Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finding Out Before Interview They Are Not Too Bright!!!!
mickey2 06:04 AM 06-04-2011
I have had an ad posted for one daycare space as I am losing 3 children. 2 are gone (moms on mat leave) and 1 will be going to school in September. 2 others from mat leave will be returning in September this year so I am advertising for one space.

I hardly ever have openings for more than a couple of days and I have gone years without having to advertise. All dcks with me have been here for 2-4 years now and the last family to sign up came by referral.

Because of the really strange people emailing me I am about ready to just say forget it and just keep the small group I have. Next September I am going to be so full again anyway that I will need to turn someone away which sucks as all have been longtime families but I will have too many dcks if I take them all.

I got this one woman reply to my ad saying it sounded great and she wanted more information. I emailed her back with my website and a general area of where I was located and gave my phone number in the email.

She emailed me back saying that she could not wait to meet and when the best time would be and on and on about how excited she was because she really liked what she saw. She asked a couple of questions in her email to which I responded to, (she could have called as I gave her my number)

She wanted to know what she needed to bring, which was already clearly stated in my website NOTHING except formula and the child!

Then she emails me back saying this
"theres only one big problem in this .. i dont drive .. so i woulnt be able to bring her there .. its too far away .. but i really would love to have you .. any suggestions?"
DUH???????

Needless to say with a brain like this I didn't even reply to her as I don't want it! And she is supposed to be a teacher. Oh boy!! No wonder some kids are messed up with something like this teaching them!!!

This morning I get on and I get an email from a woman with nothing in the subject. I opened it and all it says is "im interested in youre daycare"

She can't even type or spell. Yeah like I am going to answer this one too!

If I did I wouldn't even know what to say.

Is it the season for crazies or what? I think I will just wait a month or two and try again. I only take babies from the time moms return to work after maternity leave which here where I live is at 11-12 months old. Must have been something in the water 12 months ago when these women got pregnant!!

I guess I better wait a few months until it clears up.

Just needed to vent!
e.j. 02:31 PM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by mickey2:
She wanted to know what she needed to bring, which was already clearly stated in my website NOTHING except formula and the child!

Then she emails me back saying this
"theres only one big problem in this .. i dont drive .. so i woulnt be able to bring her there .. its too far away .. but i really would love to have you .. any suggestions?"
DUH???????

Needless to say with a brain like this I didn't even reply to her as I don't want it! And she is supposed to be a teacher. Oh boy!! No wonder some kids are messed up with something like this teaching them!!!

I think I would have excused her mistake in asking what she should bring. In her excitement she probably just overlooked the fact that your website states she doesn't need to bring anything other than formula and the child. As far as the other issue, she probably should have just asked directly if you provided transportation but maybe that's not her communication style. I would have just sent a reply telling her, "Unfortunately, I don't provide transportation to and from child care. If you think you can find a way to get your child here, I'd be happy to set up an interview with you. Otherwise, I hope you're able to find another child care provider who can meet your needs. Good luck with your search." To not send a reply at all seems a little unprofessional to me so that's not the way I would want to leave things with this woman - but that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by mickey2:
This morning I get on and I get an email from a woman with nothing in the subject. I opened it and all it says is "im interested in youre daycare"
She can't even type or spell. Yeah like I am going to answer this one too!
If I did I wouldn't even know what to say.

Well, I don't think I'd judge her too harshly without meeting her. It may be that those were just typos; maybe she's not a skilled typist. She also may not be the most educated person out there but could turn out to be the nicest person and dc parent you could ever want to meet. She could also be a new mom who isn't sure how to approach the situation and what questions to ask. I think I would have replied with something like, "That's great! Is there anything specific you would like to know?" and then I would go from there.
WImom 05:24 PM 06-04-2011
I agree with EJ on the first one, I'd reply with something.

The 2nd one depending where your advertising, I know here on Craigslist sometimes they just put short and sweet emails because they are just trying to get your email for spam.

I don't reply to any emails that are like that.
mickey2 05:56 PM 06-04-2011
Thanks ladies, I was so grumpy and in such a bad mood this morning when I wrote this up. Getting up on the wrong side of the bed and having had so many waste of my time emails as well as 1 definite spam in the past week since posting my ad really did not help and upset me. That why I said it was a vent!

I did reply to the lady who is not able to bring her daughter because she lives to far from me.

I replied with "I am sorry that you are unable to bring your daughter as I would have loved to care for her and I know she would love it here. Would your husband be able to bring her in the morning? I do open very early in the am at 6 am. If your circumstances change and you are able to get her here please keep me in mind. I wish I were able to offer transportation but unfortunately I am not. Unfortunately we do not have public transportation that travels to my area. I hope you are able to find a wonderful caregiver for your little girl who lives closer to where you are or someone who is in an area where there is public transportation.

The second one I replied with "Hello, Thank you for your interest in my ad for childcare. What exactly are you looking for? I would need more information. Please feel free to contact me anytime at *** *** ****

I have my ad posted on kijjiji.

I just wish there were an easier way to get word out. It is frustrating. I had 2 no shows last week as well.

Going to post in the local newspaper on Monday. I wonder if that might work.
DBug 08:09 PM 06-04-2011
Mickey2, are you listed on daycarebear.ca? I've gotten a few leads through it ...
countrymom 06:48 AM 06-05-2011
I have a sign in my front yard, this way its free and people can find me. I hate advertising on the net because I get telemarkers, crazies and wierdos calling me.
SandeeAR 12:43 PM 06-05-2011
I' ve done most of my advertising via Facebook. I post on my personal page, what I have open and my rates. They, I post a comment to it and ask any of my friends that are willing, to please repost on their pages. They may not know anybody that needs care, but one of their friends might.

That is how I just put a baby, to be born in July on with a weekly 1/2 payment of fee, until the baby begins care in the fall.
Tags:advertise, filling spots, new family
Reply Up