I agree that the plastic absorbs the poop smell. I got rid of it and now use a little metal step on trash can.

I emptied the genie daily have have 6 in diapers.
katzan 06:59 AM 10-28-2014
I have one and I don't have an issue with it. The biggest issue is when you open it, it can smell up the room pretty quickly, but the smell doesn't last long. I buy the generic refills and have no issues with them.
Laurel 07:04 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Hazel:
I used one for my daughter in her bedroom as a baby... I found that it just starts to stink, like the smell seeps into the plastic. Right now I have a different type of diaper can (not sure of the name but I think it's called Dekor) that I got at a thrift store. It has a step lid AND a drop down lid, so it keeps the stinkiness in pretty well. I use a scented kitchen trash bag in it and then bag each diaper in a grocery bag. It's the only way to to keep the smell to a minimum...
I also found that putting rubbing alcohol in a mini spray bottle and misting the inside nightly after taking out the trash bag, it helps kill the smell. They only time we smell it now is when we open up to add or empty.
Due to the closeness of my neighbors, having a can outside the door just isn't an option.
I never used a Diaper Genie but I had problems with that smell like you said with a regular diaper pail. After trying a few different things, I tried some Clorox Clean Up (comes in a spray bottle). Works great! Spray, wipe and all smell completely gone.

Laurel
crazydaycarelady 07:16 AM 10-28-2014
I think I am going to stick with what I do now. If the Genie stinks anyway, AND I have to empty it often (6+ in diapers) it sounds like it would just be one more thing to maintain.
KSDC 07:17 AM 10-28-2014
I have one that I have had for years. I found that I could jury-rig it to use plastic grocery bags instead of the expensive refills. I empty it daily and have no trouble with odor.
Tags:diaper dispenser, diaper genie
Reply Up