Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Respond To This Text?
Homebody 10:37 AM 06-01-2018
So, got a text from dc mom saying "Can you please cash your check right away I'm trying to keep track of my bills. Thank you".

I'm not sure if she just means the check she gave me yesterday, or start doing it every week. Her daughter has recently started spending every other Friday with her dad, and so mom pays on Thursdays those weeks. I wait until I get everyone's checks and go on Friday evening or Saturday morning. Occasionally if something personal comes up I have to wait until Monday. We dont live in town, and have to drive 15 minutes to get to bank. So, I'm not going to make a special trip just to deposit her check.

I just feel a little put off by her telling me when to go to the bank just because she's having trouble keeping track of her bills.

Would you respond to the text or just ignore it?
sharlan 10:41 AM 06-01-2018
Does your bank allow you to deposit checks from your phone?
Homebody 10:56 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't know, I will have to check...I'm not very tech savy and honestly didn't know you could do this. It would definitely save me time driving to the bank.
LysesKids 11:00 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I don't know, I will have to check...I'm not very tech savy and honestly didn't know you could do this. It would definitely save me time driving to the bank.
essentially you download the app for the bank, take pics of front & back of the check & follow directions to deposit by mobile. They usually tell you within 15 -30 minutes if it's okayed. If you don't take the pics correctly it won't go thru, so do exactly as directions state
TooManyKitties 11:01 AM 06-01-2018
Most banks offer this feature, but if your bank is small they might put a hold on it. That’s what our credit union used to do, but USAA, for example, didn’t. Good luck!
Unregistered 11:03 AM 06-01-2018
NO WAY. I think I have pretty much heard everything now. There is no way a parent should tell you when where how ect. to spend, cash or deposit. Unreal
Unregistered 11:05 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Ummm who cares what her bank allows. No parent has the right to tell you what to do with your paycheck.
JBWWCC 11:08 AM 06-01-2018
I would respond, by saying my bank days are limited. I deposit all of my checks together and I will get yours in as soon as possible. She doesn't have the right to tell you when to deposit because she can't manage her own bills. One time I understand but not for the foreseeable future.
redmaple 11:12 AM 06-01-2018
Bank runs are made once all checks are in. Deposits will be made no later than Mondays at 6:30 pm.
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 06-01-2018
I'd respond "I understand. It is hard for me to get to the bank during the week since we work the same hours. It would be great if you would stop by the bank on your way here and simply bring cash from here on. Thanks!"
hwichlaz 11:19 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ummm who cares what her bank allows. No parent has the right to tell you what to do with your paycheck.
Ofcourse not, but it’s good info if her bank is 15 miles away.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:23 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by redmaple:
Bank runs are made once all checks are in. Deposits will be made no later than Mondays at 6:30 pm.
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd respond "I understand. It is hard for me to get to the bank during the week since we work the same hours. It would be great if you would stop by the bank on your way here and simply bring cash from here on. Thanks!"
I would combine these two. Either bring cash or expect that close of business day on Monday will be the latest deposit. My guess is that she is trying to plan for checks to come out so she doesn't overdraft, in which case, cash may be a better option.
Homebody 11:57 AM 06-01-2018
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will probably use a combination of the above responses. The only problem with her paying cash is that is the way she use to pay and she would never bring the exact amount. She would always pay $15 over because it was all in $20 bills, instead of giving me a $5 bill to make the correct amount. And then the next week try to remember she overpaid by $15. So, I will just have to tell her to pay exact amount if she goes back to paying way again.

There's been other minor issues with this mom (nothing to term over) that just always leaves me shaking my head.
Snowmom 11:59 AM 06-01-2018
Oh my goodness.
What happened to a check register? Do people really have such a hard time balancing a checkbook?

That would piss me off too. I'd do as cat herder suggested and tell her that if it's that important to her, she needs to pay in cash.
sharlan 12:05 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If her bank has that option she won't have to go to the bank at all. She could deposit all of her checks that way.
Homebody 12:10 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Oh my goodness.
What happened to a check register? Do people really have such a hard time balancing a checkbook?
That's exactly what I was thinking! As soon as I make a payment I make the subtraction in my checkbook and consider it gone, whether it has been deposited or not. I feel like she is making her problem of keeping track of bills my problem, and thats not gonna fly!
Cat Herder 12:14 PM 06-01-2018
she would never bring the exact amount. She would always pay $15 over because it was all in $20 bills,
"No change will be given. Tips welcomed."

