Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh, My Driveway
midaycare 06:00 AM 12-14-2016
We have a super tough driveway in the winter. It's hilly, steep and gets icy. This morning I had 2 parents gets stuck in my driveway. One parent we diverted to another driveway to park and walk over so she wouldn't hit the other 2 stuck cars. Then she's annoyed because she has to walk so far (I would be too) in this freezing cold weather.

Any tips besides salt? It's $50 for 200 lbs, and it takes 100 lbs for 1 day on a really icy day.
Unregistered 06:07 AM 12-14-2016
I fill 5 gallon buckets with sand from my sandbox in the fall, then mix it with ice melt salt for traction. In the spring I buy some fresh sand for the sandbox so the sand purchase does double duty.
daycarediva 06:18 AM 12-14-2016
I was just going to say mix it with sand. Can you do the end of the driveway and a path to walk? How long is the driveway?

We are moving and the house has a 300ft long driveway. It's been a PITA so far this winter but the sand/salt mix helps!
Play Care 06:23 AM 12-14-2016
I warn parents about my driveway during the interview and let them know that if they don't have 4 wheel/AWD they are NOT making it up during storm conditions.
The guy who plows out the driveway does drop sand when it's icy, but there are times it doesn't really help.
No one has ever complained, but if they did I would give them the option of paying for commercial plow service for my Christmas gift.
midaycare 06:38 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I warn parents about my driveway during the interview and let them know that if they don't have 4 wheel/AWD they are NOT making it up during storm conditions.
The guy who plows out the driveway does drop sand when it's icy, but there are times it doesn't really help.
No one has ever complained, but if they did I would give them the option of paying for commercial plow service for my Christmas gift.
I warn about this too, but I still feel guilty. Most people tend to start when there's no snow on the ground and really have no idea what they are getting into.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
We have a super tough driveway in the winter. It's hilly, steep and gets icy. This morning I had 2 parents gets stuck in my driveway. One parent we diverted to another driveway to park and walk over so she wouldn't hit the other 2 stuck cars. Then she's annoyed because she has to walk so far (I would be too) in this freezing cold weather.

Any tips besides salt? It's $50 for 200 lbs, and it takes 100 lbs for 1 day on a really icy day.
Is the issue ice or is it because it's too snowy?

My driveway (at my house) is almost a mile long, has two flat curves and one the curves while going up a fairly steep hill.

Granted we don't have daycare parent traffic on our driveway but I understand the perils of having a long driveway, living in a snowy climate and needing to account for more than one vehicle on the driveway at a time.....

So curious if the issue is ice so the driveway is slippery or if it's an issue of clearing snow so the driveway is driveable... depending on the issue, the solution we use varies.
midaycare 06:42 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I was just going to say mix it with sand. Can you do the end of the driveway and a path to walk? How long is the driveway?

We are moving and the house has a 300ft long driveway. It's been a PITA so far this winter but the sand/salt mix helps!
Our driveway is 1/10th of a mile, so a little over 500 feet. We do have it plowed, but that doesn't help with ice. Sand is impossible to find starting in about August here. We live on huge beaches and sand dunes, but they are currently covered with snow And I think taking from them is illegal anyway.

Maybe a gravel mix?
midaycare 06:43 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I fill 5 gallon buckets with sand from my sandbox in the fall, then mix it with ice melt salt for traction. In the spring I buy some fresh sand for the sandbox so the sand purchase does double duty.
Good tip for next year!
Snowmom 07:40 AM 12-14-2016
This reminded me of crazydaycarelady's driveway/gate issue last year.

I sympathize! I'm dreading when dh leaves on business trips next month. That means I need to get up and do the plowing. Yuck!
laundrymom 07:42 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Our driveway is 1/10th of a mile, so a little over 500 feet. We do have it plowed, but that doesn't help with ice. Sand is impossible to find starting in about August here. We live on huge beaches and sand dunes, but they are currently covered with snow And I think taking from them is illegal anyway.

Maybe a gravel mix?
You should be able to order it from your local gravel yard or building supply company sand is a common mix item for mortar and concrete and I believe that most places generally stock those your round if not they be happy to order for you
Ariana 07:47 AM 12-14-2016
I used to live WAY up north and we never used salt on the roads we used sand. Sand mixed with salt is great because the salt melts the ice and then the sand gets trapped in the ice making traction. Salt only works in warmish temperatures.

