Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soy Milk
Oneluckymom 02:05 PM 04-16-2012
I have a 2year old boy that is on soy milk. Although he can eat other dairy products the mom wants him to drink soy milk.

My question is.... He poops 3 or 4 times a day and tends to be gassy. Does soy milk do this?
SunshineMama 02:09 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I have a 2year old boy that is on soy milk. