Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can NOT Believe the Response I Got Back From This Woman!!
Breezy 09:31 AM 05-30-2012
E-mailed a woman looking for immediate DC for her two kids ages 1 and 5 last night. This was my e-mail to her:

Good evening!

I saw your ad on Craigslist for Child Care for your two children. We are located off of *** and ***X. We are a military family with a 15 month old son.
I have 4 years of childcare experience in a daycare setting and many more prior to that (babysitting, nannying, etc).

We have a small playset in our back yard, a playground directly across the street, and walking paths behind our home for in the early morning or evening when its not hot.

If you are interested in meeting with me, I have a few questions for you:

- Have your children been in daycare before? If so, why are you looking for a different daycare?

-What are the qualities you are looking for in a child care provider?

-What are you looking for in regards to enviornment? (Large group=social skills; Small group=one on one care)

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Breezy

*** The questions from BlackCat who was kind enough to share her open ended questions with me for interviewing and potential clients. I asked them in the initial e-mail in order to learn more about the family and what they are looking for in a DC. Figured it would be a good way to ascertain if they would be a good fit before wasting my time with an interview....**

Here was the response:

Thank you for your interest, but I am not a criminal and do not feel comfortable with being interrogated. Good luck with -that-. " - Have your children been in daycare before? If so, why are you looking for a different daycare?

I don't think I was out of line asking those questions, especially the first one as I really like to know if the children have ever been in a DC environment before and it is helpful to know why the parent is changing DCs if they have been in DC. Could be as simple as she wasn't happy with the care they provided to they didn't have an opening for the pre-Ker now that school is out.

Do you think I was out of line???

I really would like to respond back to her but not sure what to say!

Just SHOCKED!

sharlan 09:35 AM 05-30-2012
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!

I think you dodged a bullet with that one.
CheekyChick 09:37 AM 05-30-2012
Maybe you could ask (initially) if they have ever been in a daycare setting and leave it at that upon your first interaction.

When you meet them in person and build a repoire, you can ask more details about why they left their other daycare.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Do you think I was out of line???

I really would like to respond back to her but not sure what to say!

Just SHOCKED! [/color]
I would respond back and say, "Thanks for helping me see the light. Glad I dodged a bullet here and good luck in your search for child care!"

Sounds to me like she just might have something to hide if simple questions like that set her off......

I'd be doing the Happy Dance that you did'nt waste any more time on this family.
Breezy 09:42 AM 05-30-2012
Yes I could probably have left it at that but I guess my thoughts are if they were for example looking for someone that charges per day and not while child is not there then I wouldnt be the right fit. Or if they were looking for someone that does field trips, etc. KWIM? I figured that one question could help figure out if I even wanted to meet with them since interviewing is so time consuming. I guess that question did answer that in a roundabout way for me though.... Definitely dont want to deal with her drama!!! Wow!
MrsB 09:44 AM 05-30-2012
I ask this same question, usually during the initial phone interview. In my experience the ones that have felt attacked or dont understand why I would ask the question are usually the families to stear clear from. Remember the reason for the open ended questions isnt necessarily the right answer but to help you see the red flags or the wrong answer. I think you found your RED flag in her response. LOL!
SunshineMama 09:45 AM 05-30-2012
That lady is the exact reason why you ask those questions! she obviously has something to hide!
Breezy 09:49 AM 05-30-2012
My husband said "Well, now you know why she is looking for Childcare!" Hehehe..jeez.

Glad I dodged that bullet and didnt waste my time interviewing her to find out how she is.
countrymom 10:34 AM 05-30-2012
I find the minute I tell them that I have a contract that needs to be signed, thats the last I hear from people. And also, when I ask them for the hours they need and they keep asking me what my hours are, then I know they want to dump their children at my house all day, big red flag.
youretooloud 12:12 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
That lady is the exact reason why you ask those questions! she obviously has something to hide!

LOL. Exactly.

Write her back and say "so...your last daycare situation ended badly?"
Meyou 01:23 PM 05-30-2012
I ask almost the same questions in my first email as well.

