Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing for Florence
Ms.Koech 11:34 AM 09-11-2018
Just curious what providers in the carolinas are deciding to do regarding closing for in-climate weather. Im in Raleigh,NC and will be closing tomorrow 9/12.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 09-11-2018
Originally Posted by Ms.Koech:
Just curious what providers in the carolinas are deciding to do regarding closing for in-climate weather. Im in Raleigh,NC and will be closing tomorrow 9/12.
No real advice as I don't live in an area affected but keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers to stay safe.

Personally, I would close and not worry one bit about it.
Everyone in any area of danger (no matter how small) should be focusing on safety as a priority!
KiwiKids 02:46 PM 09-11-2018
I’m in Virginia Beach about 2.5 miles inland and close with the schools. They closed last night “until further notice”... they required staff to come in today so I did end up open today but will be closed tomorrow until next week at the earliest.
Ms.Koech 03:38 PM 09-11-2018
Thanks for sharing! Im from your neck of the woods (newport News). I was so worried about everyone there being beneath sea level. Stay safe!
Ms.Koech 03:42 PM 09-11-2018
Thanks black cat for the prayers! I dont regret closing one bit my family's safety will always come first. of course one parent had an attitude but she will get over it! will keep all posted.
amberrose3dg 04:00 PM 09-11-2018
Thanks black cat for the prayers! I dont regret closing one bit my family's safety will always come first. of course one parent had an attitude but she will get over it! will keep all posted.
An attitude when there is a hurricane. Let me guess she expects you to keep her kids for days if the weather gets real bad cause im sure she will be working.
KiwiKids 04:05 PM 09-11-2018
Thanks for sharing! Im from your neck of the woods (newport News). I was so worried about everyone there being beneath sea level. Stay safe!
Thank you! You too! I grew up here and this is the most concerned I’ve seen people but the latest models look better do us but not for NC and SC. Please be careful!
lblanke 05:20 PM 09-11-2018
If schools are closed, I would think preschools and daycares should be closed as well. You also must close if you have no power or no water. Stay safe.
Ariana 05:37 PM 09-11-2018
I was hearing about this today on the news. Isn’t there an evacuation order? I was wondering what do people do when there is an evacuation order, do businesses and daycares just shut down?

Such a tough situation to be in. My prayers are going out to all of you. I pray it dissipates greatly before it reaches land. Stay safe
Jdy2222 08:26 PM 09-11-2018
I can't speak for Florence, but last year we closed for Irma three days ahead of the storm, I believe the same day schools closed, and couldn't reopen until we had power and other utilities restored. I was closed for two weeks total.
Josiegirl 02:05 AM 09-12-2018
Stay safe everyone!! And even if your dcps grumble, don't worry about it. Safety and health should always come first.

I've read just a little bit online about this, how scary it's going to get, and I cannot believe some people who will more than likely take a direct hit, are still choosing to stay where they are.

I need to call my dd tonight and see what she's expecting. She lives more inland but still right in the line of flooding, power outages, etc.
LysesKids 02:19 AM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Stay safe everyone!! And even if your dcps grumble, don't worry about it. Safety and health should always come first.

I've read just a little bit online about this, how scary it's going to get, and I cannot believe some people who will more than likely take a direct hit, are still choosing to stay where they are.

I need to call my dd tonight and see what she's expecting. She lives more inland but still right in the line of flooding, power outages, etc.
I agree.. if you are told to go - do it; you don't, most times the police will say write your name & SS# on your arm so they can identify later because they won't come in to rescue. Praying for my Navy daughter in GA because I doubt they evacuate; most the rest of my family are under mandatory evacuation & state of emergency
amberrose3dg 02:52 AM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I agree.. if you are told to go - do it; you don't, most times the police will say write your name & SS# on your arm so they can identify later because they won't come in to rescue. Praying for my Navy daughter in GA because I doubt they evacuate; most the rest of my family are under mandatory evacuation & state of emergency
Praying for her too. If an evacuation has been ordered, please leave. I lived in Raleigh in 2011 during hurricane irene. We left a few days and headed up to my in laws in va. There was no real damage to our house but there could of been. I wouldnt let any parent or whoever make you feel bad. This hurricane looks pretty scary. Better be safe than sorry.
Gemma 04:38 AM 09-12-2018
My prayers go out to everyone on the path of the hurricane!
I'm praying that you all be safe, and suffer minimal damage to your property
Meeko 12:23 PM 09-12-2018
Please keep my daughter and her husband in your prayers. They moved to Goldsboro NC a couple months ago. They just got married. Scared Momma Bear here
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Please keep my daughter and her husband in your prayers. They moved to Goldsboro NC a couple months ago. They just got married. Scared Momma Bear here
Oh goodness....praying for their safety!

