Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Program Rates?
AfterSchoolMom 10:41 AM 03-02-2010
Hi everyone!

Currently I provide before/after school care only. During the summer I take on one or two part time kids for all day care. This year I'm planning on having scheduled trips, weekly themes, library summer reading, etc. I'm envisioning more of a "summer camp" experience, and I'm going to take on (hopefully) two school agers full time. My question to you all is this - how much is fair to charge for this? We will be spending alot of time outdoors, taking field trips, doing arts and crafts, etc. and very little or no time sitting around indoors or watching TV. In my area rates vary wildly from $75 per week to $300 per week. I've checked into five or six summer programs around here that are similar, and they seem to charge anywhere between $20 to $50 per day. I know that rates vary depending on the area, but thought I'd get some opinions.
momma2girls 11:06 AM 03-02-2010
What I charge here in Iowa is before and after school rates are $50.00 per child. Then weekly summer rates for school aged children are $25.00 per day per child.
momofboys 11:45 AM 03-02-2010
I'd probably charge at least $30 a day, especially if you are including the field trips, etc. Are you making parents pay the cost of the field trips or is that included? If you are not making them pay extra for the special activities I'd consider raising it a bit more if you think it is well within the normal range for your area?
AfterSchoolMom 11:58 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I'd probably charge at least $30 a day, especially if you are including the field trips, etc. Are you making parents pay the cost of the field trips or is that included? If you are not making them pay extra for the special activities I'd consider raising it a bit more if you think it is well within the normal range for your area?
I haven't decided yet. I read in another thread here that someone charges a "registration" fee that they put in an envelope for each child and use that money for extras throughout the summer...I think that's a fantastic idea and I'd like to incorporate that, but as far as admission fees, etc...I just don't know. It'd probably be better to include them and charge a bit more than to bug parents for money all summer, right?
TGT09 12:36 PM 03-02-2010
I charge $25 a day, just for the care. I also charge the parents for field trips seperately as to exactly where we are going. I of course, eat a small portion but most of my parents insist on paying entrance fees and what not. I let them know at least 2 weeks ahead of time so they can plan alternate care if they either don't want their children to attend or don't have the money. This is for summer only though.
Persephone 01:07 PM 03-02-2010
Did you read the other thread that I had started on School Age Summer care?

I'm planning the same thing! I'm still thinking about if I'm going to charge for extra cost of things or add in to price.

Someone I know in a town an hour from me (bigger type city) charged $20 a day. She said she was too low. She provided meals also. That's another thing to think about. The two ladies on this site who do SASC (School aged Summer care) do not provide meals, stating that they are too picky.

The YMCA in my area charges $85 a week with no meals.

I figure I'd charge more then that and provide meals. I think that it will be just as easy since I'm going to be cooking for me and my son anyways. That would off set lunch cost for us.

Another thing to think about with SASC, is on your trips don't forget that most younger school kids need a booster yet in your car. Will you provide those if needed or ask the parents to provide an extra for you.
AfterSchoolMom 01:14 PM 03-02-2010
Persephone, I have two extra booster seats, so that's not an issue. I've debated about including meals as well - you're right, I'll be cooking for myself and my own children anyway, so it wouldn't take alot of effort to make two extra lunches. However, kids ARE picky, so I'm planning on giving parents the option of packing a lunch, and charging accordingly.

The good thing about my town is that there are a TON of things that we can do during the summer that are fun and that don't cost a cent. I'm planning on about four field trips during the entire summer that actually charge admission. When all is said and done, all of the admission costs combined will be about $35 per child.
momma2girls 01:27 PM 03-02-2010
If I am on a field trip that cost any money to get in- the parents do pay for this for their child. We usually go on free field trips throughout the summer. Once or twice we went to a zoo, and there is admission fees for this. I do provide all meals for field trips, I pack sack lunches for everyone, to save on lunches.
Persephone 01:56 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Persephone, I have two extra booster seats, so that's not an issue. I've debated about including meals as well - you're right, I'll be cooking for myself and my own children anyway, so it wouldn't take alot of effort to make two extra lunches. However, kids ARE picky, so I'm planning on giving parents the option of packing a lunch, and charging accordingly.

