Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Same Outfit 2 Days in a Row
melissa ann 04:53 PM 01-13-2010
I have a 9 (almost 10)month old boy in my care. I can't tell you how many times he has worn the same outfit 2 days in a row. It happened again this morning. The same outfit, down to his socks (they are designed) that he came in this morning at 6am was the same outfit as yesterday. I'm fed up with it. I changed it right away. But I am so upset. This outfit has food/juice stains and dirt stains from crawling on the floors. I was very tempted to write a note to the mom to say that please have children in clean otufits when dropping off. Numereous times "andy" has been in the same outfit for 2 days in a row. But I didn't. I needed time to cool down. I find this unacceptable. There is absolutely NO excuse for this whatsoever. How do I handle this? Just let it go and change the outfit myself when he comes?
This is the same infant that had a red tushy for a long time. Which, I think it was because they don't change his diaper regularly. Some days he would come in with a diaper on that he had on ALL night. That's how full it was, plus it leaked on his pj's that wasn't changed either. IT's like they woke up and just strapped him in his carseat. Some mornings he would be so upset because he was hungry and they didn't feed him when they got up.
gbcc 05:50 PM 01-13-2010
First, I hope you are documenting all of these cases to keep yourself safe if anyone decides to report the family.

Second, have you addressed the concerns with the mother? I would try that and offer suggestions. If that gets no where then I would honestly call in a report.
momma2girls 07:10 PM 01-13-2010
WOW!!! I would definately tell the parents that the child needs to come in clean clothing and a fresh new diaper when dropping off every am. If he is not, you will discontinue care immediately!!!!
originalkat 05:17 AM 01-14-2010
When Parents are THAT irrisponsible, you really need to tell them. I know it is hard because you are kind of "insulting" their parenting skills...(or lack thereof). But seriously. That is just gross. gbcc is right about documenting all of this. I would hesitate to report right away. Give her a chance to make it right. If it does not improve, let her know you are a mandated reporter of abuse and neglect. You dont want someone else turning her in and then they start investigating and you have not taken any steps to rectify the situation.

I had a little girl come in with her diaper soaked every morning. I mean SOAKED!! But she was well taken care of besides that. It was only about a week of that and I addressed with her mom. Tactfully and in away...I beat around the bush so I didnt come off accusingly. It turned out the little girl (almost potty trained age) was dry in the mornings and then would let out her big potty from the night before in the car on the way over.

My point is, these things need to be dealt with ASAP. Sometimes they are nothing and (like in your case) they are more and the child suffers for that moms lack of knowledge/responsibility etc...
Unregistered 06:54 AM 01-14-2010
I have it in my policy book that children are to arrive clean and dressed for the day,if arriving after my meal time they have to be fed too, i've had problems with the overnighter diaper still on the kid at drop off so made parents start changing the kids before they left my daycare,never had an issue again. You seriously need to document everything even if and what you say to mom, if it continues and someone else reports them you could get into trouble for not doing anything.
kiddiecare
Childminder 08:05 AM 01-14-2010
I had a dcb that came in the same diaper he left in the night before, I know this because I marked them. This went on for months, even after speaking to the young parents often about it. I finally resigned myself to fact that I either had to report them or accept it. I was fond of the family and just worked with it. But I have the tendency to take in strays much to my husband's chagrin.
Childminder 08:09 AM 01-14-2010
I had a dcb that came in the same diaper he left in the night before, I know this because I marked them. This went on for months, even after speaking to the young parents often about it. I finally resigned myself to fact that I either had to report them or accept it. I was fond of the family and just worked with it. They got better and otherwise were very caring. The boy is married w/children and seems none the worse for it. I have the tendency to take in strays much to my husband's chagrin.
momofboys 05:06 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I had a dcb that came in the same diaper he left in the night before, I know this because I marked them. This went on for months, even after speaking to the young parents often about it. I finally resigned myself to fact that I either had to report them or accept it. I was fond of the family and just worked with it. They got better and otherwise were very caring. The boy is married w/children and seems none the worse for it. I have the tendency to take in strays much to my husband's chagrin.
Unbelieveable that a parent would keep a child in the same diaper for over 12 hours, my guess is it was longer than 12 hrs. Despicable!
Unregistered 09:52 PM 01-22-2010
I'm surpeised you have not said anything to your licensing office. Anytime anything like this happens to me I call my worker and keep a log. Here in CA a constant diaper rash is enough to have the child removed from a home temporarily while CPS assesses the child's health and looks for signs of neglect. Remember that child providers are required not only legally but morally to report any SIGNS of child abuse or neglect ... diaper rash and not changing a child can be a sign of neglect. You may run the risk of losing your license if something happened to the child and you did not report it. I'd talk to your licensing office and follow their recommendations.
Tags:clothes, dirty, dirty cloths
Reply Up