Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice Please! :)
Dsquared 10:17 AM 08-03-2017
I have a family of a baby that I took on in June. She told me up front that they would be moving sometime in July to Singapore. This worked for me because I was in need of a family for the summer because of teachers leaving and not paying during the summer. She signed a contract and knew that I take a paid vacation in August for one week. She informed me about 3 weeks ago that their visas are not ready and that they would most likely be here mid to end of August. I sent out a reminder email two weeks ago about my vacation August 5th and that payment is due on such and such date. She responded asking if she could begin to use me on a as needed basis from that day moving forward. She claimed they got notice about visas that day. I'm guessing it's because she did not want to pay for my vacation. We agreed that she would bring him this week which she paid for and the week of August 21st. She basically said to help out she could pay me in advance for the week of the 21st. She gave a check for this week and week of 21st. I already cashed it. Tomorrow is the last day before we leave for vacation and I come to find out my girls have cavities and we have to get them done Friday, tomorrow. This means I would have to close because it will be a three hour ordeal. This family is the only family that will be here tomorrow and I never ever do this but I told her I may have to close or stay open until noon. I really should have taken the day off because I have too much to get done before we leave. She seemed very annoyed. She said that her husband and her have to work tomorrow yet she has taken so much time off from work even missed tons of days to go out of town and now all the sudden she has to work. I don't know what to do. My husband says since she did not pay for my vacation I should not open at all for her tomorrow easpecially since her child is the only one here. What do you ladies think? I'm constantly doing favors for parents and rarely ever close for appointments or being sick ever! Thanks so much!
amberrose3dg 10:29 AM 08-03-2017
I would close! She got out of paying for your vacation which is in your contract.i wouldn't even feel bad either!
KayB 10:48 AM 08-03-2017
I would close for sure ... without a shadow of doubt! DON'T feel one bit guilty about it either!!
finsup 10:56 AM 08-03-2017
Close. Take it from someone who has put her family last in too many situations. It's never worth it and the families hardly even appreciate it (and i can guess this one that just got out of paying your vacation isn't going to appreciate it). I would just tell them that as a parent sometimes thing come up and this is why it is SO important to have back up before you need it and be done with it. They'll be mad, but your own family comes first.
Mike 04:48 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
Close. Take it from someone who has put her family last in too many situations. It's never worth it and the families hardly even appreciate it (and i can guess this one that just got out of paying your vacation isn't going to appreciate it). I would just tell them that as a parent sometimes thing come up and this is why it is SO important to have back up before you need it and be done with it. They'll be mad, but your own family comes first.
That's the key. Parents who don't have backup need daycare centers, not private home care.
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
This worked for me because I was in need of a family for the summer because of teachers leaving and not paying during the summer. - This needs to stop. No pay, no stay. Period.

We agreed that she would bring him this week which she paid for and the week of August 21st. She gave a check for this week and week of 21st. I already cashed it. - Enforce your policies consistently.

I really should have taken the day off. I don't know what to do. - Close.

My husband says since she did not pay for my vacation I should not open at all for her tomorrow. - Invalid point. You allowed her to not pay. That was a business mistake you won't make, again.

I'm constantly doing favors for parents and rarely ever close for appointments or being sick ever! - Stop that.
Answers in bold. We have all done it, all paid for it. The trick is to learn from it and not allow it, again.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, holding spot policy, no pay no play, teacher - schedule
Reply Up