The good thing about my town is that there are a TON of things that we can do during the summer that are fun and that don't cost a cent. I'm planning on about four field trips during the entire summer that actually charge admission. When all is said and done, all of the admission costs combined will be about $35 per child.
I'd maybe figure how much it might cost for the summer, divide that by the number of weeks of the summer and figure would that cost.

Don't forget the cost of state parks that charge to get in the front gate per car.

I wish my town had more that we could do other then parks and the library. There's the local pool that cost $4 (you can get coupon books that make is $2 each, which I would do if we would go). Then everything else basically is 30 mins to hour drive.

So those things will just be every other week or so.
momma2girls 02:10 PM 03-02-2010
We have splashpads that are free, a small zoo, libraries, and free movies during the summer.
Persephone 02:15 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
We have splashpads that are free, a small zoo, libraries, and free movies during the summer.
Oh! I didn't think about the free movies.
AfterSchoolMom 02:25 PM 03-02-2010
Yes! We have one splashpad, several parks with huge playgrounds, a big indoor play area at the mall, free movies, a children's petting zoo/farm, the library (they have a summer reading program with prizes), and our neighborhood pools (there are 3). I'm also trying to arrange a trip with another group to visit the local firehouse. I'm planning bowling, a "bounce house", a museum, and one lunch "out" at McD's or Chick-Fil-A - those things will cost money. Otherwise, we'll do arts and crafts, we'll create science projects, cook, play outside at home, and have free play inside to fill the gaps.
Persephone 03:35 PM 03-02-2010
Yes! We have one splashpad, several parks with huge playgrounds, a big indoor play area at the mall, free movies, a children's petting zoo/farm, the library (they have a summer reading program with prizes), and our neighborhood pools (there are 3). I'm also trying to arrange a trip with another group to visit the local firehouse. I'm planning bowling, a "bounce house", a museum, and one lunch "out" at McD's or Chick-Fil-A - those things will cost money. Otherwise, we'll do arts and crafts, we'll create science projects, cook, play outside at home, and have free play inside to fill the gaps.
I wish we had Splash pads around here. There's 1 pool in town, 1 in the town 15 mins away. There's an indoor water park 30 mins away, then the next thing is an hour drive.

The nearest zoo is also an hour drive, also the bounce house and museum. There is a small local museum, but it's not really for kids, but you could do like an hour trip there.
Persephone 04:11 PM 03-02-2010
Okay, this is what I'm looking to put in the local paper:

Summer Day Camp - Openings for ages 6-12. Near local Parks and Library. Field Trips. Meals provided. Call ***-****

Do I need to change anything? Do I need the park and library part? I'm going to add that I have openings for Spring Break also.

I'm going to see how the paper will let me run it. I know it's like $20 (16 words or less) for 6 days. I'd like to run it maybe every other day for 2-3 weeks. I'd also like make it so it stands out in some way. All the child care ads are the same font and none stand out.
AfterSchoolMom 04:44 PM 03-02-2010
I think it sounds fine - I'm not experienced with newspaper ads, b/c the majority of my families have come from referrals or Craigslist. Do you pay by the word?

Here's another question - what do you think a good daily schedule would look like for the summer for older kids? I'm thinking:

7am-9am - Arrival, breakfast, free play (they can watch a little TV during this time)
9-12 - Morning Activity (library, pool, etc.)
12-12:30 - Lunch
12:30 - 1:15 - Quiet/Rest time, Reading
1:15-3:15 - Afternoon Activity
3:15-3:30 - Snack
3:30-4:30 - Free Play inside or outside
4:30-5 - Clean up, Departure
Persephone 05:10 PM 03-02-2010
I'm not sure if it's by the word for the $20 or what. I know after 16 words it cost more.

I think the schedule looks good.