If only, right? I do find having cash clients pay on Monday, in advance of the week, leads to them having exact change more often. It leaves less for me to have to remember to credit for next weeks invoice.

Have you checked out the online payment options, yet. They really do simplify things significantly. Especially auto invoicing.
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 06-01-2018
That's exactly what I was thinking! As soon as I make a payment I make the subtraction in my checkbook and consider it gone, whether it has been deposited or not. I feel like she is making her problem of keeping track of bills my problem, and thats not gonna fly!
I lose those things. If I have to take it out of the house with me, it get's gone. It is just something I do. I have accepted it and adapted. I don't do checkbooks for this reason. Debit only.

I keep two accounts. One for money coming in. One for money going out. It works well for people, like me, who lose things.
Homebody 12:39 PM 06-01-2018
"No change will be given. Tips welcomed."
Haha!!! I wish I could say that!

I've only looked into Venmo, but they are starting to get bad reviews because people's bank accounts are getting frozen for no reason. I would only be interested in a free one.

Found out my bank does do mobile banking. I just need to get it set up.
Homebody 12:42 PM 06-01-2018
I lose those things. If I have to take it out of the house with me, it get's gone. It is just something I do. I have accepted it and adapted. I don't do checkbooks for this reason. Debit only.

I keep two accounts. One for money coming in. One for money going out. It works well for people, like me, who lose things.
Yes, I do debit or credit when I'm out too. Much more convenient. I just use checks for the couple of remaining payments I have to make monthly that I can't do online.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 06-01-2018
Haha!!! I wish I could say that!

I've only looked into Venmo, but they are starting to get bad reviews because people's bank accounts are getting frozen for no reason. I would only be interested in a free one.

Found out my bank does do mobile banking. I just need to get it set up.
I do say that in my handbook/policies

I don’t and won’t give change or credit.
I’m not a bank or an accountant.

I also charge $10 additional fee for every check submitted as payment. I call it a processing fee.
I do that as a way of encouraging payment via bank transfer or cash instead of a check. I just don’t have time to drive to the bank every weekend.

My policies also state “if paying by check it may take up to 30 days for it to be cashed or deposited so please account for this time.”
BrynleeJean 01:04 PM 06-01-2018
I would respond. Im actually surprise i haven't received this same message.
most banks have banking apps for easy deposits. mine does.
I've been known to go a week and forget to deposit any daycare money, cash or check, the money is the last thing on my mind, i feel so bad when i deposit it that late. i still wouldn't accommodate the parent though, they can change their payment method.
CityGarden 01:16 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by redmaple:
This is what I would say as well in your case.

Wanted to add that I personally like the easy of mobile deposits, parents give the check to me and I upload them during snack time the funds are often clear by the end of my work day!
Homebody 01:21 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do say that in my handbook/policies

I don’t and won’t give change or credit.
I’m not a bank or an accountant.

I also charge $10 additional fee for every check submitted as payment. I call it a processing fee.
I do that as a way of encouraging payment via bank transfer or cash instead of a check. I just don’t have time to drive to the bank every weekend.

My policies also state “if paying by check it may take up to 30 days for it to be cashed or deposited so please account for this time.”
Those are some good policies to have. I'm slowly learning as I've only been doing this for 2 years. Most of my other parents I haven't had any problems with and have been lucky. I use to have parents who paid biweekly or monthly, and so didn't have to make the weekly trip to the bank. The 3 new families I have now are paying weekly. Definitely going to look into the mobile banking.
Homebody 01:25 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I would respond. Im actually surprise i haven't received this same message.
most banks have banking apps for easy deposits. mine does.
I've been known to go a week and forget to deposit any daycare money, cash or check, the money is the last thing on my mind, i feel so bad when i deposit it that late. i still wouldn't accommodate the parent though, they can change their payment method.
When I just had two families who paid biweekly and monthly I would often wait a week or two until I had both checks. Never had any issues with the families.
Homebody 01:28 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
This is what I would say as well in your case.

Wanted to add that I personally like the easy of mobile deposits, parents give the check to me and I upload them during snack time the funds are often clear by the end of my work day!
I texted her and said something similar, and added she could start paying cash again if it would be easier, but she would need to pay the exact amount. She hasn't responded yet.
Tags:checks
Reply Up