Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Bounced Check
Nickel 02:05 PM 11-26-2012
Well, I checked my account today and it is in the negative... Why, because one of the checks I cashed from a parent bounced. Sigh... She pays weekly and I found a check in my purse from 2 or 3 weeks ago. So I let mom know I found a check I hadn't cashed yet and is it okay if I go ahead and cash them both. She said sure no problem and even kind of laughed.

So, the next day I went to the bank and cashed both checks. Now I have had zero problems with this family. Mom always pays on time, even when dcb isn't here. He is also a great kid. I only have him for 3 more weeks though because dcm graduates this semester.

So when she comes tomorrow I have to confront her and let her know she owes me the amount of the check, the return check fee AND this weeks tuition. Sigh. I hate talking about money to dcf. I always feel soooo uncomfortable. I was thinking of typing up a letter and mentioning it to dcm when she drops off tomorrow. This really stinks, but I need the money for the holidays... Hopefully dcm will feel bad and will just pay the money without a fuss... I feel bad because I should have cashed the check then but I did ask before cashing it, just to make sure! grrr!!!!
Blackcat31 02:14 PM 11-26-2012
You should NOT feel bad as once the parent writes the check it is their resonsibility to deduct that amount from their accounts.

NO MATTER when you decide to cash the check, the money should have already been accounted for.

I have a slip of paper that says:

It may have been an oversight on your part, but a check written to me on xx, xx, 2012, was returned as an NSF check. Your current total due is now $_______.

This includes the $20 return check fee, the amount of the check and $*** for fees my bank charged me because of the returned check.

Please pay this amount IN FULL by the above date in cash. All further payments will now be required to be paid in cash.

Thank you

Provider

It happens. I try not to embarrass the parent but I still charge ALL fees to them that were a direct result of their check being returned.
Nickel 02:18 PM 11-26-2012
thanks BC,

That is short, sweet and to the point. I think i will print it out and handwrite the info so that it's more a standard form then something personal that came from me, if that makes sense. Sigh. i hope she pays me and doesn't run for the hills and find someone else for 3 weeks. That's my fear. That I will lose out on the income lost and her tuition from now until school is over. I replaced her come January but I won't be able to find anyone to fit into her current spot.
Blackcat31 02:24 PM 11-26-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
thanks BC,

That is short, sweet and to the point. I think i will print it out and handwrite the info so that it's more a standard form then something personal that came from me, if that makes sense. Sigh. i hope she pays me and doesn't run for the hills and find someone else for 3 weeks. That's my fear. That I will lose out on the income lost and her tuition from now until school is over. I replaced her come January but I won't be able to find anyone to fit into her current spot.
If she high tails it out, you can always turn the check over to collections or law enforcement because it WILL catch up with her since it is illegal to write a bad check in ALL states.
Nickel 02:30 PM 11-26-2012
I never even thought of that! Well, I will let you know how tomorrow goes. I might be asking you where to find that information
momofboys 04:32 PM 11-26-2012
I personally would not accept child into care since they owe $$
Scout 05:44 PM 11-26-2012
I dread the day....
renodeb 06:57 PM 11-26-2012
My bounced check policy is $25.00 plus the amount of the check in cash. Two bounced checks and they are put on a cash only basis from then on. In 6 years I have had only 2 bounced checks (both from diffrent people). Both paid asap!
Deb
Nickel 07:32 PM 11-26-2012
I was really lucky, my bank only charged me $12 and they didn't charge me an insufficient funds fee, thank goodness. Since I overdrafted my account. My policy is $35 so that covers the fee and the inconvenience plus the amount of the check. I just found out today and she is due in tomorrow. The sad thing is my bank never contacted me about the bounced check. Only about the insufficient funds. Go figure

Anyway, I will talk to her tomorrow. I tried to print out the letter bc posted but my printer ran out of ink and apparently I don't have money to buy more right now. Maybe once I get paid

I'm not as upset as I was earlier. I'm still annoyed, but I am hoping that tomorrrow will go off without a hitch. I sent her an email with the slightly modified wording from above. I let her know she has until Thursday to pay for the returned check (as she is part time tues/thurs).

It wouldn't be so bad except I am now in the negative. if I had money to cover it, it wouldn't be a big deal, but with thanksgiving and christmas shopping my account was already hovering at zero, kwim? Luckily It's not our main account, but still.
DaycareMomma 09:48 AM 11-27-2012
How did it go this morning?
MarinaVanessa 03:10 PM 11-27-2012
I want to know too!! Update Please!

Originally Posted by renodeb:
My bounced check policy is $25.00 plus the amount of the check in cash. Two bounced checks and they are put on a cash only basis from then on. In 6 years I have had only 2 bounced checks (both from diffrent people). Both paid asap!
Deb
My NSF or stopped -payment check fee policy is $35 plus the amount of the check in cash, plus the $10 per day late payment fee, plus any other costs that I incur because of their oversight (like if I use my debit card and get charged a fee because of NSF), all paid at the next mornings drop off, no more checks from family ever, no pay-so stay until it's all paid in full. Havn't had one NSF check since I beefed up my policy.
Nickel 05:17 PM 11-27-2012
It wasn't awful. I sent her an email last night, no response. This morning I asked if she saw her email. She said NO. I let her know about the bounced check, told her all the information was in the email and she said ok. That was it. So I will see what happens on Thurs. I am also going to have dh print out the email I sent her as well as a copy of the check. Hopefully it will be paid by Thurs and that will be the end of it. Hopefully...
momofboys 07:08 PM 11-27-2012
I wouldn't wait & see I would let her know you must be paid at drop off or you won't be able to provide care.
Tags:bounced check
Reply Up