I think that I will also say no electronics, like hand helds. Maybe like once a week or every other week they can bring them or maybe rainy days. But I don't care for hand helds, then they do nothing but zone out on the game.

There's not a craigslist for my town, so I can't get anyone from there. There's just a cheapcycle, which is normally pretty slow. I did post on my facebook and sent messages to my friends who I know have kids or would work with people with kids.

I think it sounds fine - I'm not experienced with newspaper ads, b/c the majority of my families have come from referrals or Craigslist. Do you pay by the word?

Here's another question - what do you think a good daily schedule would look like for the summer for older kids? I'm thinking:

7am-9am - Arrival, breakfast, free play (they can watch a little TV during this time)
9-12 - Morning Activity (library, pool, etc.)
12-12:30 - Lunch
12:30 - 1:15 - Quiet/Rest time, Reading
1:15-3:15 - Afternoon Activity
3:15-3:30 - Snack
3:30-4:30 - Free Play inside or outside
4:30-5 - Clean up, Departure

Persephone 09:18 AM 03-04-2010
AfterSchoolMom,

Do you have any paper work, worked up? I have my normal child care stuff, but I need to change it up for older kids. Do you have any tips?

Email me missmeme@insightbb.com

I ad is going in the local paper tomorrow so I want to be ready. I figure most people around here don't need child care for younger children, but school age will be needed soon, so I hope I can get some kids.
AfterSchoolMom 04:23 PM 03-04-2010
Persephone, yes I do, and would be happy to send it to you...I've ordered a new power cord for my laptop (I'm using my hubby's computer now), and it should be here soon. As soon as I can regain access to my files, I'll send it along!

My summer contract is very similar to my regular contract. A few differences to my policies are that I don't do two week's notice in the summer (I drop it down to one week), and that I require each parent to provide a backpack or bag each day with a CLEAN, DRY towel and swimsuit, pool appropriate shoes, spray on "no rub" sunscreen (make sure you get a permission form to apply it or have parents apply it in the morning) and a refillable water bottle. I also raise my late payment/late pickup fees. Summer is limited time-wise, and I don't have time to "break in" new parents, so I make it worth their while NOT to break the rules!
Persephone 04:04 AM 03-05-2010
Persephone, yes I do, and would be happy to send it to you...I've ordered a new power cord for my laptop (I'm using my hubby's computer now), and it should be here soon. As soon as I can regain access to my files, I'll send it along!

My summer contract is very similar to my regular contract. A few differences to my policies are that I don't do two week's notice in the summer (I drop it down to one week), and that I require each parent to provide a backpack or bag each day with a CLEAN, DRY towel and swimsuit, pool appropriate shoes, spray on "no rub" sunscreen (make sure you get a permission form to apply it or have parents apply it in the morning) and a refillable water bottle. I also raise my late payment/late pickup fees. Summer is limited time-wise, and I don't have time to "break in" new parents, so I make it worth their while NOT to break the rules!
Sounds good!
Persephone 09:26 AM 03-05-2010
What are your calendar plans? I don't want to over do it but I don't want to under do it.

I figure parks 2 times a week, library once, crafts once and then there's one day to do what ever.

Will you be going to the city pool? How often? I think I might like going to the beach better, since there would be a park right there and less people, but no life guards.

I was going to do pool every other week and then a field trip on the other weeks, but it seems like so much? That's pool twice a month and a bigger trip twice a month?

Trips I was planning are:

Zoo -$7.50
State Park with beach - cost per car load
Indoor Water Park - $12.50
Children's museum - $3.00 ($6.00 but BOGO makes $3)
Different bigger Zoo - $8.50 (would be end of the summer trip since it's a long drive)

City Pool - $2-$4 a visit can buy discount booklet

Plus I'd have to figure in time for free movies in town. There's not much else in town. Train station, which we could ride for like $13. Mill that grinds corn - free. Small local museum - free (donations).
momma2girls 09:42 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
What are your calendar plans? I don't want to over do it but I don't want to under do it.

I figure parks 2 times a week, library once, crafts once and then there's one day to do what ever.

