Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Playful Parenting
emmajo 05:41 PM 10-24-2011
To whoever posted something about the book Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen - thank you! I've just finished reading it and have found so many useful tips and strategies in it, to use as a parent and as a day care provider. I really like it when books are mentioned on here, and order them from our library. The Explosive Child was another good book, and I'm looking forward to reading The Blessing of a Skinned Knee. Hope to find many more suggestions for reading - this forum is such a great resource!
SilverSabre25 06:20 PM 10-24-2011
I think that was me, and you're welcome! I really loved that one; it's probably my favorite parenting book right now. I find the strategies SO helpful for defusing so many situations.

I'm glad I was able to pass on the title and help someone else!
littlemommy 06:19 AM 10-25-2011
I have a friend who has told me to read this book. I think I'm going to make an Amazon order soon!

There's a book out there called "Raising boys: Why boys are different and how to help them become happy and well-balanced men." I'd love to get that one, too.
hoopinglady 06:28 AM 10-25-2011
I am reading "kids are worth it, giving your child the gift of inner discipline"

I also would like to get some waldorf books, not for the method per se but for inspiration...one that looks interesting is called, "simplicity parenting, using the extraordinary power of less to raise happier, calmer and more secure kids"

Recommended reading sticky?

Also, "teaching in the key of heart" by mimi brodsky chenfeld is on my list. I adore her and have never read it. I have "creative experiences for young children" that I have read/used many times over through the years.
SilverSabre25 06:31 AM 10-25-2011
I'm also a huge, HUGE fan of Lousie Bates-Ames books, "Your "X" Year Old" where X is an age from 1 to about 12 (I think). They are spot on and so very, VERY helpful for understanding what is going on with your child at a given age. It really does change based on age and although there are individual variations (of course), most children seem to follow the same type of pattern.
Ariana 09:36 AM 10-25-2011
I'll have to check that one out! I don't often recommend books on parenting because most of them I don't like, but I love "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn. Totally new way of dealing with kids.
Tags:book - for providers, book suggestions, playful parenting
Reply Up