Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Morning Routine
mamamanda 01:08 PM 12-31-2017
I drive my son to school every morning meaning that I have to take an infant, 2 toddlers, & a preschooler with us. I find that the 20 minutes it takes me to get everyone's coats, hats, gloves, shoes, etc on & everyone to the car is so stressful. We have a good morning routine. But I might get one kid totally ready only to turn around & find that another kiddo has taken their shoes back off. Or they're ready & then head back to the play area making a mess of toys while I'm helping others with shoes. Is there a better way to do this? Should it take this long to get them out the door? I was thinking of putting a rug near the door with a basket of books for a designated area to stay in once you're ready. Their ages are 19mo, a new 2, & a 3 yo. Is that realistic to teach them to sit quietly on the rug once ready? They're not a rowdy group, but they like to roam around. Any suggestions? TIA
flying_babyb 03:04 PM 12-31-2017
my 2-3s can wait for up to 10 minutes on the rug by the door with books. secret is to change out books often, and to not let them have the basket books at any other time. It takes a week or so to train the kids to sit nice on the rug but I would reward with stickers the first few days, and by day 3 they were sitting nice, and staying on the rug
Unregistered 04:07 PM 12-31-2017
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I drive my son to school every morning meaning that I have to take an infant, 2 toddlers, & a preschooler with us. I find that the 20 minutes it takes me to get everyone's coats, hats, gloves, shoes, etc on & everyone to the car is so stressful. We have a good morning routine. But I might get one kid totally ready only to turn around & find that another kiddo has taken their shoes back off. Or they're ready & then head back to the play area making a mess of toys while I'm helping others with shoes. Is there a better way to do this? Should it take this long to get them out the door? I was thinking of putting a rug near the door with a basket of books for a designated area to stay in once you're ready. Their ages are 19mo, a new 2, & a 3 yo. Is that realistic to teach them to sit quietly on the rug once ready? They're not a rowdy group, but they like to roam around. Any suggestions? TIA
I have an attached garage which opens into the daycare room. I got so I would line the kids up at the gate, lift them over the gate and carry them to the car and strap them in one at a time. I would throw shoes, coats and blankies in a bag that I would take with us in the car in case we needed them for some reason, even in the winter. They never went outside and the car was warm so it worked well. Saved my sanity.
Jamie 04:05 AM 01-02-2018
The 3 yo can put on his own clothes and shoes while you help the others.

My group are 14-22 months, and they sit by the door when they're ready. They have nowhere to go as the door is locked and they have to get past me to get back to the playroom. They can look out the door (glass door) but otherwise they have nothing to do.
I never even thought about giving them anything to do I have all their clothes ready before I call them out to get dressed, so nobody waits longer than 10 minutes.
Cat Herder 07:28 AM 01-02-2018
"I find that the 20 minutes it takes me to get everyone's coats, hats, gloves, shoes, etc on & everyone to the car is so stressful."

Are you putting coats on, to simply take them off again at the car, to buckle kids safely into carseats?

It would save time to simply pre-warm the car and cover the kids with blankets once they are safely buckled in.
hwichlaz 08:35 AM 01-02-2018
How cold is it there?

I never put jackets on, because I'd have to take them off again to put them in their carseats. I just grab one child out of the playroom at a time, carry them to the car, and buckle them in. The kids that are too big to carry are the ones that need shoes, so they put them on while I do this.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
How cold is it there?

I never put jackets on, because I'd have to take them off again to put them in their carseats. I just grab one child out of the playroom at a time, carry them to the car, and buckle them in. The kids that are too big to carry are the ones that need shoes, so they put them on while I do this.
I don't transport, but I wouldn't be getting everyone 100% dressed just to go to the car and repeat that process (taking off, putting it back on before leaving car)

Maybe buy fleece at a craft store you can cut a hole in (like a poncho) toss hats on them, and out the door you go.

My kids ALL sit and wait/get themselves ready and help littles. 18m-4.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:49 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I don't transport, but I wouldn't be getting everyone 100% dressed just to go to the car and repeat that process (taking off, putting it back on before leaving car)

Maybe buy fleece at a craft store you can cut a hole in (like a poncho) toss hats on them, and out the door you go.

My kids ALL sit and wait/get themselves ready and help littles. 18m-4.
The ponchos are a life saver for me. Have been using with my own kids for several winters. Google "1 yard fleece poncho". You could do a 1 layer poncho, no hood, by simply cutting out a circle or square of fabric with a head hole and not worry about sewing anything.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
The ponchos are a life saver for me. Have been using with my own kids for several winters. Google "1 yard fleece poncho". You could do a 1 layer poncho, no hood, by simply cutting out a circle or square of fabric with a head hole and not worry about sewing anything.
YES! I used a fleece blanket (baby sized) with my own kids and wayyyy back when I used to transport dck's. I suggest them to every parent who does car seats the 'right' way (takes off the bulky coats).

I have 4 daycare kids who leave coats here M-F and come in their fleece ponchos. Poncho goes in cubby until pick up. Easy Peasy!
mamamanda 01:09 PM 01-03-2018
I love the fleece poncho idea. I like to sew & could make those easily enough. It is cold here. This week it's been -14 & the wind chill makes it like -28. I went out to pre warm the van w/o my gloves on & my fingers were red & stinging by the time I got back in. I can't imagine not bundling them like crazy...shoes, hats, gloves, etc. At least that would save time with coats though.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:17 PM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I love the fleece poncho idea. I like to sew & could make those easily enough. It is cold here. This week it's been -14 & the wind chill makes it like -28. I went out to pre warm the van w/o my gloves on & my fingers were red & stinging by the time I got back in. I can't imagine not bundling them like crazy...shoes, hats, gloves, etc. At least that would save time with coats though.
I put a hood on ours, I can only sew straight lines and managed. Also made them long enough to come down past finger tips. I live in Alaska for reference... we use them all winter for the trips we are just getting in and out of the car and running in somewhere.
Tags:car safety, car seats, car seats - guidelines, coats, morning routine
Reply Up