Me thinks she has something to hide, matey's!
AfterSchoolMom 02:05 PM 05-30-2012
I'd probably write back and say "Wow, I bet you're a treat on a job interview".
MarinaVanessa 04:09 PM 05-30-2012
My husband said "Well, now you know why she is looking for Childcare!" Hehehe..jeez.
I was just thinking that my response would be very similar to your husbands
"Now I know why you're looking for childcare. Good luck with that"
Ann B. 06:26 PM 05-30-2012
I thought those were excellent questions to ask! Yeah, I agree you definitely dodged a bullet with that one!
wdmmom 07:57 PM 05-30-2012
There's a darn good reason why she is looking for daycare and obviously the reason has to do with HER!!!

I agree with the previous posters when they say you dodged a bullet! I think you dodged a whole lot more than that.

If that is how they respond to an email, I can't even imagine the peach they are in person!

Sounds to me like they got their feelers out for new daycare for one reason or another. My guess would be this woman is too much of a rag to work for!
Mom&Provider 08:40 AM 05-31-2012
I'm the odd man out here, but maybe it's the way it's worded? To me if someone asked me those questions BEFORE I even met the person, I'd be a little taken back also!

Can you leave those questions till the interview? I wouldn't be offended if they were asked in direct conversation where the questions were already back and forth between us, but that's just me!
Breezy 08:50 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I'm the odd man out here, but maybe it's the way it's worded? To me if someone asked me those questions BEFORE I even met the person, I'd be a little taken back also!

Can you leave those questions till the interview? I wouldn't be offended if they were asked in direct conversation where the questions were already back and forth between us, but that's just me!
I ask them before the interview so as to not waste my time or their time. If they are looking for something I dont do, why interview them? I take so much time preping for an interview that for them to come and say "my last daycare made me pay even when kids didnt come, thats why Im looking for other care" the interview would be over right there because I do charge that way too. KWIM?

And if I hadnt asked the question, I would have not known this woman was the way she is in this case. I ask that question every time and never have I gotten that response. Usually its, "Oh they are moving so we need new dc".
SunshineMama 08:53 AM 05-31-2012

I dunno. I don't think the question, "What qualities are you looking for in a childcare provider" warrents the response the mom gave. I don't think any of the questions were offensive, other than the question: "If so, why are you looking for a different daycare." And IMHO, the only person that would offend is someone who has something to hide.

Also, you definitely do not want to do business with someone who would respond in an e-mail that way, that's just scary
Crazy8 08:58 AM 05-31-2012

I agree with you. In first reading I thought the wording sounded off. YOU were answering her ad, not the other way around. I would have waited to ask those questions, just let her reply to your FIRST email seeing if she was even interested in your daycare and then even asking them in a 2nd email wouldn't have sounded as strange as that does to me. JMHO, take it for what its worth.
Mom&Provider 09:06 AM 05-31-2012
I ask them before the interview so as to not waste my time or their time. If they are looking for something I dont do, why interview them? I take so much time preping for an interview that for them to come and say "my last daycare made me pay even when kids didnt come, thats why Im looking for other care" the interview would be over right there because I do charge that way too. KWIM?

And if I hadnt asked the question, I would have not known this woman was the way she is in this case. I ask that question every time and never have I gotten that response. Usually its, "Oh they are moving so we need new dc".

Makes sense! I guess I haven't had too many interviews yet or bad clients to feel I need to 'clear the air' before they come! I've also only been interviewing spots for 12 month olds (I'm in Canada, mat. leave is 1 yr.), so I know they haven't been anywhere else yet anyway!
Happy Hearts 09:22 AM 05-31-2012
I would probably want to meet you first before answering a whole lot of questions like that; but I certainly would never be rude and feel like I was being 'attacked' should I be asked them. I want to know the facts about the daycare first: business hours, rates, qualifications of provider, play area, play schedule, meals, etc.

