Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Member
actaktmdt 06:27 AM 02-09-2010
Hi Ladies
My name is angela and im in the SW part of Michigan. I have an elementary ed degree, but havent been able to get into the classroom due to the ecomomy and sheer high numbers of teachers that are compeating for jobs. My husband and I decided to open up a in home daycare so that I can stay home with our daughter. I am in the process of getting everything compleated for the state paper work to be sent in. Just wish I had kids now to make a little bit of income, while I wait.

I noticed there are several providers here on the board in MI. How do you advertise and get referrals. I will be registering through the 4c program here in Kent County.
momofboys 03:16 PM 02-09-2010
Hi! Welcome to the site! I grew up in a very northwestern part of Ohio (Wauseon/Napoleon area) so we are (were) practically neighbors!!! Right now I live in western Central Ohio (close to Columbus). I also have a degree but am staying at home with my youngest & providing daycare until my son gets into Kindergarten (not for 3 more years). Everyone on here is so helpful & insightful. I've certainly learned a bunch!
Childminder 05:18 PM 02-09-2010
Hi Angela! I'm from MI over in Oakland Cty and have gotten many referrals from 4c's so that is a great way to build your business. Currently my enrollment is down by 1/3 of my capacity so am looking for kids too. The economy sucks for sure. Going to get a banner for my front fence because I'm on a busy road and I also give a tuition cut to current parents for any referrals that enroll, that has helped in the past.
emosks 06:12 PM 02-09-2010
Welcome! What city are you in?

We're in GR. We also go through the food program at 4cs.
booroo 07:08 PM 02-09-2010
Welcome. I have no advice on getting kids, as Im working on it myself. But I wanted to say welcome.
Carole's Daycare 05:41 AM 02-10-2010
When I'm really in need of enrollment I make brochures and put on bulletin boards at stores etc, and at the temp/employment agency w/ a special deal for drop ins to keep money flowing til spaces are full. Havent needed to in a couple years, but I expect a current family is leaving (county assistance getting cut) and I'll need to replace their income. Usually I just let my referral agency, the local childcare association know I need referrals, then put an ad in the Sun paper.
actaktmdt 06:54 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
Welcome! What city are you in?

We're in GR. We also go through the food program at 4cs.
right on the Grandville, Wyoming border...where are you?
emosks 07:11 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
right on the Grandville, Wyoming border...where are you?
In Kentwood area near 28th Street.
momofsix 03:31 PM 02-10-2010
Hi and welcome!
I'm in GR too, SE side of the city! So far I have always been full with people from our church and neighborhood. It's a huge blessing to have families that I know already and trust, and also know their parenting views. If you can network through a church if you have one, and let all your neighbors, relatives (and everyone you can thinkof) know, that is what's worked for me!
Tags:economy, members
Reply Up