Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Question
Ariana 09:31 AM 01-30-2017
I am starting my first infant this week. He is 1 year old so not super young and can crawl. Not walking yet.

Would it be reasonable to put him in his high chair while I get snacks and lunch ready? Maybe put a few toys on his tray? My main level is not baby friendly so I would prefer not to have him crawling around. Gates might be an option but I would have to buy two to contain him in the kitchen.

What do you do? Thanks
Play Care 09:48 AM 01-30-2017
In my State we can have them in the high chair if we are actually making the meal, so I think you would be fine.
That said, a small gated play yard might also be a nice option.
finsup 10:00 AM 01-30-2017
I do that for my one year olds (ones 15m, not walking but close, other is 16m and walking) it makes it so much easier. They play, I talk to them as I cook, and the big kids can clean up without the babies taking everything out again. I have 2 pnp's as an option too but I like the high chair. That way they're set and ready to go at mealtime. Plus towards lunch, the 16m old will lay down and go to sleep if I put him in a pnp, but will be fine in a high chair.
Pestle 10:10 AM 01-30-2017
Kids aren't permitted in the kitchen in my state. My dining room is the feeding/arts & crafts area, and I have a swing gate between the dining room and kitchen so I can watch them while I prep.

So your food prep area isn't close to where you serve the food? Then could you prep in advance and just grab the plate out of the fridge at meal times?
Ariana 10:26 AM 01-30-2017
Yes the table is in the kitchen where I prep the meal but the living room and dining room are in seperate rooms so I am worried about him crawling in there out of sight. My house is pretty big and I likely wouldn't hear him either.

I am legally unlicensed in Canada so don't have as many regulations to contend with. I will give it a try and if he kicks up too much fuss I will invest in some pressure gates.

Thanks
cassiesue 11:04 AM 01-30-2017
I use highchairs as well during food prep. I provide them with a bit of finger foods to keep them busy.
Tags:highchairs, infant, infant - meals, milestones
Reply Up