Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>E-Mail Inquires: How Do You Handle Them?
Logged Out 05:57 PM 10-01-2012
When you place an ad on Craigslist, and someone (a real person, instead of just a scam, finally), e-mails for your rates and wants to know if you can care for their children for these hours, and everything sounds perfect for what you are looking for schedule wise, age wise, have the openings, etc and you e-mail back with the rates and other information they may like to know, but then they don't respond right away, do you just let it go and assume they are no longer interested or what? I placed an ad on Craigslist (a couple months ago) for the first time since opening, but keep renewing it since I haven't gotten any emails from it yet (except scammers). I FINALLY had a dad e-mail me on Friday, and I saw his message late Friday, so e-mailed right then. I haven't heard anything back from him yet, though. I REALLY need to fill these two spots and would love to work with their schedule (7:30 am - 1 pm!). SO, would you write back and see if he has any other questions or if he was still interested, or give him more time to respond? It has only been 3 days, but I really hope they enroll with me. How long does it normally take after you have a parent ask about childcare before they respond again? I'm willing to give them a discount since they have 2 children and because of the short hours, but I didn't mention that in my email. I just quoted my usual rate per child, and now wish I hadn't.
spud912 06:37 PM 10-01-2012
I don't say anything beyond my first response unless there is something really important that I forgot to mention. If you keep emailing, you might come across as desperate.
Crazy8 06:44 PM 10-01-2012
I would not respond again. I'd probably assume they were just fishing for rates - that's all I ever seem to get! Can you tell if its a home or work email address? Being that it was over the weekend that may be reason for the delay - if anything I would wait till later this week and then email saying you are setting up interviews for next week and weren't sure if they were interested.
earlystart 10:05 PM 10-01-2012
Normally I would say don't email back, you just have to see if they respond. But since you did forget an important piece of information which may be important for him to decide, I would send a quick email stating you forgot to mention the discount of $xx for siblings and give your phone number for any questions or to schedule a tour.
lovemykidstoo 04:24 AM 10-02-2012
I might email back with the sibling discount, but that would absolutely be it. If he were interested, he would contact you.
Logged out 06:04 AM 10-02-2012
Thank you for your input! I've never done a Craigslist ad, or given my e-mail out for potential families before, so didn't know if it was curtesy on my part to send a follow up e-mail, or to just let it go like I would a phone call. The dad had sounded really interested in his e-mail, and said I sounded perfect for what his family needed (since I was willing to do part time/half day, I guess. Most daycares around here want only full time, or full day, part time children. Plus I do preschool with the children, also, and they needed the preschool part as well).
canadiancare 06:05 AM 10-02-2012
I have my policies, procedures and rates in an informational form. I always reply to the initial email (I haven't posted on craigslist as our community has a paid daycare listing forum that I prefer). 25$ a year and it matches caregivers with parents by postal code (no endorsement of caregivers just address matching so it is up to parents to do their work).

When I receive an inquiry I email my policies, tell them to read them and if they have any questions or would like to meet then to feel free to get in touch with me and that is it. I don't chase after them as I feel that if I didn't wow them with my information they are probably not a good fit for me.
Tags:email - inquiry, inquiry
Reply Up