Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Didn't Like Car Seat Policy
Homebody 06:29 AM 04-12-2018
So I interviewed a couple weeks ago for an infant and thought things went well. A couple days later the mom informed me that they decided to go with another daycare, but would like to keep us as an option when there daughter got older. I told her she was more than welcome to check back in the future to see if we had availability. Well yesterday she messaged me saying that she would feel more comfortable leaving her daughter in our care, but the only problem she had was with our car seat policy. She said sometimes her husband may want to pickup and would need it. She asked if we were set on it and could we work something out. I told her we don't allow them to be left for liability reasons and don't have room to store them. I was just surprised that she would let something like that from keeping her from putting her child in a daycare she felt more comfortable with. We charge on average $30-$50 less for infant care in our area. The amount she is saving she could easily go out and buy another one. Her and her husband earn a decent living so I don't think money is an issue. I offered to let her keep it on the front porch and put a bag over it to protect it, but may have her sign something to say we won't be held liable for any damages or loss. This was yesterday morning, and I haven't heard back. Have any of you with a similar policy had anyone decide not to use your daycare because of it???
Reply
MomBoss 06:41 AM 04-12-2018
IMO if that little policy which shouldnt be a big deal, is a big deal for them...how many other policies of yours are they going to have a problem with someday?
New carseat at walmart is $50. You shouldnt have to accomodate, they can figure it out. Even on the porch it is still a liability- someone could easily take it.
Reply
storybookending 06:46 AM 04-12-2018
I feel like even offering for her to keep it on the porch broke your own policy and you should not have even offered that.. signed form or not. Either have the policy or donít. Now if they accept they see that whining about things can get you to bend policy and Iím sure they will have push back on other things. Just my opinion.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
So I interviewed a couple weeks ago for an infant and thought things went well. A couple days later the mom informed me that they decided to go with another daycare, but would like to keep us as an option when there daughter got older. I told her she was more than welcome to check back in the future to see if we had availability. Well yesterday she messaged me saying that she would feel more comfortable leaving her daughter in our care, but the only problem she had was with our car seat policy. She said sometimes her husband may want to pickup and would need it. She asked if we were set on it and could we work something out. I told her we don't allow them to be left for liability reasons and don't have room to store them. I was just surprised that she would let something like that from keeping her from putting her child in a daycare she felt more comfortable with. We charge on average $30-$50 less for infant care in our area. The amount she is saving she could easily go out and buy another one. Her and her husband earn a decent living so I don't think money is an issue. I offered to let her keep it on the front porch and put a bag over it to protect it, but may have her sign something to say we won't be held liable for any damages or loss. This was yesterday morning, and I haven't heard back. Have any of you with a similar policy had anyone decide not to use your daycare because of it???
Waivers won't protect you.

I have a no car seats on property rule because should the parent install the seat incorrectly from my house and have an accident, I do not want to be held liable in ANY way so the car seat getting wet or dirty while sitting on the front step is the least of my worries.

I tell parents I don't take the car seat training class and therefore have NOTHING to do with car seats. This includes storage and exchanging. I want NOTHING to do with the car seats.

If this parent truly wants to enroll in your care she'll figure it out. If not, don't bend or waive a policy for her in the beginning as you'll end up having to waive, alter or amend them all every time she doesn't like one of them.
Reply
Homebody 06:53 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
IMO if that little policy which shouldnt be a big deal, is a big deal for them...how many other policies of yours are they going to have a problem with someday?
New carseat at walmart is $50. You shouldnt have to accomodate, they can figure it out. Even on the porch it is still a liability- someone could easily take it.
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I feel like even offering for her to keep it on the porch broke your own policy and you should not have even offered that.. signed form or not. Either have the policy or donít. Now if they accept they see that whining about things can get you to bend policy and Iím sure they will have push back on other things. Just my opinion.
You both have made some good points. I kind of regretted it after I offered to let her keep it on the porch. It's a new policy I put in place just a few months ago, and this is the first time I've had anyone have a problem with it. I agree she could end up asking me to bend other policies we have in place too. Thanks for the advice.
Reply
Homebody 06:56 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Waivers won't protect you.

I have a no car seats on property rule because should the parent install the seat incorrectly from my house and have an accident, I do not want to be held liable in ANY way so the car seat getting wet or dirty while sitting on the front step is the least of my worries.

