Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Fed Up With These Types Of Parents
Candy 07:22 PM 01-09-2014
These parents with preschoolers walking around with a paci or bottle. Omg i saw a 7 year old with a bottle walking around. Her teeth were so rotten. I dont understand what they think a child is getting for this. Its not cute a at all.
daycare 07:26 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Candy:
These parents with preschoolers walking around with a paci or bottle. Omg i saw a 7 year old with a bottle walking around. Her teeth were so rotten. I dont understand what they think a child is getting for this. Its not cute a at all.
It's the act of not hearing your child.

That is horrific. I thought seeing my 4.6 year old dcb with the paci was bad.

Wow!!
TaylorTots 07:30 PM 01-09-2014
I hear you. Dcps interviewed tonight for after school spot for their 5yo boy. 2.5yo sister had binkie in mouth entire time. Ugh. It makes it so hard to communicate with the kids too
TheGoodLife 07:55 PM 01-09-2014
If they walk, they don't need a pacifier. But today's parents just want to give in to every whim to make their kid happy, and look what our society looks like now (it is called a "pacifier" for a reason- teach your child to learn to live without being "pacified" every second!!!)

Ugh, a HUGE pet peeve if you can't tell
Annalee 08:07 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Candy:
I have a 2 yr old dcg that still is nursing at night and the 4 yr old sibling always crawls under his mom's shirt when she picks him up in the afternoon. I wonder if he is doing the same thing.
blandino 08:09 PM 01-09-2014
I have a (almost) 4 year old whose parents still get up with him at night, and mom said they are thinking about letting him cry it out (at 4 ?!?). And still has a paci. Mom talks about the paci and "really wanting to get rid of it forever". Throw them in the trash. Then they are gone. It's actually quite simple.
Candy 08:22 PM 01-09-2014
I wonder do they know how many germs those things carry around. Whats weird is I know those kids are chewing through those things do parents not care. What if they swallow those rubber nipples?
Scout 04:19 AM 01-10-2014
When my now 3 1/2 yo dcg had one she would chew it so bad that it would crack. I didn't even ask, I just threw them out since they were dangerous. My dck's are not allowed to walk arpund with them though except if they are here early morning( before 7). And I only retrieve them 2x of thrown out of bed! Ds is 2 1/2 and is a finger sucker but, Thank Goodness he only does it right before falling alseep and not every time too. I just try to make sure his hands are washed before bed.
MotherNature 06:23 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I have a 2 yr old dcg that still is nursing at night and the 4 yr old sibling always crawls under his mom's shirt when she picks him up in the afternoon. I wonder if he is doing the same thing.
Extended nursing, or rather, full-term nursing only seems odd in some countries, like America. The worldwide weaning average is 4. They're called milk teeth for a reason. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 4 year old nursing, and especially not a 2 year old. They gain so much comfort from the act of cuddling into their mom's arms and nursing. Breastmilk continues helps protect against diseases as well. My son will be 3 next week, and still nurses often. I'm so glad we have this act to comfort him, calm him, help him wind down, and just promote closeness.
Annalee 06:33 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Extended nursing, or rather, full-term nursing only seems odd in some countries, like America. The worldwide weaning average is 4. They're called milk teeth for a reason. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 4 year old nursing, and especially not a 2 year old. They gain so much comfort from the act of cuddling into their mom's arms and nursing. Breastmilk continues helps protect against diseases as well. My son will be 3 next week, and still nurses often. I'm so glad we have this act to comfort him, calm him, help him wind down, and just promote closeness.
To each his own, I guess. But I think the situation I have is a "mom" problem..... she says she isn't going to let her kids grow up, she says she wants babies forever...
julie 06:54 AM 01-10-2014
I had one mom try to make it my problem.

"I really need to wean 4 YEAR OLD DCB off his soobaloo (that's what she called a pacifier), so can you work on it here with me. I'm tired of driving to the store at midnight when we can't find it."

Me: *blinkblinkblink* DCB is FOUR. I haven't given him a pacifier since he started at 2 years old.

DCM: Well, he still asks to bring it to daycare everyday.

