Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rummage Sale Rules....
Abigail 06:36 PM 09-11-2011
I've learned if I go out to rummage sales and if I find great stuff at the first place I should just go home! I've learned the hard way spending too much time and gas driving around to rummages when the very first one I go to is always the only good one.

Today I wasn't even going to go to rummages, but saw one on my way to recycle so I drove around the block and boy am I glad I did! I finally got some "boy toys" which I desperately needed.....my pick of some hotwheel cars and tools for only a quarter each. I also found some dr. kit parts like those big plastic bandaids, the arm-squeeze-thing to get your heart rate, and shot all for a quarter each. Then they had FOUR carry-along board books with CDS in perfect condition all $2 each. They were song books. Lastly, a Melissa and Doug wooden princess bear lacing outfits box for $3. I'm very happy with my purchase!
iheartkids 06:58 PM 09-11-2011
That's great! I'm that dumb garage saler that gets all excited about seeing brand new toys and some STILL in boxes that I buy it right up! Then I go home, get online and see that I barely paid less than what it was selling for in the stores Or I'll see it in the ad...show up RIGHT when the ad says it is open and the stuff is already gone cause someone showed up 20 minutes earlier. I hate being rude showing up to a garage sale earlier than the paper says but I've gotten screwed out of good deals because I abide by the times!
daycare 07:27 PM 09-11-2011
I'm excited for this coming Saturday. Our city declares it recycle weekend and everyone has garage sales. It's the best! I've been saving for it and l even better my best friend will be here to visit and she iS queen of garage sales.

It's so cool, if you go down to city hall, they will give you a map and list of all the addresses that are participating in the garage sale weekend.

This is when I find my books and art supplies! I can't wait. Lol
Candyland 08:22 PM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I've learned if I go out to rummage sales and if I find great stuff at the first place I should just go home! I've learned the hard way spending too much time and gas driving around to rummages when the very first one I go to is always the only good one.

Today I wasn't even going to go to rummages, but saw one on my way to recycle so I drove around the block and boy am I glad I did! I finally got some "boy toys" which I desperately needed.....my pick of some hotwheel cars and tools for only a quarter each. I also found some dr. kit parts like those big plastic bandaids, the arm-squeeze-thing to get your heart rate, and shot all for a quarter each. Then they had FOUR carry-along board books with CDS in perfect condition all $2 each. They were song books. Lastly, a Melissa and Doug wooden princess bear lacing outfits box for $3. I'm very happy with my purchase!
ooooh; I love finding a great find too!! Congratulations on that Melissa & Doug puzzle! They're expensive! But, I love them too!
Candyland 08:24 PM 09-11-2011
Do any of you contain your excitement when you see a great find on the table?? I act like I'm not too interested and then ask the price cuz lots of times they don't have the price. LOL
daycare 08:58 PM 09-11-2011
Lol oooh good point gonna have to try to remember that For this weekend! That way they don't make the price higher.
Abigail 09:58 PM 09-11-2011
I always scan the rummage items right when I walk up. I go to the items I think someone in the garage might snatch up first and then work my way back to the basics that parents might not buy. I'm the one who sits down on the hot cement digging through a large tub of toys because half the time parents stick all the little kids toys in a tub with stuffed animals and say a quarter a piece and don't realize the value of the item! Once I bought a cat stuffed animal that had a number of production on it. Bought it for myself because it was cute and realistic looking and I LOVE cats. Looked it up online just to find out it was selling for nearly a hundred dollars on ebay. I decided the money was better worth the stuffed animal.

I have had no luck with "community" rummages because so many of the people tend to sell household items and not quality kids toys. Most of it is missing pieces or broken or dollar store items. I always have a secret "daycare fund" which I use for items that are great quality and just a steal if I instantly have to say "I'll take it"! I'm not one to price haggle in person so rummage sales I buy it if I am willing to pay it. If I'm doing Craigslist or something online sometimes I try to ask them down a bit.
Tags:purchasing., rummage sales, toys
Reply Up