I tell parents I don't take the car seat training class and therefore have NOTHING to do with car seats. This includes storage and exchanging. I want NOTHING to do with the car seats.

If this parent truly wants to enroll in your care she'll figure it out. If not, don't bend or waive a policy for her in the beginning as you'll end up having to waive, alter or amend them all every time she doesn't like one of them.
Good point! So do you not allow them to bring them in your house when dropping off or picking up? Do you have them take the child out of the carseat while in the car?
Reply
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Good point! So do you not allow them to bring them in your house when dropping off or picking up? Do you have them take the child out of the carseat while in the car?
Yes, parents remove the child from the seat while AT the car.

Seats are never brought into my facility and remain in the car.

I've never had a single parent have issues with this. Including those with infants. All my parents seem to understand my reasoning and have never complained or said anything about that being difficult to manage or do.

I would just email this mom back and let her know you did some research and you are finding that for liability reasons and to protect yourself you simply cannot allow the car seat to be left on site. period.

You don't really have to explain other than saying it's a liability thing that is for YOUR (the provider's) protection.

Parents don't ever get to expect me to risk myself or my business for their best interests.
I am the only one looking out for me so that rule is non-negotiable.
Reply
hwichlaz 07:08 AM 04-12-2018
There is only one valid reason Iíve ever hear for parents not wanting a seat in their car, thus not having two.

My ex husband was a correctional officer. All of the officers kept the interiors of their car as sparse as possible because inmates who were released walked through that parking lot to leave. They didnít want to advertise that they had children, or anything that an inmate might use.

I never got it really, because our community is so small that you canít go grocery shopping without running into an ex inmate and being recognized so itís not like they werenít going to know he had kids after seeing him out and about...and most of them were repeat offenders. :P

I supposed if he drives a company car that could be an issue as well.

However, that was the thinking....

That does NOT mean that you should change your policies. It just might mean, should have have a valid reason for not having one in his car, that you arenít the place for them.
Reply
Snowmom 07:36 AM 04-12-2018
Beyond what was already stated, which is all awesome advice, I wanted to say that with any new client, you want to set the stage of what's expected.

You have policies for a reason. When you compromise with a new client within the first few months (or before enrolling), then you have now set the precedence for them to think they are in control. They will push every policy that doesn't suit them.
Reply
lovemykidstoo 08:05 AM 04-12-2018
After my lice invasion last spring I don't allow any car seats/ diaper bags etc in my house. I have been trying to find a case where a daycare provider was liable if a child was not put in a seat properly. Not arguing the fact, but was just curious. I mean even if they don't take the seat out, they could put them in and not restrain them properly, wouldn't that be the same thing? I totally understand if 'we' put them in the seat, but there are alot of ways to improperly have a child in a seat.
Reply
Snowmom 08:17 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
After my lice invasion last spring I don't allow any car seats/ diaper bags etc in my house. I have been trying to find a case where a daycare provider was liable if a child was not put in a seat properly. Not arguing the fact, but was just curious. I mean even if they don't take the seat out, they could put them in and not restrain them properly, wouldn't that be the same thing? I totally understand if 'we' put them in the seat, but there are alot of ways to improperly have a child in a seat.
My liability insurance doesn't want them on my property. Mainly because the children could damage the chair while it's in my house, then posing a danger to the owner's child when reinstalled. So, in my case, it's not so much that they wouldn't be reinstalled properly but damaged and deemed unsafe while on my property.
Reply
lovemykidstoo 08:52 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
My liability insurance doesn't want them on my property. Mainly because the children could damage the chair while it's in my house, then posing a danger to the owner's child when reinstalled. So, in my case, it's not so much that they wouldn't be reinstalled properly but damaged and deemed unsafe while on my property.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
Reply
Ariana 09:00 AM 04-12-2018
I had a parent willing to pay me extra for extra time needed to exchange cars before pickup. They could have taken the money they paid me and bought 20 car seats. So dumb but itís mostly about control.

