Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>O.K. Laugh At Me!
Michelle 12:23 PM 03-14-2013
I finally broke down and hired a housekeeper and I kept cleaning up before she got here because I didn't want her to think we were pigs!

Willow 12:29 PM 03-14-2013
I'm sure most people totally do the same thing so don't feel bad!
Play Care 12:32 PM 03-14-2013
I used to do the same thing!

Although in my defense, it's because I realized my housekeeper couldn't deep clean around all our crap
Michelle 12:38 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I used to do the same thing!

Although in my defense, it's because I realized my housekeeper couldn't deep clean around all our crap

Springdaze 12:39 PM 03-14-2013
I would have to do the same!
just_peachy 12:42 PM 03-14-2013
I've been really considering this. What do house cleaners do? I keep a tidy house, but I want someone to take care of the baseboards, fingerprints, corners of the floor, cabinet fronts, window sills, windows, edge vacuum. Mop. Toilets. Showers. OH, the wishes keep coming!
MNMum 12:44 PM 03-14-2013
And this is why I haven't hired a housekeeper. By the time she got here, her job would be done, I'd have to pay her, and then I'd be mad at myself. Not worth it. Although, I'm as I'm getting more and more pregnant, I've begun to consider it again...
Oneluckymom 12:47 PM 03-14-2013
You're not the only one who does this what about when a handyman comes over, plumber, etc
jenn 01:04 PM 03-14-2013
I would have to clean for days before letting someone come clean my house Seriously though, I would love to have someone come out a couple of time a year to do the extras (baseboards, windows, curtains, ...)
Michelle 03:11 PM 03-14-2013
Last night was my first time and would you guess that she is friends with my old neighbors? what a small world!
I almost wanted to make her sign a confidentiality agreement

No, I just need someone to do all the stuff I can't get to. I have a lot of babies in diapers (8) and I am so exhausted due to my anemia and long hours.

I have all wood floors and crawling babies so she does the floors, dishes,wipes surfaces,bathroom,(she says she loves to clean bathrooms) I don't know anyone that does! and then the trash, she is just here 2 hours a night so I can shuttle my dd to all her activities.

So far I am very happy I just pay her $20 a day and my house is cleaned perfectly.
YHD2013 06:27 PM 03-14-2013
As a former nanny, I would always pre-clean the areas the kids used before the housekeeper came. I feel like they are there to do the "deep cleaning" not pick up toys and stuff so they can vacuum, wash floors, wash counters, and toilets etc. I think a lot of people do a "pre-clean" I personally would hire a housekeeper to do my floors, baseboards and all that more mundane stuff. But I also wouldn't expect them to come in and pick up after me before they clean. To me, they need to be able to do their job... and that to me is cleaning... not picking up and organizing my stuff first. Which, again, is why I would "pre-clean" former nanny-family's kids area before the housekeeper came. One time she caught me, and she said "I can do that" and I said "no, its not your job to pick up after everyone, they need to pick up after themselves so you can clean!" I know she appreciated it, because there was a day I came in late (and she came in early) and she had to spend 3, yes THREE hours picking up stuff before she could clean. And cleaning their house usually took 3 hours. I dunno... just my two cents
Sunchimes 06:37 PM 03-14-2013
We were talking to our son the other night. He's mid-40's, recently divorced but still living in their large house with their son, who works for his dad and goes to college. So, basically, 2 men who are rarely home. He said he was spending all day Saturday cleaning house and doing laundry but he wasn't comfortable letting in a stranger anymore. When he told me what he had been paying for once a week cleaning, I was ready to dump this child care gig, move to his town and become his housecleaner. One day a week was almost as much as I make for 2 dcks. Then I remembered that I love my dcks and don't want to give them up and also, that I really hate cleaning.
blandino 08:28 PM 03-14-2013
We actually cancelled the cleaners because we ways felt so pressured to have everything clean before they got there. It was to the point where we were stressed about something that should have been nice.
Starburst 09:08 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
I've been really considering this. What do house cleaners do? I keep a tidy house, but I want someone to take care of the baseboards, fingerprints, corners of the floor, cabinet fronts, window sills, windows, edge vacuum. Mop. Toilets. Showers. OH, the wishes keep coming!
When I was a housekeeper for a local family (stay at home mom but had 2 boys under 5 and two big dogs [both akitas- one was a wolf mix]) I would do whatever they needed me to do- she would either give me a list or tell me what she would like to be done. Her house was always messy (toys, blankets, clothes everywhere, dirty dishes, etc.) even when I eventually became their babysitter the house wasn't as messy but I still tried to clean up a bit when the kids went to bed like folding laundry, doing dishes, wipping counters -I hate down time and when I am in someone elses house I always feel like I have to help clean {why cant I do that at home? }

And at the FCC I used to work at I used to be the one that did most of the cleaning when I worked, usually if the regular assistant that did the end of the day cleaning was out for the day or if I was their at nap time. If I worked during naps I would do what she called "detail work" (what her daughter called 'b!+C# work') so I would clean the toilet and behind it; wipe down all the doors, nobs, walls, counters, tables, picture frames, tvs, mirrors, windows, windowsills, cubbies, shelves, and phones in the daycare rooms; scrub the baseboards, light switches, fire alarm, outlets (with a toothbrush using a paste mix of ajax cleaning powder and 409 - they looked brand new!); sort and organize all the toys, books, and movies in the playroom, closets and shelves; sweep (most of the house was hardwood or tile); and get any cobwebs out of the skylights, corners, and celing fans.