Have they evacuated at all?
Have you been able to be in contact with them?

As a parent, no matter how old your kids are....this kind of thing sucks!
MarinaVanessa 01:11 PM 09-12-2018
Yikes, can they go and visit you until the storm passes? I hope it's not necessary and that they'll be fine
Gemma 01:16 PM 09-12-2018
Will do!
KiwiKids 02:35 PM 09-12-2018
Praying for them and for you!
Kimskiddos 02:36 PM 09-12-2018
Hugs and prayers! I understand how you feel, my daughter moved to Houston last year, 3 weeks before Harvey hit. What a nightmare that was!
Meeko 05:31 PM 09-12-2018
Her husband is in the Air Force. They live on base housing. They have been told to just hunker down. They have sand bagged all their doors etc and moved as much stuff up high in their house as they can. They are newly weds and don't have much stuff, which may be a blessing in the long run. They have wrapped plastic around their dining table and balanced the couch on top if it etc. Crazy stuff, but trying to keep stuff dry in case they flood.

There is a shelter on base too and they have been told they will be notified if they have to go there. My daughter is terrified.
LysesKids 05:47 PM 09-12-2018
Her husband is in the Air Force. They live on base housing. They have been told to just hunker down. They have sand bagged all their doors etc and moved as much stuff up high in their house as they can. They are newly weds and don't have much stuff, which may be a blessing in the long run. They have wrapped plastic around their dining table and balanced the couch on top if it etc. Crazy stuff, but trying to keep stuff dry in case they flood.

There is a shelter on base too and they have been told they will be notified if they have to go there. My daughter is terrified.
I totally understand and am saying prayers... My youngest DD is stationed in Kings Bay GA; Navy. Haven't heard from her recently
Josiegirl 02:13 AM 09-13-2018
Talked briefly with my dd last night, they live about an hour inland from Raleigh. She said all they were expecting was some rain and maybe some wind. Everybody around her is getting prepared while she says she may fill up some water bottles tonight. She's acting pretty nonchalant about it all. I said yeh, but they're predicting this to be an awful terrible hurricane. She says they say that about all the hurricanes. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. I wonder if a lot of people become desensitized due to the media hype from the past and do less, figuring they'll be okay?

Keeping everyone that will be in the path of this storm, in my thoughts!!
LysesKids 08:37 AM 09-13-2018
Talked briefly with my dd last night, they live about an hour inland from Raleigh. She said all they were expecting was some rain and maybe some wind. Everybody around her is getting prepared while she says she may fill up some water bottles tonight. She's acting pretty nonchalant about it all. I said yeh, but they're predicting this to be an awful terrible hurricane. She says they say that about all the hurricanes. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. I wonder if a lot of people become desensitized due to the media hype from the past and do less, figuring they'll be okay?

Keeping everyone that will be in the path of this storm, in my thoughts!!
Heck I'm just on the other side of the smokey mtns and will be in the hospital for a few days, but even I have 18 heater meals, canned goods, water, flashlights etc stocked at all times. My car is full of gas too
trytobearunner34 11:11 AM 09-13-2018
I’m in the Charlotte area. I am open today and will be open tomorrow. We will see what the weekend brings to make a call for Monday. Stay safe!
Josiegirl 09:40 AM 09-19-2018
Lysyskids, hope you're doing alright? Been thinking about you and wondering how you are?
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 09-19-2018
It looks like Florence caused and is still causing a whole host of problems along its journey. I hope you all have come through without too much upheaval.
LysesKids 01:23 AM 09-20-2018
Lysyskids, hope you're doing alright? Been thinking about you and wondering how you are?
My stint in the hospital (Went in last Friday due to increasing issues) turned into a nightmare & just getting to go home later today; major pain killers... laparoscopic gallbladder removal Monday ended up being changed to old school "cut her open" surgery while I was under because of my liver issues; would have made me close before end of month anyway. Guess what, I have 2 families texting me , "I really don't want to bother you, but can I get a refund this week?". I'm not even at home people & the fees already paid bills beginning of month (I only had 3of 4 spaces filled, and one of them was fairly new)

NoNOand NO. Read the damncontract. It specifically states no refunds of prepaid fees in payment paragraph and in the termination section it states I have the right to close no notice in cases of severe illness or Acts of God. They were all pissed I was closing by end of month to begin with - sorry my health comes first now - learned that the hard way back in FEB. I'll be fine once I heal ..

Now who wants to buy some infant childcare toys, minui handysitts boosters, books etc?
Tags:closings, hurricane, hurricane - florence, school closing, weather closings
Reply Up