Why else would they make these stupid decisions!!
Reply
Homebody 09:54 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I would just email this mom back and let her know you did some research and you are finding that for liability reasons and to protect yourself you simply cannot allow the car seat to be left on site. period.
She hasn't responded back yet, but I might just do that if she does.
Reply
Homebody 10:06 AM 04-12-2018
You all have given me a lot to consider if this happens again. I only have one infant right now that uses a car seat that the mom brings in at pickup and drop off, and then takes with her when she leaves. I don't have a policy against this. I asked her a couple weeks ago if it would be easier if she took him out or put him in it while still in the car, and she said no it's easier to do it in the house. Now I'm wondering if I should have it in my policy that car seats remain in the vehicle. On one hand if they do it in my house I can make sure the child is restrained properly, but on the other hand what if it's not inserted back in properly and she gets in a wreck? Can I actually be held liable if it's not installed back in the right way? Maybe I can just say my insurance does not allow them in the house at all, even at drop off and pickup?
Reply
Josiegirl 10:11 AM 04-12-2018
Did you point out to her the fact she could buy a car seat with the money saved from choosing your dc?
I agree that it is about control and if not this issue then there'll be another one.
Reply
Country Kids 10:15 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
You all have given me a lot to consider if this happens again. I only have one infant right now that uses a car seat that the mom brings in at pickup and drop off, and then takes with her when she leaves. I don't have a policy against this. I asked her a couple weeks ago if it would be easier if she took him out or put him in it while still in the car, and she said no it's easier to do it in the house. Now I'm wondering if I should have it in my policy that car seats remain in the vehicle. On one hand if they do it in my house I can make sure the child is restrained properly, but on the other hand what if it's not inserted back in properly and she gets in a wreck? Can I actually be held liable if it's not installed back in the right way? Maybe I can just say my insurance does not allow them in the house at all, even at drop off and pickup?
I don't think you could be held liable at all because any store, restaurant, church, school, etc that a parent takes a car seat into and leaves with wouldn't be held liable if something were to happen after they left and the car seat wasn't inserted back properly.
Reply
happymom 10:22 AM 04-12-2018
Stick to your guns. I don't understand why families with 2 vehicles don't have car seats in both cars.
Reply
storybookending 10:22 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
You all have given me a lot to consider if this happens again. I only have one infant right now that uses a car seat that the mom brings in at pickup and drop off, and then takes with her when she leaves. I don't have a policy against this. I asked her a couple weeks ago if it would be easier if she took him out or put him in it while still in the car, and she said no it's easier to do it in the house. Now I'm wondering if I should have it in my policy that car seats remain in the vehicle. On one hand if they do it in my house I can make sure the child is restrained properly, but on the other hand what if it's not inserted back in properly and she gets in a wreck? Can I actually be held liable if it's not installed back in the right way? Maybe I can just say my insurance does not allow them in the house at all, even at drop off and pickup?
You can do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally allow infant seats to be left here as I keep a small group and would never have more than 2 that small at a time.. more than likely only 1 that small at a time is the goal. I also have an area in a hall that is blocked off to children where they are placed so no one is messing with them. The base is the part that is installed in the car. The parent is responsible for clicking it in properly and also making sure the base is secure as they do come loose at times. Do you check to make sure all seats are installed properly before a child leaves? To me it in one in the same. I have yet to see a case where a daycare provider was charged for a parent getting into an accident after leaving daycare. Not saying that it doesnít happen but I imagine that one would have a hard time standing up if it ever made it as far as court.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:29 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
You all have given me a lot to consider if this happens again. I only have one infant right now that uses a car seat that the mom brings in at pickup and drop off, and then takes with her when she leaves. I don't have a policy against this. I asked her a couple weeks ago if it would be easier if she took him out or put him in it while still in the car, and she said no it's easier to do it in the house. Now I'm wondering if I should have it in my policy that car seats remain in the vehicle. On one hand if they do it in my house I can make sure the child is restrained properly, but on the other hand what if it's not inserted back in properly and she gets in a wreck? Can I actually be held liable if it's not installed back in the right way? Maybe I can just say my insurance does not allow them in the house at all, even at drop off and pickup?
I don't concern myself with that.... if I do then it becomes something I AM liable for and I don't want that responsibility.

As for can you be held liable if it's not installed correctly? I think you can. Just like bars are held responsible when an adult drinks too much, leaves and gets in an accident.