And in the backyard sweep the wood chips and leaves back into the playground area off the concrete; clean the outside of the windows/doors; wipe down the tables, riding toys, and play equipment; and take down any webs in the trees or on the house. LOL sometimes that would get me into a major cleaning mood and I would start cleaning the non daycare specific areas or still help clean after I was off the clock - my OCD kicks in once I start cleaning, I think its all the fumes from the cleaners. Oh, and BTW she also had a lady who would come in on Saturday mornings to clean her house (It was a big house). Infact I was friends with the providers daughter and one time when we first started hanging out I spent the night and the next morning I was trying to clean up my bedding off the floor and her daughter told me "Oh, don't worry the cleaning people will get it" boy was she in for a suprize when she became my roommate and she had to clean up after herself

I told my fiance after I start making a decent amount and have a good amount of kids (even if I was a small family daycare still) I might hire a part time assistant/sub, or even just a housekeeper to work one or two hours everyday, every other day, or even once a week to do the detailed cleaning that I would have no time to do before or after work. And BTW even if I had a housekeeper I would STILL make my children clean their own rooms- I aint raising no spoiled brats
MyAngels 05:21 AM 03-15-2013
Don't feel bad - my sis has been having some health problems and my mom mentioned that her house is suffering because she can't clean it right now. I said I'd be happy to hire Merry Maid's to come out to do a good cleaning, but mom said we'd have to clean up first . I was like , that's what they're supposed to do, right?
just_peachy 05:54 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
When I was a housekeeper for a local family (stay at home mom but had 2 boys under 5 and two big dogs [both akitas- one was a wolf mix]) I would do whatever they needed me to do- she would either give me a list or tell me what she would like to be done. Her house was always messy (toys, blankets, clothes everywhere, dirty dishes, etc.) even when I eventually became their babysitter there house wasn't as messy but I still tried to clean up a bit when the kids went to bed like folding laundry, doing dishes, wipping counters -I hate down time and when I am in someone elses house I always feel like I have to help clean {why cant I do that at home? }

And at the FCC I used to work at I used to be the one that did most of the cleaning when I worked, usually if the regular assistant that did the end of the day cleaning was out for the day or if I was their at nap time. If I worked during naps I would do what she called "detail work" (what her daughter called 'b!+C# work') so I would clean the toilet and behind it; wipe down all the doors, nobs, walls, counters, tables, picture frames, tvs, mirrors, windows, windowsills, cubbies, shelves, and phones in the daycare rooms; scrub the baseboards, light switches, fire alarm, outlets (with a toothbrush using a paste mix of ajax cleaning powder and 409 - they looked brand new!); sort and organize all the toys, books, and movies in the playroom, closets and shelves; sweep (most of the house was hardwood or tile); and get any cobwebs out of the skylights, corners, and celing fans.

And in the backyard sweep the wood chips and leaves back into the playground area off the concrete; clean the outside of the windows/doors; wipe down the tables, riding toys, and play equipment; and take down any webs in the trees or on the house. LOL sometimes that would get me into a major cleaning mood and I would start cleaning the non daycare specific areas or still help clean after I was off the clock - my OCD kicks in once I start cleaning, I think its all the fumes from the cleaners. Oh, and BTW she also had a lady who would come in on Saturday mornings to clean her house (It was a big house). Infact I was friends with the providers daughter and one time when we first started hanging out I spent the night and the next morning I was trying to clean up my bedding off the floor and her daughter told me "Oh, don't worry the cleaning people will get it" boy was she in for a suprize when she became my roommate and she had to clean up after herself

I told my fiance after I start making a decent amount and have a good amount of kids (even if I was a small family daycare still) I might hire a part time assistant/sub, or even just a housekeeper to work one or two hours everyday, every other day, or even once a week to do the detailed cleaning that I would have no time to do before or after work. And BTW even if I had a housekeeper I would STILL make my children clean their own rooms- I aint raising no spoiled brats
Starburst, after reading your posts for a while, I'm pretty sure you're a robot! Seriously, you do it all, girl!!!
Michelle 07:26 AM 03-15-2013
I totally agree with putting our shoes, coats, homework etc. away but I am such a nerd I was actually unloading the dishwasher because I didn't think she would know where our dishes went..

I was literally cleaning up until she got here until she told me to stop!

She is a sweetie pie, college student and I payed her extra because she was very brave!
Tonight I am going to have her clean all the toys.. something I hate doing every night!
What you guys said makes since though.. it is definitely not her job to pick up our personal items..just mop, vacuum, wipe and stuff!
Thanks guys
Starburst 08:46 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
Starburst, after reading your posts for a while, I'm pretty sure you're a robot! Seriously, you do it all, girl!!!
I was a substitute assistant so I pretty much would do whatever she needed me to do. I was even a sub provider for 1 day when it was one of her paid holiday and a mom dropped in anyway because she "forgot" (I don't think she did) and the provider had plans. And then since I was there she told a drop in that it was okay to bring their kid (only 3 kids- 2 were related so even if her home didn't have a license I would be okay).
Hazel 11:23 AM 03-18-2013
Haha! That's awesome! bc my fiancée has offered to hire someone to come in either once a week or just once a month to help me give the place a thorough cleaning (things that normally get put on the back burner, so to speak) and I said no! Bc I know I'd clean like a nutcase BEFORE they came! Haha
Tags:housekeeper
Reply Up