Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2nd grade, why am I so nervous
daycare 03:25 PM 10-01-2015
So some of you may have saw my thread about the issues that I was having with my sons second grade teacher.

well after a few talks, she has asked me to come in every monday and friday for an hour each day to help out.

I am excited to do so, but at the same time all of a sudden super nervous. I really don't know how to work with School age kids in a classroom. I have coached youth spots, but that is way way different in my opinion.

I have been asked to read to the class and asst the teacher.

OMG I need help. I am the perfect person for preschool kids. I read i cookie monster voices and act like a farm animal most mornings in preschool time. the kids always giggle and laugh their heads off.

I am sure I won't be doing that in the second grade and for my sons sanity I don't want to embarrass him.

HELP any ideas would be great.
sharlan 06:39 PM 10-01-2015
How do you read with your son at home? Do the same at school.
daycare 06:49 PM 10-01-2015
sorry I guess what I am nervous about is that I really don't have any good behavior management skills when it comes to kids in that age group.

lets face it, I sing everything that I want the kids to do or not to do in preschool...lol I don't think that will work with 2nd graders.
MyAngels 07:10 PM 10-01-2015
Don't be nervous, you do realize they sense fear don't you? Just kidding .

Having experience with younger kids may not translate perfectly to the older ages at school, but it will certainly help. The teacher will be able to guide you in what she's looking for you to do and the best way to get it done. Most of all, have fun and enjoy the opportunity!
daycare 07:18 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Don't be nervous, you do realize they sense fear don't you? Just kidding .

Having experience with younger kids may not translate perfectly to the older ages at school, but it will certainly help. The teacher will be able to guide you in what she's looking for you to do and the best way to get it done. Most of all, have fun and enjoy the opportunity!
lol....that is my fear, that and dogs...lol

one of the issues is that the teacher herself is having issues with behavior management in her class and the whole reason why she asked me to come in.

i gave her a few ideas during our meeting and she was delighted with joy (her words) with the ideas i suggested. Honestly, I just thought that it was common sense...lol

She is used to teaching 6th grade and she is more of a lion and the kids are not responding well to her. My son in general is having a VERY hard time with her, he's extremely afraid of her. poor guy.
spud912 09:22 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

one of the issues is that the teacher herself is having issues with behavior management in her class and the whole reason why she asked me to come in.

i gave her a few ideas during our meeting and she was delighted with joy (her words) with the ideas i suggested. Honestly, I just thought that it was common sense...lol

She is used to teaching 6th grade and she is more of a lion and the kids are not responding well to her. My son in general is having a VERY hard time with her, he's extremely afraid of her. poor guy.
I think you're nervous now but give it 5 minutes and you will be fine . I recently volunteered at my daughter's school to take the school pictures and believe it or not, I was a little nervous to talk to the kids. I don't know what came over me, but I felt like I didn't know what to say. Within 5 minutes, the children from all grades K-5th were super easy to talk to about everything....the boys loved showing me their "battle wounds" and the girls loved telling me how the boys got in trouble.

And I forgot you telling me about your irrational fear of dogs . I have a problem with that too. I started jogging again a couple of weeks ago and in order to do it, I have to head out in the morning when it's still dark. Well go figure, the first day I go and I see a stray dog in a field I had to run past and I was a nervous wreck the whole time .
MsLisa 07:34 AM 10-02-2015
From my experience living in SA land:
Second graders are a funny group. They are the middle ground before they are the calm and mighty 3rd and up. They will find every button, every loop hole or argue their way any time something is wrong. They think they are big kids but still lack that self control a little (need to be reminded). If you are silly and up on their current trends (aka. Pokemon, Minecraft, Youtube, video games and etc.) they will talk your ear off. Just do not let them slip anything past you cause they will sure try. They love to brag (be the best), love attention and will probably make you like 100000 pieces of art. You can talk to them much more like a young adult but they love when you come down to their silly level.

Hopes this helps!
(Just picture the seagulls from Finding Nemo....that's a 2nd grader)
hope 08:00 AM 10-02-2015
MsLisa is right about them loving attention. I have found that this age group likes to try to be "cool" and are unsure how to do that. Some think being cool means being the bad apple and showing they don't care about authority. Reward those that are trying to be cool in a positive way and ignore the bad apples. Soon enough everyone will want to join in on the fun.
At a firld day last year at DD's school I had a few kids in the group that were too cool for school. They jusr had to break every rule and just had to show that they didn't care that the adults disapproved. I gathered those kids and had them run the errands. I told them that since they thought the games were boring that they could do something else. Then i went about my time with the rest of the kids and had a blast. Soon enough the others asked to join. When they acted up I asked if they wanted to go back to errands.
daycare 08:28 AM 10-02-2015
thanks ladies. this makes me feel better and feel a little armed when i go in.

Luckily I am up on those trends, having my own 2nd grader. My son is a little different than most kids, he prefers to read and watch old sports reels...lol he's a funny kid.

Ill have to tell you how it goes. Feeling al little less nervous. thanks again
midaycare 10:33 AM 10-02-2015
I love second graders! They are fun and funny! They want to talk and most will talk your ear off. If you don't know what something is, just say, "Tell me about it," and they will! In crazy detail.
midaycare 10:38 AM 10-02-2015
I also read with my son's second grade class every week. I take each kid out in the hall and read a book with them. I've been doing this since Young 5's, so most of the kiddos know me, but it's always a good time. After a month or so you will get to know them and you will remember to ask them things, "Hey Janey, how's your Grandma doing?" Or, "Hey Johnny, did you have a fun visit to ____?"

Don't stress about talking to them, they will talk to you!
originalkat 01:16 PM 10-02-2015
Second graders aren't really that old I would adjust a little from how I talk to preschoolers, but overall I think classroom management would not be that different. They are little kids all the same. You will do great!
Laurel 02:27 PM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

Have you considered that since she is used to 6th graders and the second graders are kind of afraid of her that just you being there and acting in a different way might make them feel at ease? You may have fewer behavior issues simply because you have a different style. Actually she may learn something from you. Don't sell yourself short.

What specifically worries you?

I have worked in a preschool and a 1st and 2nd grade classroom and considered myself really good with things like circle time and reading to a group. I worked part time in a 1st grade classroom and the teacher gave me my own reading group. She told me the final goal and let me decide how to teach the group. The first few times I did circle completely by myself at the preschool level though I was really nervous.

I think you will do great. You are used to reading to children so you'll adjust to the older group.

Laurel
daycare 02:35 PM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
I think you're nervous now but give it 5 minutes and you will be fine . I recently volunteered at my daughter's school to take the school pictures and believe it or not, I was a little nervous to talk to the kids. I don't know what came over me, but I felt like I didn't know what to say. Within 5 minutes, the children from all grades K-5th were super easy to talk to about everything....the boys loved showing me their "battle wounds" and the girls loved telling me how the boys got in trouble.

And I forgot you telling me about your irrational fear of dogs . I have a problem with that too. I started jogging again a couple of weeks ago and in order to do it, I have to head out in the morning when it's still dark. Well go figure, the first day I go and I see a stray dog in a field I had to run past and I was a nervous wreck the whole time .
id rather stand in a cage of cobras than be near a dog...lol
in fact dogs are what used to motivate me to run. lol

i would think there would be one near by and I would run as fast as I could. lol
Reply Up