Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap time Transition From 2 to 1 a Day?
Unregistered 07:44 AM 11-12-2020
I will be starting two 15 month olds who currently take two naps a day. One at 9:30 and the other at 2:30 they nap for 30 mins in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Mom would like them to stay on two naps a day. Our nap is from 1-3 I think they are old enough for one nap a day and want them on our nap schedule. What’s a good way to transition them from two naps a day down to one??
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I will be starting two 15 month olds who currently take two naps a day. One at 9:30 and the other at 2:30 they nap for 30 mins in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Mom would like them to stay on two naps a day. Our nap is from 1-3 I think they are old enough for one nap a day and want them on our nap schedule. What’s a good way to transition them from two naps a day down to one??
I understand mom's need but if you are the one caring for them, they need to fit into your routine.

I transition my kiddos from 2 to 1 nap but simply adjusting the time they nap each day.

If they nap at 9:30, start pushing the nap back to 10:00 and then 10:30 etc.

I do this until their nap time coincides with my group nap time. It's probably a lot harder when you are doing this with two kids at the same time than when dealing with one child but it's easy to do, it just takes time.

If mom does not like the need to transition them, she is welcome to keep them on her schedule on her time but I would just explain to her that daycare kids need to conform to daycare rules when they are placed in GROUP care and if they require individualized routines then they really need a nanny and not a GROUP care provider.
Former Teacher 03:45 PM 11-12-2020
I posted in the off topic area (so unless you are a Member you can't see it ) about transiting.

I am a nanny to twin boys that turned a year recently. They were on 2 naps also. The morning nap was great. I got them up after a hour. The second nap was harder. They were harder to go down and they didn't sleep as long.

When I TOLD the parents that I was going to take them to one nap, they were very supportive. Naptimes are a breeze now and they SLEEP!!

In your situation, I completely (as usual ) with BC. At my former center, any child that was a year or younger we went by that child's schedule and needs. After a year, it became OUR schedule and needs.

30 mins for a morning nap is NOTHING. I sometimes spend that long in the bathroom!
Ariana 06:48 AM 11-13-2020
When I transition I typically cut the amount that their first nap is until they no longer need it to get to lunch. At 30 minutes though it is my opinion they don’t need it and I would cut it out completely. If they can’t make it to lunch then put them down for their first nap earlier and cut it to 20 min, then 10 minutes etc until it is gone. The point is to get them to sleep in more in the morning to make up for it. I find that kids who still need a morning nap at this age get up at 5am which is a classic over tiredness sign.
Tags:nap schedule
Reply Up