Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Really Discouraged (Vent)
AfterSchoolMom 12:09 PM 12-09-2010
Last year I had four families and was completely full. Over the summer I lost three of those families, and struggled to get two more (but with less kids). I lost one of them last month, then just found out I'm losing one of my remaining two. I'll be down to ONE SA child and that's it, right at Christmas time.

This last family leaving upsets me - every other family left because they moved, or a parent decided to stay home, etc. This one is staying right here, just looking elsewhere. I'm trying not to take it personally, but I'm bummed...and getting ready to be VERY poor.

I've been advertising since September for more families, and haven't had ANY interest whatsoever except from families who want crazy schedules for no money.
I know that we all experience these peaks and valleys in this business, but how do you cope when times are bad? I don't want to give up, because child care allows me to be home with my children. Ugh.
marniewon 12:23 PM 12-09-2010
So sorry to hear this Any chance you could get a very PT job in the evenings/weekends just until your business picks up? When I first started my dc, last year, I got no bites right away, so I got a job delivering pizzas, just a few nights a week. I ended up liking that job so much that I continued on even after I got kids. I just quit this past June, but not because I didn't like the job, the owner was just an idiot (would schedule mandatory meetings during the day and then get mad when I couldn't make it - even though he KNEW I couldn't make it! Stuff like that).

I hope things turn around for you and soon! Did this latest family give any indication why they wanted to leave? I read your vent in the vent folder, and see that she responded to your ad - did she give a reason that she was looking for new daycare?
jen 02:57 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Last year I had four families and was completely full. Over the summer I lost three of those families, and struggled to get two more (but with less kids). I lost one of them last month, then just found out I'm losing one of my remaining two. I'll be down to ONE SA child and that's it, right at Christmas time.

This last family leaving upsets me - every other family left because they moved, or a parent decided to stay home, etc. This one is staying right here, just looking elsewhere. I'm trying not to take it personally, but I'm bummed...and getting ready to be VERY poor.

I've been advertising since September for more families, and haven't had ANY interest whatsoever except from families who want crazy schedules for no money.
I know that we all experience these peaks and valleys in this business, but how do you cope when times are bad? I don't want to give up, because child care allows me to be home with my children. Ugh.
Do you know why the one family decided to look elsewhere? Sometimes I think it helps to step back and look at our program from the outside in...perhaps you will see some areas that can be improved, or maybe it is a pricing issue?

Sometimes you just have to find your niche and then make sure you are letting those families that fit your "type" of daycare know you are out there! If you don't have a niche, create one and then SELL it!

Where are you advertising? What does your ad look like? I bet if you post one of your ads here, some of the seasoned providers could give you some feedback that might be helpful!
Greenshadow 05:21 PM 12-09-2010
I had a hiccup or two recently too. I had four families for a total of 4 kids. One family ended up getting free childcare from a friend who didnt work so that was one down. I do have a lady next door that is looking for care but unfortunately I promised one of my current parents that I would not take in another infant so I can not bring in that child without losing the current job I have (which she now has two children I care for). I have one spot available right now and cant seem to fill it with someone over 2 years old. So what Ive been doing is scouring craigslist for parents looking for a babysitter for a few hours here and there (drop-in) just to get something coming in in the meantime. Maybe you can advertise for that too. Right now I have one little girl that I get very off/on but its better than nothing. Times do get tough for people but they pick back up. Dont give up.
Lucy 05:45 PM 12-09-2010
Last summer I had more kids than I wanted. Some days there were 10 kids here ages 1-10. Now? One full-time 2yo, one 3days/wk 2yo, two SA'ers. That means two days a week I have ONE 2yo from 8:45 to 3:45. It sucks. I've also been advertising since September. Had one lady come by and couldn't believe how expensive it was. I'm not expensive - I am in about the 80th percentile for my area - but she had a friend watching the kids before and payed her very, very, very little. She admitted it's not me, it's just she had no idea how much childcare really costs. Other than her, I haven't had any bites. This is the driest streak I've had in 16 years.
Bizzymom1111 06:43 PM 12-09-2010
<<<hugs!!>>> I totally feel your frustration. My ONLY family just terminated last Friday. (see my thread "I want to be done") I know this business has it's ups and downs, and when youre down, it feels like an eternity till it picks up. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary this January in this business, and I don t want to give up yet, but it is sooo frustrating sometimes. Keep on advertising, and hopefully you'll fill up those spots soon! Good luck!
SilverSabre25 08:35 PM 12-09-2010
More hugs from me! I felt like this back in September/October (late August? I forget) when I suddenly found myself barely making enough money for us to get by. I was having a heck of a time getting new clients.

I revamped my Craigslist ad, decided to offer care for ONE child on Saturdays (so I could still go places since I have my DD), decided that I was willing to work until 8 in the evening, and lowered my rates (that one hurt, but I had to). I also started applying for a job elsewhere.

Well, within a few weeks, I suddenly found myself full again--too full, in fact. Suddenly, something shifted and oh look! I had way too many people looking for care. I filled up, and even though I had some hiccups with the new kids, those have ironed out and worked out.

It just took time, patience...and the acceptance that maybe I needed to get a job elsewhere. Not that I ended up needing to, but accepting it helped me see the dry spell through.
Tags:advertising, economy, vent
Reply Up