Do I agree with it? Nope but I still don't want to risk it so when it comes to car seats...I won't even discuss them other than resources for parents (for proper install etc) and an explanation of my policies.

Here is Tom Copeland's advice:

"There are also some additional rules you should follow when dealing with car seats. Donít help the parent put the car seat in her car, or help buckle a child into a car seat. Whenever you touch the car seat you are increasing the risk of a lawsuit.

Why? Because if you didnít properly install the car seat or properly buckle the child in, and the child is injured as a result of your actions, you face a bigger lawsuit for damages. Donít give the parent your car seat, as it might be defective.

To protect yourself against all of these risks, you should adopt a transportation policy that will help keep children safe."


http://tomcopelandblog.com/creating-...rtation-policy
Reply
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have yet to see a case where a daycare provider was charged for a parent getting into an accident after leaving daycare. Not saying that it doesnít happen but I imagine that one would have a hard time standing up if it ever made it as far as court.
When parents are charged with their own child's death... I think providers will be next... NOT something I am willing to risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/louisiana-m...ry?id=53437927
Reply
Country Kids 10:37 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When parents are charged with their own child's death... I think providers will be next... NOT something I am willing to risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/louisiana-m...ry?id=53437927
This car seat wasn't even buckled into the car-it was wedged between the front seats on the console. I don't see how the parent wouldn't be totally responsible for this. Not sure how a provider would be charged with anything in this.
Reply
storybookending 10:50 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When parents are charged with their own child's death... I think providers will be next... NOT something I am willing to risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/louisiana-m...ry?id=53437927
This was negligence in the parents case though. 4 adults and 4 children in a 5 passenger vehicle. Had they been leaving daycare and a provider saw this and didn’t report then sure as that’s part of being a mandated reporter.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This car seat wasn't even buckled into the car-it was wedged between the front seats on the console. I don't see how the parent wouldn't be totally responsible for this. Not sure how a provider would be charged with anything in this.
Originally Posted by storybookending:
This was negligence in the parents case though. 4 adults and 4 children in a 5 passenger vehicle. Had they been leaving daycare and a provider saw this and didnít report then sure as thatís part of being a mandated reporter.
I'm not arguing the details...I'm making a point about liability and sharing what I know and the sometimes silly things it applies to.

If you (general you) want to risk certain liabilities that's totally up to you. It's whatever you feel comfortable doing

Reply
daycarediva 10:57 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I feel like even offering for her to keep it on the porch broke your own policy and you should not have even offered that.. signed form or not. Either have the policy or donít. Now if they accept they see that whining about things can get you to bend policy and Iím sure they will have push back on other things. Just my opinion.
YES!

Originally Posted by happymom:
Stick to your guns. I don't understand why families with 2 vehicles don't have car seats in both cars.

SERIOUSLY! I know your stance on car seat safety. You are NOT supposed to be reinstalling them constantly! Parents- GET A SECOND SEAT!
Reply
hwichlaz 11:12 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES!




SERIOUSLY! I know your stance on car seat safety. You are NOT supposed to be reinstalling them constantly! Parents- GET A SECOND SEAT!
Isnít that the reason for a snap in base though? The only seats that get left here are infant seats. Both parents have bases in their cars.
Reply
storybookending 11:16 AM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
SERIOUSLY! I know your stance on car seat safety. You are NOT supposed to be reinstalling them constantly! Parents- GET A SECOND SEAT!
Just wanted to add I can see parents only wanting one infant seat as they arenít in them for nearly as long as all other seats and they can just get two bases or just strap them in the car with ease. But I do not understand parents that want to leave anything other than infant seats and I have never had a parent ask once their child was out of the infant carriers. When installed correctly those suckers are hard to put back in and take back out.
Reply
Snowmom 12:06 PM 04-12-2018
It's not a good idea to constantly be removing carseats.
Even infant seats.

Each time it's taken out, there's a greater likelihood it won't be reinstalled properly or as tightly.
Plus, car seats are largely made of plastics. Cracks and warps can happen with force and the elements. Think of how many parents bring in their carseat to the grocery store and plop them in carts. I've seen so much damage on the bottom of infant seats from shopping carts! One little piece of broken or wedged plastic can prevent that carseat from latching properly to it's base.
Reply
happymom 12:30 PM 04-12-2018
My current daycare center doesn't have a problem keeping carseats. EVERY DAY there are like 10 seats left in the lobby waiting to be switched to another car: boosters (with no covers even), convertibles, combination seats and bucket seats. Some I know to be expired.

