Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Ok To Terminate After The 1st Day??
KristinsHomeCC 06:14 AM 07-13-2015
I was SO excited to get this kid. He is my 2nd kid besides my son, and shortly after I got 2 more kids. However, he is 2.5 -- all of my other dck and ones that are starting in the next couple weeks are all between 12 months-18 months. That's a big age difference. Is it OK to just want all the same age, especially if it's already worked out that way?? The guilt in me says stick it out for a week. But in my contract it states both parties have the right to term without warning in the first 2 weeks as a trial period. He is screaming at the top of his lungs when the babies go near him and he's running all over my couch. I don't have a good feeling about it, so please tell me I'm okay for deciding that this isn't going to work out! I feel like I won't enjoy my job with this child here and I feel so bad saying that!! On top of it, it's my birthday today and I am going to spend all day stressing out about terminating my 1st kid!
bklsmum 06:17 AM 07-13-2015
If you have a trial period then it is allowed but I would personally give it a week or at least give the parents notice so they have the rest of the week to find other care.

Happy birthday!!!!!!
DaveA 06:30 AM 07-13-2015
Happy Birthday!

It is appropriate to term a child because he/she doesn't fit in with your group. Be polite and explain to the DCPs that he would have a much better time in an environment where the group is closer to his own age/ developmental level. It's in your contract that you can do so, so no problems there. I would DCK to stay for the rest of the pay period if need be while the parents find new care and/or refund any unused portion of the pay period.

Good luck with the young ones.
NoMoreJuice! 07:02 AM 07-13-2015
Whenever you do decide to term, always try to make the parent feel like you're doing it in the best interest of their child. For example: "Pumpkin seems to be very bored and restless here, as has no peers to play with. I think it would be best for Pumpkin if you found care that could provide him with an appropriate playmate the same age."
mommyneedsadayoff 07:10 AM 07-13-2015
Happy Birthday!

A trial period exists for a reason. Sometimes you know on the first day, sometimes it takes a week to figure out if you want to continue care. If it is not a good fit, then move on and save yourself the headache and give mom and dad notice so they can look for other care. Maybe you could let them know it is not going to work out for you, but you will finish out the week so they have time to find other care? If you just want to be done today, then tell them it is not a good fit and you can no longer watch dck. I agree with above poster, too. "I have enjoyed getting to know your little one, and have realized that he would do better in a group setting with children his own age."
nanglgrl 07:49 AM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Whenever you do decide to term, always try to make the parent feel like you're doing it in the best interest of their child. For example: "Pumpkin seems to be very bored and restless here, as has no peers to play with. I think it would be best for Pumpkin if you found care that could provide him with an appropriate playmate the same age."
While I agree with this I would also add a statement that doesn't give them an out such as "the last day I'm willing to provide care for him is X". I've had too many clients and potential clients in the last that would take any opening to negotiate. If you give an out mom could say "I'm sure he will adjust, he loves children younger than him" and then you're in that awkward position. I've had so many clients/potential clients I tried to let down easy in the past only to be met with a compromise or statement that makes it so I have to then become the "mean" lady.
AmyKidsCo 01:07 PM 07-13-2015
Since you've got the trial period I'd personally give it a week to see if he calms down. He might even become a good helper for you with the little ones. He may be fantastic with them once he adjusts, especially if you really emphasize what a big boy and good helper he is.
cheerfuldom 05:58 AM 07-15-2015
I would tell them immediately that you feel your environment is not the right fit for him, he isnt enjoying being around the babies and he has a lot more energy than the rest of your group. You dont feel this will work out but will give it to the end of the week if they need you to. Assuming that you can deal with this for a few more days.
Tags:terminating
Reply Up