Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beyond Frustrated with my Assistant
BumbleBee 03:46 PM 05-05-2016
I would so fire her and hire someone else if needed someone through summer--fact is I only need someone until June 9th so by the time I hire someone I wouldn't need them anyways. I will be hiring someone to start August 22nd but I don't need an assistant from June 9th-August 22nd.

Anyways, last Monday she asked me if there was anyway she could get off at 3 every day starting this coming Monday so she could babysit her friends 2 kids after school. I worked the schedule and asked my mom (my other assistant) if she could switch her hours from 11:15-1 to 2:45-5. She worked things out on her end-by changing her entire schedule-so she could be here from 2:45-5 every day. Told my 1st assistant, on Tuesday, that yes, she could work from 8:30-3 M-F starting this coming Monday.

TODAY I get a text from 1st assistant saying her friend doesn't need her to babysit anymore so she doesn't need to get done at 3 anymore.

are you kidding me? I jumped through hoops, my mother changed her entire schedule around to make this work and she just thinks she can walk in here and work full days again at the drop of a hat. Like it's no big deal.

I'm tempted to tell her no, 8:30-3 is her new schedule. But I don't know if I'm just being petty and vindictive. WWYD?
sahm1225 03:53 PM 05-05-2016
What will you do if she decides to quit before June 9th? Can your mom pick up the extra shifts?

Honestly, I would tell her that until you're able to switch the schedule back that she's working the 8-3. You don't want to tell your mom to adjust her life all
Over again and then her friend decided that she needs her again, kwim?
Leigh 04:03 PM 05-05-2016
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I would so fire her and hire someone else if needed someone through summer--fact is I only need someone until June 9th so by the time I hire someone I wouldn't need them anyways. I will be hiring someone to start August 22nd but I don't need an assistant from June 9th-August 22nd.

Anyways, last Monday she asked me if there was anyway she could get off at 3 every day starting this coming Monday so she could babysit her friends 2 kids after school. I worked the schedule and asked my mom (my other assistant) if she could switch her hours from 11:15-1 to 2:45-5. She worked things out on her end-by changing her entire schedule-so she could be here from 2:45-5 every day. Told my 1st assistant, on Tuesday, that yes, she could work from 8:30-3 M-F starting this coming Monday.

TODAY I get a text from 1st assistant saying her friend doesn't need her to babysit anymore so she doesn't need to get done at 3 anymore.

are you kidding me? I jumped through hoops, my mother changed her entire schedule around to make this work and she just thinks she can walk in here and work full days again at the drop of a hat. Like it's no big deal.

I'm tempted to tell her no, 8:30-3 is her new schedule. But I don't know if I'm just being petty and vindictive. WWYD?
I'd ask your mom what HER preferences are. Maybe your mom would rather keep her old schedule. If Mom wants to go back, then I'd do it. If she wants to go forward with the new schedule, then stick to it. Your mom is the one who may or may not be inconvenienced, so I'd let her make the call.
BumbleBee 04:04 PM 05-05-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
What will you do if she decides to quit before June 9th? Can your mom pick up the extra shifts?

Honestly, I would tell her that until you're able to switch the schedule back that she's working the 8-3. You don't want to tell your mom to adjust her life all
Over again and then her friend decided that she needs her again, kwim?
I have no idea what I'll do if she quits before June 9th. My mom can pick up some of the shifts but not all. That's part of the reason I'm trying to not piss her off-because I NEED her to be here until June 9th.
BumbleBee 04:11 PM 05-05-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I'd ask your mom what HER preferences are. Maybe your mom would rather keep her old schedule. If Mom wants to go back, then I'd do it. If she wants to go forward with the new schedule, then stick to it. Your mom is the one who may or may not be inconvenienced, so I'd let her make the call.
Oh my mother is ticked. She changed appointments, commitments, her availability to assist the elderly, EVERYTHING in order to be here in the late afternoon instead of her original schedule.
Blackcat31 05:14 PM 05-05-2016
I'd treat this like a daycare parent trying to change their schedule AFTER I adjusted everything to accommodate them....

Nope.

You accommodated the first request.
She is required to honor it.
Not your problem her plans changed.
Mike 05:43 PM 05-05-2016
Unless your mom wants to switch back, I'd say nope, can't change again.
Jazzii 05:25 AM 05-08-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Unless your mom wants to switch back, I'd say nope, can't change again.
Nope, it can't change. Sorry; you were the one who knew that you had a job with a set schedule and you made the choice to make plans during that time. You lose out on the hours end of the conversation.

And this is coming from an assistant
lovemydaycare0912 04:47 AM 05-09-2016
I wouldn't change because it's not fair to your mom. She's the reliable one.
AmyKidsCo 02:31 PM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd treat this like a daycare parent trying to change their schedule AFTER I adjusted everything to accommodate them....

Nope.

You accommodated the first request.
She is required to honor it.
Not your problem her plans changed.

ITA. My DD works at American Eagle and if she requests and gets a day off she can't go back and say "Never mind, I want to work again." The most she can do is try to pick up extra hours from someone else. I'd stick to the schedule she requested.
Ariana 10:23 PM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
this!
Tags:assistant, assistant - from hell
Reply Up