Another idea is that Eco Traction. I am not sure if they sell it in the USA as it is manufactured in Canada but it is some sort of lava rock that melts the ice in the sun and is very much like gravel. It works really well and I prefer it to salt. It is very expensive though so if you have sand/gravel use that instead.
Ariana 07:49 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
You should be able to order it from your local gravel yard or building supply company sand is a common mix item for mortar and concrete and I believe that most places generally stock those your round if not they be happy to order for you
I would think anything that can create traction would work. Just peruse the hardware store and buy a bag of anything "sand" like...could be limestone, mortor mix. I think anything might work.
midaycare 08:09 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is the issue ice or is it because it's too snowy?

My driveway (at my house) is almost a mile long, has two flat curves and one the curves while going up a fairly steep hill.

Granted we don't have daycare parent traffic on our driveway but I understand the perils of having a long driveway, living in a snowy climate and needing to account for more than one vehicle on the driveway at a time.....

So curious if the issue is ice so the driveway is slippery or if it's an issue of clearing snow so the driveway is driveable... depending on the issue, the solution we use varies.
It's the ice. We have someone to snow plow for us in two or more inches. The issue is the steep hill, combined with when the temp drops and the less than two inches turns to ice. If you don't have a good winter vehicle, it's near impossible to get up the hill.

Salt makes it possible when it's above -15. But it is expensive!
midaycare 08:13 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Okay, great tip! I'm just picturing play sand type sand. I'm not savvy in this way at all. But if you want to have a conversation about historical figures, IEP'S, natural medications, or literacy in education, I'm your gal. In other words, I'm not very useful
midaycare 08:15 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I used to live WAY up north and we never used salt on the roads we used sand. Sand mixed with salt is great because the salt melts the ice and then the sand gets trapped in the ice making traction. Salt only works in warmish temperatures.

Another idea is that Eco Traction. I am not sure if they sell it in the USA as it is manufactured in Canada but it is some sort of lava rock that melts the ice in the sun and is very much like gravel. It works really well and I prefer it to salt. It is very expensive though so if you have sand/gravel use that instead.
Interesting! I thought salt was "the" thing.
daycarediva 08:18 AM 12-14-2016
Was just going to say a gravel company. That's where we get ours. Dh just had them deliver a bunch.

We are seriously considering a heated driveway for next year after how this year went so far. Dh could put it in, it would just be parts.

I am VERY jealous of the mile long driveway BC. We love the privacy even not seeing our home from the road allows us.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:39 AM 12-14-2016
I agree with the others. Call a gravel company and mix the sand and salt. Not sure where you are in the midwest, but we are getting a warm up to about 20 degrees (ND) next week, so it might be an ideal time to do it.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I am VERY jealous of the mile long driveway BC. We love the privacy even not seeing our home from the road allows us.
This was me coming home from work the other night.
It's a minute long but you can see the overall "appearance" and the privacy we have.... at the 50 second mark you can see the corner that curves and goes uphill at the same time. When you see the garage lights at the top of the hill, you have reached my yard.

I thought it was pretty so I hit video and recorded the drive up the driveway...

https://youtu.be/WNHVeDQoApA
midaycare 08:57 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I agree with the others. Call a gravel company and mix the sand and salt. Not sure where you are in the midwest, but we are getting a warm up to about 20 degrees (ND) next week, so it might be an ideal time to do it.
West MI. We're getting that warmup too. A whole 20 degrees will put us at high 20's Bring out the sandals!!!
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 12-14-2016
Road salt is only effective the most and the least at certain temperatures.

Good info here: http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...en-does-it-not

My husband always makes sure to create a good solid base of packed snow on the driveway (never plows straight down to the gravel) and then applies salt when its warmer/sunny out but mostly uses sand. Sometimes cheap inexpensive cat litter (it does the trick fantastic too!) and calls it good.

We don't have much of an ice build up because applying the sand/salt and cat litter regularly as part of his maintenance plan helps alot! We usually only have to apply it at the crest of the hill.

Otherwise, most folks in my neck of the woods understand winter road travel and there are very few that don't have vehicles equipped for winter road travel around here. Even in town, there are areas that certain cars won't or can't go.
jenboo 09:00 AM 12-14-2016
It's a minute long but you can see the overall "appearance" and the privacy we have.... at the 50 second mark you can see the corner that curves and goes uphill at the same time. When you see the garage lights at the top of the hill, you have reached my yard.

I thought it was pretty so I hit video and recorded the drive up the driveway...

I wish i had land and a long driveway!