Me: Does he use it on the way over and on the way home?

DCM: ...Uh, yes...

Me: Well, that's why. He knows better than to ask for it here. Okay, I will help you. Tell him that no, you are not bringing it to daycare and he is not getting it at night. Throw them all out. And then he will be done making a fuss after 1-2 nights without it. Do not buy anymore. Done. Solved.

Like, seriously?
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 01-10-2014
I have several parents who have chosen to continue giving their child breastmilk. One of the DCK's is 5.

None of these parents nurse though. All the kids were weaned from nursing by age 1 or 2. The mom's just pump and put the milk in a sippy or a cup.
nannyde 07:03 AM 01-10-2014
I'm all for extended breast feeding. Keep bringing it on over to my house. It saves me from having to buy organic milk.

I don't care how the kid gets it. On tap or off. Once they are one they will take it cold so all I have to do is pour.

I'm ALL for it.

Just no bare breasted breast feeding your kid at my kitchen table in front of my thirteen year old son. ;-)
mia 07:10 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
more then likely I had a 4 1/2 year DCB old still nursing a few years back.... I now have a DCB just turned two and does not talk he just points and grunts / screams / cries and wines if he does not get what he wants.... Mom is taking him to speech soon for the first time.... but yet he still coming in with his soother in his mouth...

I take it out for I have told her he does not get it here any more and has been with out for a very long time.... he does just fine with out it.... the only issue I am having with him is the non-talking ( he fully understands everything, he just does not want to talk ).....
melilley 07:13 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by mia:
more then likely I had a 4 1/2 year DCB old still nursing a few years back.... I now have a DCB just turned two and does not talk he just points and grunts / screams / cries and wines if he does not get what he wants.... Mom is taking him to speech soon for the first time.... but yet he still coming in with his soother in his mouth...

I take it out for I have told her he does not get it here any more and has been with out for a very long time.... he does just fine with out it.... the only issue I am having with him is the non-talking ( he fully understands everything, he just does not want to talk ).....
I have an almost 2.5 year old who only says a handful of words and really does try others, but I can't understand him. He understands everything though. At his 2 yr. appt., his ped said to give it 6 more months, then intervene if necessary. It's weird how different peds say different things.
Sorry a little off subject. He doesn't have a pacifier though, well sometimes at nap.
AfterSchoolMom 03:24 PM 01-11-2014
I have a friend who's 3.5 year old still uses a paci. It has really affected his speech - he speaks in full sentences that sound like complete gibberish. She doesn't seem to notice nor care. She also gets REALLY mad when people point out that he's too old to have one. I forsee huge problems when he starts school and no one can understand him...

edited to add: when I say "uses", I mean that 90 percent of the day is spent with it in his mouth.
kathiemarie 04:50 PM 01-11-2014
My daughter, who is 15, used a paci until she was 6. After she turned 3 it could only be used in her room. I was a thumb sucker (I didn't start until AFTER my parents took the paci away @ 4) I was not going to have that happen. Talk about a habit that is hard to break! She is a well adjusted teenager with good teeth and a great immune system.
Annalee 06:06 PM 01-11-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
My daughter, who is 15, used a paci until she was 6. After she turned 3 it could only be used in her room. I was a thumb sucker (I didn't start until AFTER my parents took the paci away @ 4) I was not going to have that happen. Talk about a habit that is hard to break! She is a well adjusted teenager with good teeth and a great immune system.
My nephew sucked and is still struggling at age 11 with sucking his thumb.....his parents have spent close to $6000 at the orthodontist from this problem. So for everyone it works for, there are those it doesn't. His immune system is week as well.....battles mono at least once a year. His thumb has set up infection also....doesn't look right either, very small in size compared to his other fingers. Just some thoughts I had from watching this family suffer financially, as well as emotionally with worry from the added deficiencies in this child.
Candy 08:19 PM 01-11-2014
I do know some one who's 3 year old only says hi, bye, and no and she has to be in the room for him to say. Crazy thing is she doesnt notice it or she is ignoring it. When you tell her he dosent talk all she does is yes he does. 3 words is not talking imop
Reply Up