I personally don't understand it, when I can buy a second seat for $10-40 and not have to deal with the mess of uninstalling and carrying a seat into the daycare each day.

BUT the daycare won't give "parenting advice" -- so unless the parents figure it out on their own, they will continue to have a "car seat parking" area in the daycare, lol.
Reply
Homebody 12:31 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

As for can you be held liable if it's not installed correctly? I think you can. Just like bars are held responsible when an adult drinks too much, leaves and gets in an accident.
This topic is raising a lot more questions for me. One of those is if there's a small chance I can be held liable for the carseat not being installed properly, then there would be the chance I could be held liable for them not being restrained properly (if done in the car) either.

It wouldn't surprise me if they passed regulations requiring dc providers to start checking if children are restrained and car seats properly installed. Just another class we would have to take.
Reply
Homebody 12:43 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Isnít that the reason for a snap in base though?
That's what I always thought.

Originally Posted by Snowmom:
It's not a good idea to constantly be removing carseats.
Even infant seats.

Each time it's taken out, there's a greater likelihood it won't be reinstalled properly or as tightly.
Plus, car seats are largely made of plastics. Cracks and warps can happen with force and the elements. Think of how many parents bring in their carseat to the grocery store and plop them in carts. I've seen so much damage on the bottom of infant seats from shopping carts! One little piece of broken or wedged plastic can prevent that carseat from latching properly to it's base.
This has never occurred to me. Is there documentation on this online that can be printed out to show parents?
Reply
Country Kids 12:49 PM 04-12-2018
Homebody, if you have quite a few in car seats maybe hold a car seat class in your home. The local fire dept may be willing to come out and have one for you.

If you don't have a lot, you could also open up to other providers and their clients. Would be a good way to educate from the professionals.
Reply
Snowmom 12:50 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
That's what I always thought.



This has never occurred to me. Is there documentation on this online that can be printed out to show parents?
It's discussed every time I take C.A.R.S. training.
I don't know if any of their brochures have stats.
Reply
Country Kids 12:51 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
My current daycare center doesn't have a problem keeping carseats. EVERY DAY there are like 10 seats left in the lobby waiting to be switched to another car: boosters (with no covers even), convertibles, combination seats and bucket seats. Some I know to be expired.

I personally don't understand it, when I can buy a second seat for $10-40 and not have to deal with the mess of uninstalling and carrying a seat into the daycare each day.

BUT the daycare won't give "parenting advice" -- so unless the parents figure it out on their own, they will continue to have a "car seat parking" area in the daycare, lol.
A friend of mine that works at a center told me the same thing-lots of car seats brought in and out each day. They have a special room for them to go into or something but not out of the norm for them to be left there.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
This topic is raising a lot more questions for me. One of those is if there's a small chance I can be held liable for the carseat not being installed properly, then there would be the chance I could be held liable for them not being restrained properly (if done in the car) either.

It wouldn't surprise me if they passed regulations requiring dc providers to start checking if children are restrained and car seats properly installed. Just another class we would have to take.
Here is Tom Copeland's advice about that:

Q: ďI cannot see cars when parents/caregivers pick-up, so unless they state they donít have a car seat, how am I supposed to be responsible if there is no car seat (if they donít say anything)?Ē

A: You want to have a transportation policy that says parents are supposed to have appropriate car seats. If you donít see them picking up without a car seat, you are not liable.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/transport...-your-business

Basically, the BEST way to protect yourself according to Tom Copeland is to have a written transportation policy.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
That's what I always thought.



This has never occurred to me. Is there documentation on this online that can be printed out to show parents?
Here is some great info about car seats (some have printable resources)

https://www.parenting.com/gallery/ca...llation?page=0

http://thecarseatlady.com/

According to a certified car seat technician and pediatrician; over 95% of parents install the car seat incorrectly.
If that is the case, imagine how much worse it is when the parent takes it out an puts it back in on a daily basis.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae.../#f210e9546d34
Reply
daycarediva 01:21 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
It's not a good idea to constantly be removing carseats.
Even infant seats.

