Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Do You List Your Rates Online?
BigLittleHomeDaycare 09:11 PM 05-19-2014
Hi, I am starting up my home daycare business as soon as I get my first client. whenever that will be. I have listed my business on Care.com and I have a website. I was wondering if any experienced family daycare owners have posted their rates online. I was thinking I should, however in my research I rarely see rates on websites. What do you suggest? Any pro's and con's are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
butterfly 10:51 AM 05-20-2014
I don't list rates in advertisements. I don't know if there is any benefit to doing it or not (other than weeding out the ones that couldn't afford my services).

I wanted to get the phone calls first and then be able to tell them about my program before they knew what I was charging. Also I felt like my competition could easily under cut my rates if it was published for everyone to see. Now, I haven't advertised in years and don't really care what my competition does so I'm not sure if I'd list my rates now or not.
melilley 11:49 AM 05-20-2014
I only have them listed on my website. When I advertised, I didn't put my rates in my advertisements. I think they should have to call to find out about my program first or at least take a look at my website to see what I charge.
TwinKristi 12:25 PM 05-20-2014
I don't include my rates on any advertising. My rates vary by attendance and age.
Brookenbrandt 09:50 AM 05-21-2014
I feel that it is important to be as transparent as possible. I would not include the exact rates on a random advertisement, but if people are inquiring about my services by visiting my website then I don't see a problem with putting it on there. I am not trying to trick people by hooking them into my services and then telling them the rates. If they want to pay the rates then they will come to me, if not they will go somewhere else.
craftymissbeth 09:53 AM 05-21-2014
I don't include my rates in advertisements, but I really only advertise on local Facebook groups.

My rates are on my website, though.
Meeko 04:30 PM 05-22-2014
I know some will try and tell you to get the interview first and then tell them the rates.

I personally do not like this move. Why get them all excited about your program, only to find they simply can't afford it? It's a waste of everybody's time.

I have said before.....I would never be interested in buying a car from a dealer who insisted on telling all about the great features of a car, want me to take a test drive etc....and refuse to tell me the price until I had done those things.

There is a furniture place here in Utah who offer "membership" into their purchasing club and fantastic bargains on furniture. They do seem to have great prices on things. HOWEVER......they will NOT tell you over the phone (I've tried) what their membership fee is. They skirt the issue and try and get you go to a presentation etc etc. I will NEVER be interested in a company who does business that way no matter what they can offer me. I want upfront pricing.

Parents are often in a crunch to find daycare. They have to see numerous programs in a fairly short period of time. They don't need games. It doesn't matter of the program is fantastic if it just WON'T fit in their budget.

So yes...I show my rates everywhere. That way I know at interview they are REALLY interested and CAN afford it.
BigLittleHomeDaycare 09:38 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I know some will try and tell you to get the interview first and then tell them the rates.

I personally do not like this move. Why get them all excited about your program, only to find they simply can't afford it? It's a waste of everybody's time.

I have said before.....I would never be interested in buying a car from a dealer who insisted on telling all about the great features of a car, want me to take a test drive etc....and refuse to tell me the price until I had done those things.

There is a furniture place here in Utah who offer "membership" into their purchasing club and fantastic bargains on furniture. They do seem to have great prices on things. HOWEVER......they will NOT tell you over the phone (I've tried) what their membership fee is. They skirt the issue and try and get you go to a presentation etc etc. I will NEVER be interested in a company who does business that way no matter what they can offer me. I want upfront pricing.

Parents are often in a crunch to find daycare. They have to see numerous programs in a fairly short period of time. They don't need games. It doesn't matter of the program is fantastic if it just WON'T fit in their budget.

So yes...I show my rates everywhere. That way I know at interview they are REALLY interested and CAN afford it.

Meeko - This is how I felt about it too. And some of the other posters had great input. My rates are what they are. I don't plan on changing them based on what someone else charges near me - I can do my own homework to see whether or not my prices discourage interested parents and go from there.I have my first interview for a family on Saturday! I really appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks!
Tags:new daycare, online information, prices, rates
Reply Up