Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Completely Confused ...
DaycareMom 04:59 AM 07-19-2012
I have been watching DCG (3 yo) since she was 3 months old. For the most part this little girl has been very well behaved for me - not so much when Mom drops off and picks up - but when it's just me, she is awesome!

Well, until the last 2 weeks. She has been so nasty and rude to me and all the other children. She will hit them for no reason, says nasty things to the other kids, and when Mom is here it's worse than ever. She will not acknowledge or speak to me or the other kids and just cries and screams for her mom.

When I put her in time out, she doesn't care - she says "I Love time out".

I am so confused by this behavior because she has never been like this before. She is obviously more than adjusted to my home since she has been coming here for 3 years.

Why would she be acting like this? How do I correct the behavior?

Any advice or suggestions welcome. Thank you!
momofsix 05:56 AM 07-19-2012
Hmmm, maybe something is going on at home causing her to stress and act out?

Have you tried talking to her about it? (if she's verbal enough to have the conversation)

Sometimes kids just go through a period of "testing" authority too-just to see if all the rules still apply to them, but that usually only lasts a week or two at the most.

If you can't figure something out and the behavior continues I would definitely ask mom about it. See if she has noticed a difference in behavior at home and if she has any ideas why?
DaycareMom 06:17 AM 07-19-2012
I have talked to Mom about it and she tells me, "Now you know what i have to deal with". Apparently it is normal at home.

The only thing that i can think that may be different is Mom is pregnant. She is due in October, but doesn't the changed behavior usually happen after baby is here?
DCBlessings27 06:46 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have talked to Mom about it and she tells me, "Now you know what i have to deal with". Apparently it is normal at home.

The only thing that i can think that may be different is Mom is pregnant. She is due in October, but doesn't the changed behavior usually happen after baby is here?
I had a 3yo who started acting out before her sibling was born. The closer to Mom's due date (June), the more the girl regressed. She had started having accidents when she had been potty-trained for awhile and acting out while here. Unfortunately, the sibling was stillborn, so I'm not sure how she would have acted after the sibling was around.

I have an almost 3yo now who has a 2week old sibling. She actually hasn't really acted out and loves her new sister. Both these girls do have a 16yo sister though, so the almost 3yo was used to sharing her parents. The only issue I have with this dcg is that she absolutely will not try to potty train. She just tears up and gets stubborn, but she's starting to get too big for diapers to fit.

OP, I think she could definitely be reacting to her mom having another baby. All of my 3yo have been testing their boundaries though too since turning 3. My mil says 3 is so much worse than terrible 2s.
cheerfuldom 07:30 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:

No, the behavior can change before....especially if there is a lot changing in the household like preparing a room and having visitors over and a big shower for the baby and not big sis. Mom may not be coddling and catering to big sis as much because her belly is growing and she probably doesnt have the energy to do as much as she did before. Kids know, beforehand.
DaisyMamma 09:28 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
No, the behavior can change before....especially if there is a lot changing in the household like preparing a room and having visitors over and a big shower for the baby and not big sis. Mom may not be coddling and catering to big sis as much because her belly is growing and she probably doesnt have the energy to do as much as she did before. Kids know, beforehand.
My almost 3 year old daughter started acting out 3-6 months before her baby sister arrived.

Obviously you can't let her misbehave. Ignore her comments about time out and make sure she knows how much MORE fun it is to participate.

Maybe you can talk to her about the baby, let her know how important SHE is and how exciting it will be for HER to have a new baby. Poor kid.
Reply Up