Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Questions From A Newbie Working In Child Care
Deedub 08:18 PM 04-03-2017
I just started a month ago in the field, but am a mom of three for 16 years and, while I am studying, I have some questions I'd love responses to, to get a better idea of expectations.

1. Food handling: what's the standard in dealing with expired milk? Never use, same day/next day only? Is 5 days expired typically served?

2. Playgrounds: are loose bricks, broken equipment and toys, building materials in children's reach, and similar common or would that be a red flag?

3. When you work there AND have your child there, do directors typically get upset if you bring in sick kids or wouldn't they prefer you not?

4. How often do violation reports happen and bring in investigations?

5. If lice is reported by a parent is it proper to inform all parents? Is it okay to keep it to yourself?

I'll start there.
dreamer 08:45 PM 04-03-2017
I'm studying myself, but I can answer some of these. Answers will come up as you get further!

1. Never serve anything expired.
2. Broken playground equipment is a no-no. In my state, monthly maintenance checks are required to make sure it's all safe and stable. Tools, chemicals or anything sharp within reach of children are a red flag.
3. Kids with contagious sicknesses are not allowed in a daycare. If they were dropped off before the sickness was noticed, the child has to be kept away or "isolated" from the others (but still within your hearing and in my state-- sight as well) until their parents can pick them up.
4. I have no idea.
5. In FL, lice has to have been treated before a child with it is allowed in. Proof of treatment is required! Whether or not parents MUST be informed, I'm not too sure...
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by Deedub:
I just started a month ago in the field, but am a mom of three for 16 years and, while I am studying, I have some questions I'd love responses to, to get a better idea of expectations.

1. Food handling: what's the standard in dealing with expired milk? Never use, same day/next day only? Is 5 days expired typically served?
Never serve anything expired. A good rule of thumb is "When in doubt, throw it out"

2. Playgrounds: are loose bricks, broken equipment and toys, building materials in children's reach, and similar common or would that be a red flag?
ALL equipment, including the physical building should be in good standing and not be in need of repairs. Anything needing repair should be removed from the play ground or sectioned off so that kids do not have access to anything dangerous.

3. When you work there AND have your child there, do directors typically get upset if you bring in sick kids or wouldn't they prefer you not?
Generally sick kids are not allowed at any daycare center/program.

In my state/area most child cares do not allow parents that work for them to enroll their own children either. Too much liability and too many issues crop up when mom or dad work where the child attends.

Depends on how well the program director or the provider/owner operates his/her business. If you are a rule follower and do things according to the state licensing regulations you should be good. If you cut corners and do things correctly only when someone is watching, the violations and citations are probably more common.

5. If lice is reported by a parent is it proper to inform all parents? Is it okay to keep it to yourself?
I ALWAYS tell parents any time their child potentially comes in contact with ANYTHING contagious. I don't name names but I definitely tell the if they've been exposed to something they should be watching out for.
debbiedoeszip 07:27 AM 04-04-2017

I'll start there.
Just based on your first question, I'd not want to work at that daycare. Any daycare that wants to save a few dollars by serving expired food is a crappy daycare.
Cat Herder 08:01 AM 04-04-2017
[i]1. Food handling: what's the standard in dealing with expired milk? Never use, same day/next day only? Is 5 days expired typically served?[/I]

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health.../22/id/640141/

Articles like the one above are the reason many directors assigned the budget may rationalize the choice to not "waste resources". Personally, I would not serve.

Print your States playground inspection checklist. It tells you what is expected and the steps to take if your concerns are not followed up on.

Generally they expect you to have back up care, like every other employee in every other field. They get frustrated when employees feel that since they work with kids they get a pass on common parenting issues that every other working parent faces. IMO, You should lose both your job and your child's slot for knowingly bringing a sick child to daycare without permission. Many providers offer mild ill care these days.

IME, every single time. I have known few be substantiated. Most come after a termination of services or employment; they are pretty aware of the routine.

If a child in care has lice all should be informed. No identifying information should be given. Education resources should be available.
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 04-04-2017
4. How often do violation reports happen and bring in investigations?.
Clarifying: Did you mean "how often do violation reports result in investigations?

That is how I understood it.
racemom 11:26 AM 04-04-2017
I work in a small privately owned centers, so here is my thoughts:

1. Health department guidelines: No food or drinks can be served past expiration dates, everything must be dated. If you open a can of beans, you must put on it what date it was opened, and they will check your refrigerator.

2.also a health department issue: our center was written up one year because the shingles on top of our playhouse were hail damaged. Had to tear shingles off and replace all of them. It didn't matter that none of the kids could reach the roof, it was a safety hazard.

3. Treated the same as any other family. If they are sick they should be home. Colds and such we allow.

4. Rarely if ever. If there is a report, it is usually someone mad and unsubstantiated. I think we have been reported once, for being over ratio by a parent who was a drop in, and was refused care because we were full. We were not over ratio, but the inspector came to investigate.

5. Don't know if it is a rule or just courtesy, but we always post anything contagious.
Deedub 05:23 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Clarifying: Did you mean "how often do violation reports result in investigations?

That is how I understood it.
Yes that's what I meant. Poor sentence structure on my par.
Tags:employee - contract, employee - training, food safety, illness policy, playground - safety, violations
Reply Up