Each time it's taken out, there's a greater likelihood it won't be reinstalled properly or as tightly.
Plus, car seats are largely made of plastics. Cracks and warps can happen with force and the elements. Think of how many parents bring in their carseat to the grocery store and plop them in carts. I've seen so much damage on the bottom of infant seats from shopping carts! One little piece of broken or wedged plastic can prevent that carseat from latching properly to it's base.
Yes. I didn't even have infant seats for my youngest we went straight to a convertible 5 point harness rear facing at birth. I baby wore, or brought a moses basket everywhere I couldn't wear him (like dc or grandma's to drop off).

Easy peasy.
Reply
Homebody 02:30 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is Tom Copeland's advice about that:

Q: ďI cannot see cars when parents/caregivers pick-up, so unless they state they donít have a car seat, how am I supposed to be responsible if there is no car seat (if they donít say anything)?Ē

A: You want to have a transportation policy that says parents are supposed to have appropriate car seats. If you donít see them picking up without a car seat, you are not liable.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/transport...-your-business

Basically, the BEST way to protect yourself according to Tom Copeland is to have a written transportation policy.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is some great info about car seats (some have printable resources)

https://www.parenting.com/gallery/ca...llation?page=0

http://thecarseatlady.com/

According to a certified car seat technician and pediatrician; over 95% of parents install the car seat incorrectly.
If that is the case, imagine how much worse it is when the parent takes it out an puts it back in on a daily basis.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae.../#f210e9546d34
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out. Just when I thought I had everything covered in my policies
Reply
284878 07:17 PM 04-12-2018
I don't let them leave car seats but I never have said that they couldn't bring them in. Parents have tried to leave them here, but when I say no, they always seem to work something out.
However when the most recent DCM asked my response was, I don't all them because car seats can transfer bed bugs. She was shocked and admitted she never thought of that and said they'd work it out.

Really reason is they're in my way and I kept having to move them or step of them all the time. Plus my first family I had kept acussing me of messing with the straps.

OP - I would take Tom's advice and tell her your lawyer has advised you to not allow the seats in your home. Or use the bed bug reason, it worked for me.
Reply
Play Care 09:01 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I don't let them leave car seats but I never have said that they couldn't bring them in. Parents have tried to leave them here, but when I say no, they always seem to work something out.
However when the most recent DCM asked my response was, I don't all them because car seats can transfer bed bugs. She was shocked and admitted she never thought of that and said they'd work it out.

Really reason is they're in my way and I kept having to move them or step of them all the time. Plus my first family I had kept acussing me of messing with the straps.

OP - I would take Tom's advice and tell her your lawyer has advised you to not allow the seats in your home. Or use the bed bug reason, it worked for me.
The space issue was mine also. I usually only take one under one, but the past year I juggled three under 1 Every one wanted to have their bucket seat here and I was constantly tripping over them. Now they have the toddler convertible seats and those suckers are HUGE. I reached my limit.
Reply
Homebody 10:29 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I don't let them leave car seats but I never have said that they couldn't bring them in. Parents have tried to leave them here, but when I say no, they always seem to work something out.
However when the most recent DCM asked my response was, I don't all them because car seats can transfer bed bugs. She was shocked and admitted she never thought of that and said they'd work it out.

Really reason is they're in my way and I kept having to move them or step of them all the time. Plus my first family I had kept acussing me of messing with the straps.

OP - I would take Tom's advice and tell her your lawyer has advised you to not allow the seats in your home. Or use the bed bug reason, it worked for me.
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The space issue was mine also. I usually only take one under one, but the past year I juggled three under 1 Every one wanted to have their bucket seat here and I was constantly tripping over them. Now they have the toddler convertible seats and those suckers are HUGE. I reached my limit.
This is why I recently changed my policy. I had one infant a year ago and no place to store his carseat, so I left by front door. We have an open area and no way to block off. It was a constant battle to keep the kids off of it. My husband and I have a group daycare and can have up to 4 infants (not sure if we will ever have that many at once). Even if we ever have 3 infants I couldn't imagine having 3 car seats sitting there and constantly keeping guard on them. So, we decided no more car seats in the house, it's not worth the headache.
Reply
Tags:car seats, car seats - guidelines
Reply Up