Here is my driveway ��

Well that didn't work.
daycarediva 09:07 AM 12-14-2016

I love it!!!! There are only a few dozen homes with private drives in the area and most start in the millions, so we are fortunate to even be able to own something with any length/privacy from the road. The 'long driveway' was our #1 want on the real estate checklist. So much so that we bought the house that needed a complete overhaul before moving in, because of the driveway. The minute we pulled in, dh said "What's the asking price and what are we offering?"
mommyneedsadayoff 09:20 AM 12-14-2016

My husband always makes sure to create a good solid base of packed snow on the driveway (never plows straight down to the gravel) and then applies salt when its warmer/sunny out but mostly uses sand. Sometimes cheap inexpensive cat litter (it does the trick fantastic too!) and calls it good.

We don't have much of an ice build up because applying the sand/salt and cat litter regularly as part of his maintenance plan helps alot! We usually only have to apply it at the crest of the hill.

Otherwise, most folks in my neck of the woods understand winter road travel and there are very few that don't have vehicles equipped for winter road travel around here. Even in town, there are areas that certain cars won't or can't go.
I love cheap cat litter! We use it on our walkways and deck! Very pretty driveway too btw! I love country life...nothing like having your own little piece of paradise!
midaycare 09:30 AM 12-14-2016
Nice driveway BC! It is wonderful not being able to see neighbors. We don't have near as much land as you (just 7 acres - I think you have 40 or thereabouts?) but we have 7 in town, which is pretty unheard of. Still only takes me 5 minutes to get to the grocery store and the beach, yet I don't have to deal with neighbors and such.
Ariana 09:44 AM 12-14-2016

We never shovel down to the pavement. Pavement is the worst for slippery conditions. A nice packed snow level with sand on top is how we did things up north.

Where I am now the temperature hovers pretty low around -5 or -10 Celcius on average and we get freezing rain frequently. Freezing rain on pavement is the worst. Freezing rain on snow just makes crunchy snow! Of course when the snow is continually melting down to the pavement like it does here you don't have much choice but to us salt and sand.

My City douses the roads in salt, so much so that the streets are white. It is SO destructive to the environment and cars. We have a relatibely new car and it is already rusting. In other provinces they don't use salt at all like in Alberta but they get much colder temps so their vehicles are rust free!
Play Care 09:48 AM 12-14-2016
So jealous of your trees, BC!
mommyneedsadayoff 10:01 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

We never shovel down to the pavement. Pavement is the worst for slippery conditions. A nice packed snow level with sand on top is how we did things up north.

Where I am now the temperature hovers pretty low around -5 or -10 Celcius on average and we get freezing rain frequently. Freezing rain on pavement is the worst. Freezing rain on snow just makes crunchy snow! Of course when the snow is continually melting down to the pavement like it does here you don't have much choice but to us salt and sand.

My City douses the roads in salt, so much so that the streets are white. It is SO destructive to the environment and cars. We have a relatibely new car and it is already rusting. In other provinces they don't use salt at all like in Alberta but they get much colder temps so their vehicles are rust free!
Growing up in ND, we always knew the MN cars bc they used salt and they were always rusting out. We use gravel and sand around here.

BC, does MN still use mostly salt? I just remember growing up that it was an issue if you were buying a car from someone in MN. Had to check for rust bc of the salt. Jusg curious if its still the same.
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Growing up in ND, we always knew the MN cars bc they used salt and they were always rusting out. We use gravel and sand around here.

BC, does MN still use mostly salt? I just remember growing up that it was an issue if you were buying a car from someone in MN. Had to check for rust bc of the salt. Jusg curious if its still the same.
Calcium Chloride is standard for the state but most counties use Magnesium Chloride since it is cheaper.

Rust still happens but now cars/trucks have the option of coming straight from the dealership having had a spray on type liner or clear rust coat type application done so you can avoid having your car/truck rust to death as quickly. Also since most cars are now made more from materials like plastics, synthetics and fiberglass etc, I don't it's such a big deal anymore.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:54 AM 12-14-2016
Calcium Chloride is standard for the state but most counties use Magnesium Chloride since it is cheaper.

Rust still happens but now cars/trucks have the option of coming straight from the dealership having had a spray on type liner or clear rust coat type application done so you can avoid having your car/truck rust to death as quickly. Also since most cars are now made more from materials like plastics, synthetics and fiberglass etc, I don't it's such a big deal anymore.
Thank you for the info!
midaycare 12:21 PM 12-14-2016
This has been a great thread everyone, thanks! Hubby was home today and we now have everything we need for the winter, prepped and ready to go!
Reply Up