I don't think that someone asking your hours is a red flag so they can dump their kids on you. I would ask that simply to see if the daycare fits my working hours. I wouldn't want to proceed wasting my time either with an interview just to find out the hours don't work for me.

I would, however, answer anything you wanted after I felt your daycare fit my needs.
countrymom 09:45 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I agree with you. In first reading I thought the wording sounded off. YOU were answering her ad, not the other way around. I would have waited to ask those questions, just let her reply to your FIRST email seeing if she was even interested in your daycare and then even asking them in a 2nd email wouldn't have sounded as strange as that does to me. JMHO, take it for what its worth.
I agree with you ladies. I think you asking her those questions were very rude. Why would you ask her why she is leaving her childcare right away, this is a question that should be asked in person when you met with her. Your next question, about ratios, if your advertising a homedaycare, then why are you asking her about centers, thats confusing. Your third question about the qualities in a caregiver, this one is hard to anwer over email because the tone written is never the same as the tone in person.
Why didn't you ask her for the hours she needs, the days, the amount you charge. Then go from there.
countrymom 09:46 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
I would probably want to meet you first before answering a whole lot of questions like that; but I certainly would never be rude and feel like I was being 'attacked' should I be asked them. I want to know the facts about the daycare first: business hours, rates, qualifications of provider, play area, play schedule, meals, etc.

I don't think that someone asking your hours is a red flag so they can dump their kids on you. I would ask that simply to see if the daycare fits my working hours. I wouldn't want to proceed wasting my time either with an interview just to find out the hours don't work for me.

I would, however, answer anything you wanted after I felt your daycare fit my needs.
yes, this too.
My3cents 09:55 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:

I feel sort of the same way here.....

I would want to know those things too...the facts. I don't think someone asking the hours is a red flag either. Esp if you go on contracted hours. My question would be what hours do you need care for?

I don't like the question of...... Why did you leave your last daycare? Yes it could be a red flag. Really is it my business to know that? Shouldn't I start everyone off on the right positive foot. People make mistakes and don't mesh, we also learn as we have experiences. I do like the question of.......Has your child been in daycare before? This helps me to know how the child will relate to his or her new surroundings.

There was another post I wanted to respond to but never got around to being able too, about Verbal or written communications- (this post made me think of it)

For me I prefer Verbal, but for many a written note is also needed. If I am going to have a conversation, I prefer to do it in Verbal. Text has it's place, but I like it for quick notes to me. I am running late. So and so will not be in today. Can I drop off a few minutes early on such and such a day. Little answers. Texting is wonderful for that. I don't get stuck involved in a what could have been a quick phone call and ends up in a long phone call while I am busy trying to take care of my little crew. I have some friends that have the gift of gab and don't understand I am working- Now for little Joe who went to the DR. and needs to have this med and this course of treatment, and how he is doing, etc.... call me lets talk. Then I will ask bring in the written documentation I need for my records. Simple questions in an email- great. Long details- lets talk.

I agree being Rude serves no purpose. As much as I find the sarcastic comebacks and comments funny. I would not talk that way to my parents- even the worst of them. I can think a lot of things in my head but to actually say them to someone is another story---
Breezy 10:07 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I agree with you ladies. I think you asking her those questions were very rude. Why would you ask her why she is leaving her childcare right away, this is a question that should be asked in person when you met with her. Your next question, about ratios, if your advertising a homedaycare, then why are you asking her about centers, thats confusing. Your third question about the qualities in a caregiver, this one is hard to anwer over email because the tone written is never the same as the tone in person.
Why didn't you ask her for the hours she needs, the days, the amount you charge. Then go from there.
I already knew all those things because of what was written in her ad. Which is another reason for the question. Maybe the previous provider wouldnt accomodate her hours. I dont think I was rude at all. Nor have any of the other people that I have asked the questions.

As for the other questions, if she is looking for an enviornment where there are lots of kids for interaction thats not here. She needed immediate care. The other normal quesions wereanswered in her original ad no need to revisit that. As were the rates she was willing to pay.
Breezy 10:09 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I feel sort of the same way here.....

