Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>bitting
cara041083 06:12 AM 08-19-2014
I have a 10 month old and a 2 year old. Well long story short, I was changing a diaper yesterday and the 10 month old started to climb and pull herself up on the 2 year old. I told the baby no but she listen like all other babies do and did it anyway. The 2 year old then turned around and bit the baby on her arm. It was right before pick up so I didn't call the mom I waited for her to get here. This is the mom that I always post about and have had the most problems with. Well she gets here, and I tell her what happened and she was very understanding and said oh they are still learning and that was it. I was a wreck all night because this is the first time in the 3 years that I have done childcare that anyone had gotten hurt. So this morning at drop off everything was fine and after everyone got settled I went to look at baby's arm to make sure it was ok and there isn't a mark on her. So then her 3 year old sister tells me that mommy took pictures of her sisters arm and took her to the doctor last night. I am scared she is going to file a complaint against me (which is fine I didn't do anything wrong) But is there anything I need to do to cover myself? I have never had to do this before. Thanks
Heidi 06:28 AM 08-19-2014

Toddlers bite.

1. If you are required to do an incident report, do it. In WI, we only need to log in our medical log UNLESS the child is taken to the doctor. Even though you learned it 2nd hand, I'd do one. If not required, I'd still write up something.

2. Call you regulator and let her know what's going on. Let her know that while this is normal behavior, you also know it's socially unacceptable behavior, and you will do everything in your power to prevent it.

3. Here is a brochure to give your dc parents:

http://www.chs-ca.org/_images/files/..._Eng_print.pdf

I got this from my R&R recently and it's an excellent resource. It's written for parents, but I found it helpful, too.

You've already determined that the bite happened defensively. So, my recommendation to prevent this again is to keep the 10 mo. confined briefly if you can't be right there to stop future bites; a playpen, exersaucer, highchair with toys; whatever is deemed acceptable in your state. They will happen at least a few more times, and it might even escalate first. Unfortunately, it's a very effective way to "get someone off you". I wouldn't confine the 2 year old unless she bites other kiddos, too. She needs to learn to "use her words"..."STOP! (hand out) when someone encroaches.

For 10 mo, whenever you see her crowding someone, lead her away, and say "Move AWAY".

I have the SAME scenario here, and I think we worked through it. 3 weeks now without a bite.

Lastly; BE CONFIDENT. Don't over apologize to the parents. Act like you are taking it in stride. "Unfortunately, this is one of the not-so-fun parts of my job, but I'll deal with it because I'm a professional". Honestly, 10 mo mom could pull her kid, and then go to another provider and guess what? There's a "biter" there, too. I said those words to my "victims" mom. I SAW the light bulb when I said that. Some days, I think it's more like we have a litter of puppies here than kids! lol
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 08-19-2014
Here are several other threads about biting

https://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=biting
Play Care 11:51 AM 08-19-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Toddlers bite.

1. If you are required to do an incident report, do it. In WI, we only need to log in our medical log UNLESS the child is taken to the doctor. Even though you learned it 2nd hand, I'd do one. If not required, I'd still write up something.

2. Call you regulator and let her know what's going on. Let her know that while this is normal behavior, you also know it's socially unacceptable behavior, and you will do everything in your power to prevent it.

3. Here is a brochure to give your dc parents:

http://www.chs-ca.org/_images/files/..._Eng_print.pdf

I got this from my R&R recently and it's an excellent resource. It's written for parents, but I found it helpful, too.

You've already determined that the bite happened defensively. So, my recommendation to prevent this again is to keep the 10 mo. confined briefly if you can't be right there to stop future bites; a playpen, exersaucer, highchair with toys; whatever is deemed acceptable in your state. They will happen at least a few more times, and it might even escalate first. Unfortunately, it's a very effective way to "get someone off you". I wouldn't confine the 2 year old unless she bites other kiddos, too. She needs to learn to "use her words"..."STOP! (hand out) when someone encroaches.

For 10 mo, whenever you see her crowding someone, lead her away, and say "Move AWAY".

I have the SAME scenario here, and I think we worked through it. 3 weeks now without a bite.

Lastly; BE CONFIDENT. Don't over apologize to the parents. Act like you are taking it in stride. "Unfortunately, this is one of the not-so-fun parts of my job, but I'll deal with it because I'm a professional". Honestly, 10 mo mom could pull her kid, and then go to another provider and guess what? There's a "biter" there, too. I said those words to my "victims" mom. I SAW the light bulb when I said that. Some days, I think it's more like we have a litter of puppies here than kids! lol

Awesome advice!!
Reply Up