Will you be going to the city pool? How often? I think I might like going to the beach better, since there would be a park right there and less people, but no life guards.

I was going to do pool every other week and then a field trip on the other weeks, but it seems like so much? That's pool twice a month and a bigger trip twice a month?

Trips I was planning are:

Zoo -$7.50
State Park with beach - cost per car load
Indoor Water Park - $12.50
Children's museum - $3.00 ($6.00 but BOGO makes $3)
Different bigger Zoo - $8.50 (would be end of the summer trip since it's a long drive)

City Pool - $2-$4 a visit can buy discount booklet

Plus I'd have to figure in time for free movies in town. There's not much else in town. Train station, which we could ride for like $13. Mill that grinds corn - free. Small local museum - free (donations).
I so wish there was a beach near me!!! lol!!! I could live on the beach!!! needless to say, there are not any near Iowa !!!LOL!!!!!
Persephone 10:19 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I so wish there was a beach near me!!! lol!!! I could live on the beach!!! needless to say, there are not any near Iowa !!!LOL!!!!!
Well it's not like beach and ocean and sea...it's on a lake. Nothing great.
Michael 11:52 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Well it's not like beach and ocean and sea...it's on a lake. Nothing great.
Ok, I am near the Santa Monica beach today. A little chilly though. From my iPhone:

AfterSchoolMom 11:57 AM 03-05-2010
We don't have a beach here either (I would LOVE it if we did!), but my neighborhood has a very nice pool, so we go there often. We'll probably swim at least once if not twice per week. Our schedule looks like this (sorry if this is a repost):

Monday - Library, Pool
Tuesday - Free Movie morning, Park (Picnic Lunch)
Wednesday - Arts and Crafts or other project, Pool
Thursday - Field trip of some sort (I have four free and four paid trips planned, and I'm going to alternate), or a day to do whatever if it's raining

I do have a bunch of indoor activities planned for bad weather days.

I'm off on Fridays usually to do things with my own kids.

Edited to add: Michael, that is BEAUTIFUL!! Oh, I'm jealous.
momma2girls 12:29 PM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Ok, I am near the Santa Monica beach today. A little chilly though. From my iPhone:

OMG!!!! THis is so beautiful!!!!!
Persephone 01:49 PM 03-05-2010
We don't have a beach here either (I would LOVE it if we did!), but my neighborhood has a very nice pool, so we go there often. We'll probably swim at least once if not twice per week. Our schedule looks like this (sorry if this is a repost):

Monday - Library, Pool
Tuesday - Free Movie morning, Park (Picnic Lunch)
Wednesday - Arts and Crafts or other project, Pool
Thursday - Field trip of some sort (I have four free and four paid trips planned, and I'm going to alternate), or a day to do whatever if it's raining

I do have a bunch of indoor activities planned for bad weather days.

I'm off on Fridays usually to do things with my own kids.

Edited to add: Michael, that is BEAUTIFUL!! Oh, I'm jealous.
Do you have a problem finding families that just need M-Th? I'd love that.

Okay, so I'm thinking that I'm not planning too much then from the looks of yours.

Thanks!
Unregistered 04:49 AM 12-08-2012

Hello - I was wondering if you could possibly send me a copy of your summer contract?
Building Blocks 10:47 AM 12-08-2012
Last summer I only cared for my best friends two boys school age kids. I only changed her 160.00 a week and that included 1-2 trips a week and snack and lunch. This summer I will be changing 120.00 a week each child and then extra for trips.
mama2one 09:51 AM 04-16-2013
this is what i have and i am new to the summer care so i am open to suggestions on how i charge. i dont live in a city i live in a very small town so i do not charge alot. any suggestions ideas on this????

School Age-
Summer/Breaks-
Full Time 3-5 days a week- $120.00
Part Time- 2 days a week- $50.00
1 day a week- $25.00

Before and After school Care-
3-5 days a week- $60.00
2 days a week- $30.00
1 day a week- $15.00
Tags:rates, summer program
Reply Up