I would want to know those things too...the facts. I don't think someone asking the hours is a red flag either. Esp if you go on contracted hours. My question would be what hours do you need care for?

I don't like the question of...... Why did you leave your last daycare? Yes it could be a red flag. Really is it my business to know that? Shouldn't I start everyone off on the right positive foot. People make mistakes and don't mesh, we also learn as we have experiences. I do like the question of.......Has your child been in daycare before? This helps me to know how the child will relate to his or her new surroundings.

There was another post I wanted to respond to but never got around to being able too, about Verbal or written communications- (this post made me think of it)

For me I prefer Verbal, but for many a written note is also needed. If I am going to have a conversation, I prefer to do it in Verbal. Text has it's place, but I like it for quick notes to me. I am running late. So and so will not be in today. Can I drop off a few minutes early on such and such a day. Little answers. Texting is wonderful for that. I don't get stuck involved in a what could have been a quick phone call and ends up in a long phone call while I am busy trying to take care of my little crew. I have some friends that have the gift of gab and don't understand I am working- Now for little Joe who went to the DR. and needs to have this med and this course of treatment, and how he is doing, etc.... call me lets talk. Then I will ask bring in the written documentation I need for my records. Simple questions in an email- great. Long details- lets talk.

I agree being Rude serves no purpose. As much as I find the sarcastic comebacks and comments funny. I would not talk that way to my parents- even the worst of them. I can think a lot of things in my head but to actually say them to someone is another story---
Yes it is my business. It helps me to know a lot about the parents. I have had tons of bad experiences with the people in this part of town.
Crazy8 12:08 PM 05-31-2012
I already knew all those things because of what was written in her ad. Which is another reason for the question. Maybe the previous provider wouldnt accomodate her hours. I dont think I was rude at all. Nor have any of the other people that I have asked the questions.

As for the other questions, if she is looking for an enviornment where there are lots of kids for interaction thats not here. She needed immediate care. The other normal quesions wereanswered in her original ad no need to revisit that. As were the rates she was willing to pay.
I wouldn't say you were being rude, but the thing was SHE did not come to you looking for care before you asked those questions. YOU went to her saying you provide daycare. Just that little thing makes a difference to me. I just think you should have waited for "the next step" before asking leading questions like that. I could see asking about the hours she needed, etc. if they weren't in her original ad but you jumped right to the interview questions. I think in written form when she wasn't seeking you out initially those questions may come across as rude/harsh.
Breezy 12:28 PM 05-31-2012
Well, I will keep it in mind for next time. I usually don't contact people for child care so this is the first time I have ever asked the questions to someone I have e-mailed.

I still think her answer was uncalled for!!
EntropyControlSpecialist 07:24 PM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I wouldn't say you were being rude, but the thing was SHE did not come to you looking for care before you asked those questions. YOU went to her saying you provide daycare. Just that little thing makes a difference to me. I just think you should have waited for "the next step" before asking leading questions like that. I could see asking about the hours she needed, etc. if they weren't in her original ad but you jumped right to the interview questions. I think in written form when she wasn't seeking you out initially those questions may come across as rude/harsh.
I wouldn't have considered that, but I think you're on to something.
Good things to think about for future interactions.

Crazy response, though, on her part!
Abigail 06:11 PM 06-01-2012
If you're unfamiliar with why provider's ask questions of the parents they might not understand they are getting interviewed so down the road they'll understand. I personally don't ask all those questions in my first email. I think it's best to spread it out over 2-3 emails which should all occur overnight or within 1-2 days.

I read the questions and the wording was a little different than what I would prefer to read myself. I normally open questions with "Has your child ever attended daycare before? If so, how was that experience for you?" That is what I limit my first emails to because parents write back and are interested that I'm interested in them and they also return with details and questions of me to add a second email easily.

