Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Possess a Child to do Things Like This?
mac60 06:37 AM 02-08-2010
The girls had spread out a blanket and set up a "Picnic" on the floor. My almost 3 yr old goes over (while I am standing less than 10 feet from him in the same room) and starts jumping on and kicking their stuff all over. OMG, why why why. He is now spending a long long long time out in the kitchen to reflect on his behavior. If this was my kid.......he would of gotten spanked because that type of behavior is totally uncalled for and unacceptable.
Carole's Daycare 06:46 AM 02-08-2010
This 3 yr old may have been angry that he was left out, he wanted the food toys involved in picnic, the space the blanket was on for trucks, or just had a crappy morning. Could be when Dad's mad he throws & breaks things so thats what he feels is an appropriate expression of anger. Bummer he didn't give much warning. By three he should be communicating verbally his frustrations better, helping prevent explosive outbursts. Might have to do a unit on feelings w/ pictures and words and so on- Of course in addition to big discipline over todays behavior- not just a time out- but a loss of priviledge for today of playing w/ certain toy- reminding him- you lost the privilege because you kicked the picnic stuff- that's not how you treat my toys or other kids.
mac60 06:58 AM 02-08-2010
He was not left out of anything. He was in the same area actually playing with another child and just walked over and did this. Then, I put him in the chair in the kitchen, and I caught him standing on it. I doubt very much that his dad was doing these "same" actions.
Carole's Daycare 07:16 AM 02-08-2010
If his dad stands on the kitchen chair he must be kinda special, huh? but, dad may be a jerk like that at home and blow up. Or the kid was dropped on his head? lol. Refer to other post discussing helmets lol. Defiant little bugger. Is this new, or is he new? It might take a while of consistent consequences to make a difference. If he's been there a while & nothing works he might need a referral to get some real help.
tenderhearts 07:25 AM 02-08-2010
Oh my goodness I feel for you, 2 weeks ago, my almost 3 yr old dcb did the same thing for about 1 week. He doesn't generally do these kinds of things and then same thing with this evil look he'd walk right over to where someone was playing and knock everything down then he's laugh. It was only for about one week though thank goodness. He has been a little more "grabby" then he normally is so I don't know if it's a stage or what. Hope it gets better for you.
mac60 07:31 AM 02-08-2010
This child has always been a little burger. He knows when he does wrong. He will tell on his self when parents pick up.
tenderhearts 07:54 AM 02-08-2010
I have a different dcb who always tells on himself when his parents pick up too, usually if the time out was fairly recent, I often wonder if this child ever hears what I'm even saying to him but he must get something out of it, at least some of the time lol.
Pammie 08:18 AM 02-08-2010
I think some kids do this stuff just for attention from the other kids. I used to have a dcb in care that would do similar stuff anytime the girls would set up a playset (never did it to boys). One time, the girls were setting up a tea party outside and had this nice little vase of dandelions for their centerpiece - - he walked right over, popped the flowers out of the vase and ate them - just to see the reaction from the girls! But he would do that kind of stuff all the time! He's 12 now, and last summer, when he stopped to visit me, he told me that he gets the attention of pretty girls at the pool by jumping in the water and splashing them!!
Persephone 08:56 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I think some kids do this stuff just for attention from the other kids. I used to have a dcb in care that would do similar stuff anytime the girls would set up a playset (never did it to boys). One time, the girls were setting up a tea party outside and had this nice little vase of dandelions for their centerpiece - - he walked right over, popped the flowers out of the vase and ate them - just to see the reaction from the girls! But he would do that kind of stuff all the time! He's 12 now, and last summer, when he stopped to visit me, he told me that he gets the attention of pretty girls at the pool by jumping in the water and splashing them!!
LOL! That's funny about eating the flowers!

I agree that it's more then likely for attention. I'd say he just got the urge to do it. No real reason why.

I have to kinda stick up for the kid, because...that's my son. That's what he would do. And I have spanked him for it and put him in time out for it and talked to him about it...and...and...and...

That's just the way he is. And I can't wait for him to out grow it! !
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:06 PM 02-08-2010
Sounds like something my 4 year old daughter would do to her sisters....but NOTHING she would ever do in a daycare setting...she was in daycare last year and was quiet as a mouse.
Unregistered 09:25 AM 02-09-2010
I think that is just boys they do the darndest things. My son is three and a half and he destories the girls rooms. I have to lock him out of it. I have gotten on the him many times. He is very much a hand full he has always been even before he was born. I had more complications when I was pregnet and during the forced csectins. He was tranvers lie and wanted to come out side ways. My friend has 3 boy and anouther has 4 they are such a handful. Now granted all are no but most are. They are more prone to ADD, and ADHD also.
melissa ann 03:38 PM 02-09-2010
My own son who is almost 3 does the same thing. If the kids, my daughter included are having a "party" and set up their play table with plates, "food", etc he will just take one swipe and knock everything on the floor. It doesn't matter if he was playing with them or not. I'm afraid my son is a little bully. If he wants something he will walk right over to someone and just grab it out of their hands and shove them on the floor. When we are "home" without the daycare kids, he's ususlly okay. He's not ignored or anything. We do craft time, learning time, and one-on-one time. I hate to just say that's a boy for you as a few people have told me. Boy or not. IT's not acceptable.
Chickenhauler 05:28 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think that is just boys they do the darndest things. My son is three and a half and he destories the girls rooms. I have to lock him out of it. I have gotten on the him many times. He is very much a hand full he has always been even before he was born. I had more complications when I was pregnet and during the forced csectins. He was tranvers lie and wanted to come out side ways. My friend has 3 boy and anouther has 4 they are such a handful. Now granted all are no but most are. They are more prone to ADD, and ADHD also.
Yup, simply put, he's a 3 yr old boy, they're hell on wheels.

That doesn't mean the behavior is acceptable.
Tags:picnic
Reply Up