Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Appreciation Day - Do You Tell Parents??
Unregistered 08:39 AM 04-30-2012
Just wondering, do any of you tell parents about provider appreciation day, may 11th? I was going to include it on my calendar for May that I give the parents with all the special dates for the day care, but didn't know if that was inappropriate???

Just get irritated sometimes that parents don't even realize this day exists and we never get recognized.
Any thoughts???
Jenniferdawn 08:54 AM 04-30-2012
Hmmm, I didn't even know about it??!! lol I wouldn't expect my parents to know about it either. I personally wouldn't tell them. I feel like it's asking for something special and to me it doesn't really mean much if I have to ask for it. If they want to do something special for me or acknowledge me in some way, I'll let them do it how they want to, if at all.
Heidi 09:01 AM 04-30-2012
Hey...I'm taking that day off, as it happens, so maybe I'll pretend it's for Provider Appreciation Day.

I always put "important dates" on my newletter, so I think I'll put it on there.
Christian Mother 09:30 AM 04-30-2012
Well,...you could pick up flowers and if someone asks about them just say they where given to in honor of provider appreciation day,..heheh!!

No, I don't say anything to parents about it..I have a parent who's a teacher and teacher appreciation is the week of May 4-11th. So, I do something nice for her but also we prepare for Mother's Day gifts on the 11th too.
sharlan 09:34 AM 04-30-2012
No. I would feel a little weird about, like asking for a gift.
snbauser 10:05 AM 04-30-2012
I put it in my special dates section of my newsletter every year. I don't expect anything and I don't think I have ever gotten anything. But I have great parents who typically give me small gifts throughout the year.
Ariana 10:18 AM 04-30-2012
I wouldn't bother! It'll only make you feel worse when they deliberately "forget" to say "thank you" or whatever. My boss let everyone know in the centre where I worked and out of 40 kids one dad thanked everyone for all our hard work!! Pathetic!!
CheekyChick 10:21 AM 04-30-2012
I wouldn't mention it... The parents probably feel they do enough already by paying us.
littlemissmuffet 12:08 PM 04-30-2012
I wouldn't bother either. I know most of my parents would acknowledge me/the day if they knew it existed... but I doubt any of them do. I happen to be closed that day (with pay) due to another reason... so that in itself is awesome enough for me
DCMom 12:42 PM 04-30-2012
Heck, I didn't even know it existed until a couple years ago! My dh calls those 'Hallmark' Holidays. Same category as Secretaries Day (or whatever it is called these days) Bosses Day, Grandparents Day, etc.

That being said, my dcp's are usually really good about doing some little token thing for Mother's Day...which just so happens to be the following Sunday...so I figure, close enough!

No expectations, no disappointments when it comes to days like this.
SunshineMama 12:46 PM 04-30-2012
Haha there's a provider appreciation day?

Naw, I wouldnt mention it.
permanentvacation 01:37 PM 04-30-2012
I never knew there was a provider appreciation day!!! The secretaries at my daughter's school got to take the day off for secretaries day. I think I should get to take the day off for provider appreciation day!
SilverSabre25 02:07 PM 04-30-2012
Eh, I wouldn't mention it. I feel that my parents appreciate me every week when they pay me, and continue to appreciate me every day by continuing to bring their kids here. I don't need to subscribe to some silly contrived appreciation day.
DaisyMamma 02:15 PM 04-30-2012
I like the flower idea! That's hilarious!

I didn't know there was a provider day either.
Meeko 03:12 PM 04-30-2012
I only heard about it a year or two ago.

I never mention it and nobody has ever said anything to me.

I do like the flowers thing! Maybe a big box of choccies too.

Maybe the parents will try and outdo each other?.....nah....but one can dream!
saved4always 03:30 PM 04-30-2012
I have never heard of it so I would not expect my parents to know about it. I would not remind or tell them about it either since that just seems to be asking for a gift, imo. If a parent wants to show appreciation, it should be thier idea because they truly want to do it.
queenbee 04:45 PM 04-30-2012
A couple years back while working, my mother sent me a huge bouquet of flowers and had them dropped off during my busiest pick-up time (4 parents pick up at the same time) on Provider Appreciation Day. She put a huge balloon with it with "We Appreciate You!" on it.

I knew the flowers were coming but I pretended I was sooooo "embarrassed" When the parents asked why the flowers, I was only too happy to let them know what day it was.

Since then, most of my parents have remembered and brought small gifts like gift cards, flowers, chocolates, and treat baskets. Two parents have already posted reminders on Facebook about the upcoming day.

I LOVE it!
saved4always 05:52 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
A couple years back while working, my mother sent me a huge bouquet of flowers and had them dropped off during my busiest pick-up time (4 parents pick up at the same time) on Provider Appreciation Day. She put a huge balloon with it with "We Appreciate You!" on it.

I knew the flowers were coming but I pretended I was sooooo "embarrassed" When the parents asked why the flowers, I was only too happy to let them know what day it was.

Since then, most of my parents have remembered and brought small gifts like gift cards, flowers, chocolates, and treat baskets. Two parents have already posted reminders on Facebook about the upcoming day.

I LOVE it!
Nice! And sneaky! I like it...lol!
Tags:provider appreciation day
Reply Up