I also like to end my emails with a nice short mention of something weather related or current that anyone could relate too like "Enjoy this warm weather!" or even simply "Have a nice weekend!" LOL It's just polite.
Unregistered 12:03 AM 12-02-2012
If you are interested in meeting with me, I have a few questions for you:
- Have your children been in daycare before? If so, why are you looking for a different daycare?
-What are the qualities you are looking for in a child care provider?
-What are you looking for in regards to enviornment? (Large group=social skills; Small group=one on one care)
Here was the response:
Thank you for your interest, but I am not a criminal and do not feel comfortable with being interrogated. Good luck with -that-. " - Have your children been in daycare before? If so, why are you looking for a different daycare?"
Like some of the others, I too can kinda see how the mom could have been offended by these questions. I don't think that it was so much as rude as it was... a bit overwelming. Like she said she doesn't feel "comfortable with being interrogated" some of those questions can come off as kinda harsh and even desperate on paper (or E-mail in this case). Like some of the others I also thought that she was sending the 1st part to you and I was thinking "man that's weird and kinda rude to ask someone who has an ad for open daycare spots those questions, its like she is fishing for daycare advice from you" it didn't sound quite as bad when I realized that it was the other way around but it was still sounded a little off. The fact that you asked it in writing on the internet without her getting a chance to respond to you first kinda feels impersonal and can make them feel bombarded and pressured to answer these which can make them feel vulnerable. Putting all of these questions bunched up like that in writting can look overwhelming and cause you to put your defenses up.

Since you were answering HER ad instead of her answering YOUR add I think slow and steady wins the race just ask her if she can talk on the phone or give her your number. Saying "If you are interested in meeting with me, I have a few questions for you" kind of does seem a little off-putting and wouldn't make me interested either. I think those questions and your family history can wait until you are better aquanted and seem like you are more interested in if their family would fit in with your program than if your program fit the family (even if it is true to some point you have to make them feel like they know they would like your program). Some people may like the fact the you seem open to giving your information out like that but some can be like "O my gosh she is talking about her family but isn't asking me about my family" (though I understand that she posted an ad and probably put her information in the ad). Also a little mystery is a good thing, grabs attention and makes them want to know more about you. You have to remember that not only are you interviewing her but SHE is interveiwing YOU as well, and SHE has to make the final decission!

They may be things to ask on the phone or at an interview because they sound better in person or spoken with some spacing in between the questionings and it allows them to give you the answers and if you phrase them right you may not have to ask some questions because they will fill comfortable giving you more information. such as:
U: "So, tell me about your Family."
PDCP: "My name is Linda, I am a dental assistant and my hubby Bob is a nurse; we have 2 children: Bobby is 1 and Suzy is 5. Bobby is a very happy baby and Suzy is in kindergaten and she loves to dance, sing, and read."
U: "Have Bobby and Suzy been in a daycare center or family child care before?"
PDCP: "Yes, we were at a center for about 4 months after I went back to work, but just left our center because we didn't like their program, so we decided to try family child care"
U: "Just out of curiosity, what about their program didn't you like?" let them answer "Thank you for letting me know that, I will keep that in mind. Was their anything about their program that you did like?" let them answer "Do you prefer bigger play groups or smaller play groups for your children?"

It's all about the phrasing and spacing; which is better left said rather than written. When it comes to parents you need to be diplamatic so they are less likely to take advantage of you and know that you are serious about what you do. Honestly some families just want child care and aren't interested in your family or personal life, but many will probably show more interest after they get to know you. Some personal things should be more about just answering what they ask and asking them about themselves so that they feel you are genuinly interested in having the family in your program. You have too keep a professional image to survive in this business because word of mouth can make or break your business!
Unregistered 12:25 AM 12-02-2012
I already knew all those things because of what was written in her ad.
As for the other questions, if she is looking for an enviornment where there are lots of kids for interaction thats not here. She needed immediate care. The other normal quesions were answered in her original ad no need to revisit that. As were the rates she was willing to pay.
In this field you have to make them feel special, even if it's in the ad just rephrase some things you already know like "I also have a one year old and I know he would be a great playmate and friend for your one year old" so that way you two already have something in common. Many parents like it if there are kids close to their children's age in a program. And open ended questions mean when they can give you more information than just yes or no (which are the type of questions you should also be used to asking children).

