Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Take Infants?
DCMomOf3 02:28 PM 09-09-2010
I know of many home daycares in my area that won't take infants and I'm a little surprised. If you have openings why wouldn't you take infants? I have been asked by I would guess 6 families in the last few months that say no one is taking infants. If you aren't I would love to know why. I feel like I'm one of the only ones who will even consider it, at least around here.
MyAngels 02:42 PM 09-09-2010
It's the same thing here, but I love taking infants. That way I get to "raise" them into my way of doing things lol. My DH has always been glad that I do take infants, since I'd probably have wanted a lot more kids if I didn't!
casg415 03:20 PM 09-09-2010
what's the benefit of enrolling infants? i know they cry more often and they need more cleaning, but aside from that caregivers don't have to teach them much, just play and fed them when they're awake. having 3 infants and 3 toddlers would be ideal one a one man operation and an assistant.
SilverSabre25 03:32 PM 09-09-2010
I do...and feel bad for charging so much because they sleep half the day! Sure there are diapers to change, it's harder to get outside since they can't move under their own power, and they can't feed themselves, but if you get a good routine going, they are WAY easier than most other ages!
DancingQueen 03:49 PM 09-09-2010
In Connecticut you can only take 2 children under the age of 2.
That leaves a lot of parents with babies fighting for daycare spots.
I would prefer not to take them. I will but I just prefer when they can walk well.
I like to be able to go outside a lot and I like when they can walk in the snow without falling down every 5 seconds...LOL
I have an interview Sunday for a 6 month old though - and hopefully I'll get her since I just lost a family of 2.
I do charge more for infants.
mrs.meg 03:49 PM 09-09-2010
I do not right now because I am going to school and have to have set times when the kids sleep so that I can do homework.

I think it is true what the pp said about getting them to go your way. The easiest one I have has been here since he was a year old, he is 3 and goes with the flow. It is so much easier when they have been here since they were babies.
newtodaycare22 04:05 PM 09-09-2010
I don't take infants. My program is for 3-5 year olds (or potty trained 2's). I have several reasons for not taking the youngest ones....

I run the daycare like a preschool. I like being able to "Teach" still ( I used to teach kindergarten). We do abc 123's and I love it.

I like having one age group and being able to plan activities that they can all do together.

I have never even held an infant Seriously though, I love kids but have NO experience with under age 2...and the first experiences I want will be with my own kids one day
kendallina 05:03 PM 09-09-2010
I don't, but it's because I do preschool only. If I did childcare (not preschool) then I still wouldn't take infants. I'm just not that into them . I really really prefer toddler and up, they can do so much, they're just so much more fun to me.
legomom922 06:21 PM 09-09-2010
That is all I take and then I boot them out of here when they are 2-2 1/2. Infants for me are easier. All Ihave to do is change their diaper, feed them, and let them nap. I also like the bonding that happens with a newborn, and you get to teach them & raise them your way. I dont want to have to go outside with a bunch of toddlers, and I dont want to do crafts or hear them yak & scream & argue all day with each other. I wouldnt have it any other way! And yes, you can get top dollar for infants! I have in myhandbook that I am not a preschool teacher or a early childhood educator...I am a loving nurturing aunt and they will be taught only the basics, after that they can go to a preschool.
ninosqueridos 06:27 PM 09-09-2010
Just one infant and the rest are 18mo-3y. I will not have more than one infant at a time since all the rest are bigger and I don't have help.
MN Mom 08:36 PM 09-09-2010
I was caring for 2 infants (+ 5 SA'rs not including my own 4 children) the last 3 weeks of my day care stint. I will never take infants again. I had days where both of the babies were screaming bloody murder for 2-3 hours at a time, top that off with 9 SA children running around the house, in and out and uncontrolled because I'm trying to tend to 2 screaming babies...forget it. I really don't care for babies beyond an occasional visit, preferably from family members =). I like them starting around 1 - 1 1/2. That's when they get really fun! If I do this again, I'll take 18months - 4 years old. That is the age group I'm best with. Once they turn 5 and go to K, they'd be done here.
misol 09:02 PM 09-09-2010
I have a 14month old who has been with me since 6 months. He was a very easy baby but I don't plan to enroll anymore infants unless I am absolutely desperate. Since I don't have an assistant I find that having an infant among preschoolers is too limiting when it comes to things like field trips, preschool lessons, crafts, naps, meals, etc. It makes it very hard to stick to my schedule for the older kids because infants need everything on demand. I've been doing daycare for a year and I've decided that I do not like mixed age groups at all. I prefer either all infants, all toddlers, or all preschoolers. So I will probably try to enroll infants when my current group ages out.
tymaboy 05:22 AM 09-10-2010
I prefer infants over older kids. When DCB (2 1/2yr) goes off to school I am thinking of only doing 18 months & younger.
seashell 05:27 AM 09-10-2010
I have taken infants in the past and they are definately easier to enroll and keep but...

1 - For little people, they take up big space. Baby swings, exersaucers, baby gyms...

2 - It's hard to give them floor time with toddlers around! The toddlers are playing on the baby gym, stepping on the baby, etc. I feel guilty letting a baby play in a crib.

3 - It's hard to run a curriculum with the older children when there is a crying baby needing a bottle.

4 - I have a hard enough time supervising lunch time for the older kids let alone add spoon feeding a baby to the mix.

Just my opinion, but this is why I don't take them till they can walk.
legomom922 08:19 AM 09-10-2010
I think its easier if you take infants and dont mix them with toddlers! Either take toddlers or take infants but dont do both. I dont need as many toys, and I dont need all the crafys supplies that take up a whole bunch of room either. I also think its easier to put my house back together again on teh weekends, because the baby stuff that was mentioned, like the exersaucers, highchairs, bouncy seats, go right back into my basement when I close up shop on Fridays. Then you would never know I had a daycare here!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:44 AM 09-10-2010
I take them asap after they are born. 4-12 weeks. I love having a mixed group. Remind me this in 3-5 months when I add two more newborns to the mix, lol. I dont use swings, saucers or jumpers. They lay on the floor until they can sit, then they are plopped down with the other kids. I love my mixed age group. I have a feeling I am more strict than most others.... we are very scheduled and structured. Our routine is our lifesaver
MarinaVanessa 09:51 AM 09-10-2010
I also love taking infants. I have 1 spot open at the moment for an infant which is usually very hard to find so I find it odd that I have it open. Everyone around here usually fights for an infant spot because of the ratio. For a small licenced family daycare home our ratio is 6 max and no more than 3 can be infants. Infants also bring in more income in my area so you'd have to either have a pre-school only curriculum or be nuts not to take them lol . Or maybe I just love babies, especially the boys.
momofboys 11:50 AM 09-10-2010
I take infants. Love 'em! I have one starting in October & another possibly coming in March! Both boys!
juliebug 02:34 PM 09-14-2010
i take infants i have one sleeping by me now! i would love to be an infant only care but just can't let my baby go once they grow up! most place here can only take 2 infants so they never have openings
Abigail 11:36 PM 09-14-2010
I love infants. I would love to take 4 infants, which is the limit if you're infant only, but I can still take 3 infants and 4 toddler/preschoolers so I don't want to limit myself to only infants. Besides, a lot of families around here have kids who are 2 years apart and who wants to bring their children to two different daycares? Last week, we split up the daycare kids into two groups and I kept the 2 two-year-olds and 3 between 8 months and 16 months (or so!) and I had a blast! Even though I just love caring for babies, I enjoy talking to young children and teaching them. They're so curious to learn and happy....most of the time. LOL
Tags:infant care
Reply Up