Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soda's Effect On Behavior
Crystal 01:51 PM 08-16-2013
It's bad enough when toddlers and preschoolers get soda AT ALL, but give em' four or more per day and it affects their behavior

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/sod...185802176.html

Gee, ya think?!
canadiancare 01:59 PM 08-16-2013
the one I wrote about in the sequencing thread weighs about 24 pounds at nearly 3 and is handed a can of diet coke when she is picked up. In the car seat to drive less than 3 minutes.
sharlan 02:04 PM 08-16-2013
I've never been one to give the kids a lot of soda, but I am known to let them have Sprite at McD's. I've never had a behavior issue after a child drank soda or ate something with sugar UNTIL my youngest grandson. I've always said "whatever" to the argument that sugar hypes kids up.

My youngest grandson (5) just has to smell something with sugar and he goes nuts. Give him a soda, any type of candy, sugary pastries, etc and you can literally see the change in his facial expressions. He goes from 0 to 90 in about 5 secs and then he's totally out of control. I have never experienced anything like that before.

He has torn my eldest dd's bedroom apart before, dumping drawers, because he could smell candy hidden in her bedroom and he wanted it.
Cradle2crayons 02:07 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It's bad enough when toddlers and preschoolers get soda AT ALL, but give em' four or more per day and it affects their behavior

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/sod...185802176.html

Gee, ya think?!
My kids rarely see a soda. Of course, I drink them lol. I've been drinking Pepsi since my parents put it in my baby bottle when I was 8 months old. Sad I know.

My kids do occasionally get a sprite though. And rarely a coke icee. And even more rarely a root beer. But they were five before they ever got their first sip of a sprite. No way in heck would I give them anything more than they already get. And no daycare kids get sodas here. Of course, my three sibling set kids get Mountain Dew at home quite often. Argggggggg.
Unregistered 02:15 PM 08-16-2013
4-5 a day? Really? People do that?

hmm anyone thinking that a parent who provides their child with 4-5 pops a day might make other parenting choices that also impact behavior.

My child is nearly 8 and I'm thinking her pop intake for her entire life would not yet reach a full can. Mind you we seldom have it in the house either. Not that we don't have other vices or eat perfectly by any means.
canadiancare 05:21 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
My kids rarely see a soda. Of course, I drink them lol. I've been drinking Pepsi since my parents put it in my baby bottle when I was 8 months old. Sad I know.

My kids do occasionally get a sprite though. And rarely a coke icee. And even more rarely a root beer. But they were five before they ever got their first sip of a sprite. No way in heck would I give them anything more than they already get. And no daycare kids get sodas here. Of course, my three sibling set kids get Mountain Dew at home quite often. Argggggggg.
do you have any kidney stone issues? My dad lives on pepsi and he has one stone after the other.

I was a coke addict but I have broken the habit now will have maybe a can a month.
Cradle2crayons 05:28 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
do you have any kidney stone issues? My dad lives on pepsi and he has one stone after the other.

I was a coke addict but I have broken the habit now will have maybe a can a month.
I've never had a kidney stone. I do have a very rare genetic kidney disease. I say genetic but one of my distant cousins has a form of it and we are the only two in my family that has it. It isn't related to soda though its a physical defect. I'm one of only two in my state with e same exact variation. My cousin is one of a handful in the state with the variation he has.

As far as the kidney stones, I don't drink twenty Pepsi a day but I think some people are just more predisposed to them than others.
canadiancare 05:38 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I've never had a kidney stone. I do have a very rare genetic kidney disease. I say genetic but one of my distant cousins has a form of it and we are the only two in my family that has it. It isn't related to soda though its a physical defect. I'm one of only two in my state with e same exact variation. My cousin is one of a handful in the state with the variation he has.

As far as the kidney stones, I don't drink twenty Pepsi a day but I think some people are just more predisposed to them than others.
for sure- they run in my family but the phosphoric acid is supposed to be bad for you and my dad just won't stop drinking them anyway- not 20 a day but easily a liter.
Reply Up