Don't be offended by any of the comments, I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad they just are trying to give you advice. So just take the comments as constructive critisism to help you improve your business. Some times, you just have to step out of the provider's POV and think of how things would sound from the Parents POV. A great way to see how something would come off wrong is asking it in different tones in front of the mirror, if it is something that can come off in a nasty or uppity tone, unless it is a genaric question like "how many children do you have" just hold off on it until you can ask it the way you want it to sound.
Kimberli 09:49 AM 12-02-2012
With a defensive response like that, can you imagine trying to work with them everyday in regards to their children? YIKES!!!

Whew! ... Next!
julie 12:57 PM 12-02-2012
IMO, none of those questions are rude to ask a prospective parent, if they have nothing to hide. I take a lot of time out of my day to answer email inquiries. Lots of parents don't take the time to read my website and then send me questions that could easily be answered by READING MY WEBSITE. I answer them. If they are important to the parent in making a decision, then I have nothing to hide by answering honestly.

However, most parents don't come with websites that advertise how they treated their last care provider or if their kid has special needs, etc. Why is it so bad for me to ask a few questions before I run around during the day making the house extra clean and take time away from my family after hours to have an interview with people that have not given me enough information to determine if this is a care relationship that I would be willing to invest in in the first place? I think it's fair to know what type of care they are looking for, what they are expecting and what their previous care experience was like. Anyone that can't give me a straight answer on any of the above is NOT A FIT for my daycare.
AnneCordelia 03:58 PM 12-02-2012
Regardless of if your questions were appropriate, her response was incredibly rude and yu did dodge a bullet.

This a reason why I don't answer ads from people looking for care but wait for people to come to me through MY ad. Imo those parents who set up an ad looking for care are alpha parents and used to being in charge. I don't typically care for children of parents like this because they want to be in charge of my business. Having to respond to an ad puts me in a passive position and that's not how I prefer to start a business relationship.
Mom&Provider 05:06 PM 12-02-2012
I don't usually ask too many questions up front, especially in an email since it can be taken the wrong way and I think that's what has happened here too!
jen2651 10:51 AM 12-03-2012
I think you got lucky here... I honestly don't think it matters if you should have asked it that way or not or who contacted who first. In no way were your questions rude - maybe too much too fast, or perhaps too personal too early, BUT, in no way shape or form should an adult whom we assume works, answer an email like that. She should know this is a really small world. Eventually, her 'abruptness' will come back to haunt her!
Mommy2One 11:09 AM 12-03-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
This a reason why I don't answer ads from people looking for care but wait for people to come to me through MY ad. Imo those parents who set up an ad looking for care are alpha parents and used to being in charge. I don't typically care for children of parents like this because they want to be in charge of my business. Having to respond to an ad puts me in a passive position and that's not how I prefer to start a business relationship.
I've put out ads on Craigslist when we were in the market for childcare and I'm almost detrimentally UN-alpha. I put up an ad, not to control the relationship, but to find one. I was having a very hard time finding care and I was hoping that there was a provider whose ad I'd missed or a SAHM interested in providing childcare who, for whatever reason, wasn't advertising themselves yet. Maybe they'd gotten bad responses from ads, maybe they were on another website (Care.com, SitterCity, etc.), maybe they didn't have an opening yet but would soon, or maybe they were only looking to care for 1-2 part time children, etc. It felt almost like a job search and I figured the more I put out there, the better my chances were of finding a great match.
kitykids3 07:21 PM 12-03-2012
Since I was answering her ad, I personally would not have asked the question of why she is changing situations, although I would have asked during interview time. Either way, still no reason to respond like that. Like pp said, I can see why she is looking for childcare and good thing you got to see her 'true colors' before too late.
Tags:potential client, red flag
Reply Up