Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Ever Used Snow Paint?
DaycareMom 06:39 AM 12-18-2013
I saw something on Pinterest - snow paint. Basically you fill up spray bottles with water and food coloring and "paint" the snow.

Has anyone ever tried this? How was the experience?
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 12-18-2013
Every year.

We've been doing this since the first winter I was open.

The kids LOVE it and it looks really cool!

The only suggestions I have are be careful who you allow to go free with the spray bottles because the food coloring WILL stain clothing and some toys outside. The wood sides of my sandbox are permanently stained.

Don't use yellow...it just looks bad...

Buy really heavy duty spray bottles or the cold winter air will freeze the spray nozzle closed and it won't work. If the bottles are cheap, they will break if dropped.

Basically, it is really a fun activity for the kids old enough to do it. My 3's were just a bit too young to manage this activity without me being really involved.

It IS fun though!
mema 07:30 AM 12-18-2013
We do! I agree with BC, the kids love it! I bought cheap dollar store spray bottles the first year-never again. Also, another love is frozen balloons full of water and food coloring. At the end of the season, my dd stuck them in the freezer and pulled them out during the summer.
jessrlee 07:35 AM 12-18-2013
I do! e use watered down liquid watercolor. I let them use old tye dye ottles so they were easy to hold and squeeze
Sugar Magnolia 07:38 AM 12-18-2013
I have! On sand though.
SquirrellyMama 07:41 AM 12-18-2013
Yes! It is a lot of fun. My son likes to make lots of yellow snow
Luna 07:43 AM 12-18-2013
We do this frequently. We've never done it on sand though, I'll have to keep that in mind.
The kids love it, it looks cool, and it's easy. We save it for days that are warm enough to go without mittens for a few minutes and we use very watered-down tempera paint. One rule - snow only. No walls or toys or vehicles...snow only.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:37 AM 12-18-2013
Yes! This is one of my tricks for helping the kids enjoy outdoor play when the snow is no fun: too slippery to walk on, too deep for their little legs, too cold, been around too long. I've used food coloring, liquid watercolor, and super-watered-down tempera paint; all work well.

Also, with toddlers, when the snow's so deep we play in the shoveled driveway, I stick jars of watered-down paint into the snow along the sides, and we paint the snow with chunky paintbrushes. Turkey basters would work, too.
Leanna 10:00 AM 12-18-2013
Every year! A favorite of everyone - including me!

We use the Colorations brand liquid water color paint diluted with some water. I have used food coloring before but the colors weren't as vibrant.

Some of the younger ones need help with a spray bottle at first but they get the hang of it.

I agree with Blackcat31...DON'T USE YELLOW lol!!

We spray the snow all around the yard, make snowmen and color them, build snow forts & spray them, etc. So fun!

As add-ons/alternatives, I've also spread a layer of snow on several cookie sheets and provided watercolors and brushes and I often fill the sensory table with snow and give spray bottles to color it in there.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I do! e use watered down liquid watercolor. I let them use old tye dye ottles so they were easy to hold and squeeze
my dcks LOVE the squirt bottles. They write their names in the snow, and numbers, draw out roads and boundary lines for games. Such fun! We do it every year.

If it gets super cold, we also love to fill up balloons with colored water and make ice balls to bowl with, or roll around the yard. We just started ours outside today.
SquirrellyMama 02:09 PM 12-18-2013
Here is a picture of snow paint from this afternoon.
Attached: KINDLE_CAMERA_1386086760000.jpg (58.8 KB) 
kathiemarie 02:59 PM 12-18-2013
I want to live where there is snow! This sounds so fun!!
WImom 03:33 PM 12-18-2013
Does the Colorations watercolors stain clothing and toys? I just can't get past that aspect of it. I just know the kids will get their jackets stained. I'd be mad as a parent if that happened to my kid since we aren't talking a $5 shirt, jackets are expensive.
Lorri 05:02 PM 12-18-2013
We have done this when we color our eggs and the kids will dumb the left over color in the snow. It isso pretty
SquirrellyMama 05:11 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
Does the Colorations watercolors stain clothing and toys? I just can't get past that aspect of it. I just know the kids will get their jackets stained. I'd be mad as a parent if that happened to my kid since we aren't talking a $5 shirt, jackets are expensive.
Maybe the parents can send an oversized wind breaker to go over the kids' coats, kind of like a paint shirt. We always have several cheap wind breakers in the closet.

Kelly
Leanna 05:39 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
I haven't has a problem with this. They are marketed as "washable" but some of the darker colors are tricky. I think the key is to make sure they are diluted enough.
Reply Up