Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare Rate
williams08 06:09 AM 08-13-2012
Hello My name is Alicia Williams and I have been operating a child care family home for over a year now. I have a contract that the parents have to read over and sign before the child is enrolled. To get to the point, it's in my contract that the parents are responsible for paying their weekly rate even if the child does not attend. I am only licensed for 6 children where I live and I try my best to stay at that number. Would any of you providers give the parent a break on paying their weekly rate if the child does not attend for two weeks because the parent just couldn't afford to pay it?
SilverSabre25 06:19 AM 08-13-2012
I think that's something that's 100% up to you. I have done it recently for a long-term family that had some very legitimate extenuating circumstances and diminished income for a few weeks (both parents are paid hourly and dcm had some serious health complications that had her in the hospital for over a week, and dcd missed a lot of work too). Once both parents were back to work dcb came back to me and they resumed paying and that's all there is to the story.

Some families are likely to start taking off a week here and a week there "because they can't pay" or try and bring dck but not pay you "because I can't afford it" so go with your gut when deciding what to do.
Busy Bees 06:25 AM 08-13-2012
I give one week per year (5 working days) for vacation two weeks notice is required (If I dont get the 2 weeks notice I have the right to fill the spot and they have no spot when they come back ),the rest of the year (51 weeks) they need to pay if the child is in care or not.
texascare 06:27 AM 08-13-2012
no. I did before and I got screwed. I had parents drive up in new cars, have new phones, but say "oh can you hold my check until ***"....I also feel that once they enroll in childcare they should be able to afford it or they shouldn't go with me. I also need to know my income each month or week, so I stay at full time rate period. I get prepaid by two weeks. In the end it is totally up to you.
williams08 06:31 AM 08-13-2012
Thank you so much for the response! This is the second time this has happened, but the first time the child was only gone only a week. This is a single, young parent who does not have a job and attends school full-time. At first the child's father was paying for the child care, but an incident happened and he no longer helps take care of the child, so she has went and applied for child support.

I have compassion for people especially when I have been that single parent trying to raise children on my own, but I don't want this to be an ongoing thing.
williams08 06:48 AM 08-13-2012
In response to Texascare that is what I'm afraid of rite there! Sometimes you can be to easy going and get the bad end of the stick, and I feel that I'm to easy going sometimes. That was money I have count on to pay my bills only to receive the phone call that she will not be attending because she can't pay. Thanks for the response!!
williams08 07:08 AM 08-13-2012
Busy Bees thanks for your input! I may have to add that to my contract!!
Crazy8 07:13 AM 08-13-2012
that is the beauty of having our own business. If we WANT to make accommodations for such issues we can but in no way do you have to. It sounds like you have been thru this a few times and its time to say NO. Call mom back and say if she can't pay this week you will have to replace her and she's forfeited her spot in your child care. Start interviewing and fill with someone more reliable!!
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by williams08:
Hello My name is Alicia Williams and I have been operating a child care family home for over a year now. I have a contract that the parents have to read over and sign before the child is enrolled. To get to the point, it's in my contract that the parents are responsible for paying their weekly rate even if the child does not attend. I am only licensed for 6 children where I live and I try my best to stay at that number. Would any of you providers give the parent a break on paying their weekly rate if the child does not attend for two weeks because the parent just couldn't afford to pay it?
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now
williams08 07:29 AM 08-13-2012
Thank you for motivating me to do just that!! I didn't want to feel like I did the wrong thing by telling her no!!
Reply Up