Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Researching Virginia for Daycare
thatdivalady 01:47 PM 04-02-2013
If anyone has any information and would like to share, please feel free! I'm getting married : ) and will possibly be relocating there since my soon to be hubby is from VA.

So far I think I found that you can have up to 5 without a license and up to 12 with a FDH license. But research is very sparse so I can use all the help I can get! He is not caring much about a particular city, it just needs to be south (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
MizzCheryl 02:59 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by thatdivalady:
If anyone has any information and would like to share, please feel free! I'm getting married : ) and will possibly be relocating there since my soon to be hubby is from VA.

So far I think I found that you can have up to 5 without a license and up to 12 with a FDH license. But research is very sparse so I can use all the help I can get! He is not caring much about a particular city, it just needs to be south (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
I live close to the state line and I do not know much about Virginia laws. I have heard several providers complain that the subsidy system in Va is hard to work with though. Hope you get some good advice about Va.
Snapdragon 03:41 PM 04-02-2013
Don't know if you have checked it out, but the Department of Social Services website in Virginia is as follows for FDH:

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/facility.../fdh/index.cgi

I live in the area mentioned, but have only worked in a center, so I'm not familiar with regulations for home daycare.

Hope this helps.
MCC 05:16 PM 04-02-2013
I live in Virginia, I am not licensed yet, but I believe that you can have 6 (excluding your own) with out a license, and 12 with one.

The link that PP provided is very helpful and lists everything step by step. I'm at the very beginning of this, but let me know if you have more questions!
Mom2Five+ 01:29 PM 04-03-2013
In Northern Va you can have up to 5 kids not including your own unlicensed. It use to be that if you were licensed you were able to have 12, but zoning has changed it and now the max will be 9. Hope this helps some.
thatdivalady 07:56 AM 04-07-2013
Thanks guys! I did have that website but it is helpful to know I am on the right path. And thanks for the heads up because I did not know the zoning was reducing it to 9 down from 12!
Tags:virginia, virginia requirements
Reply Up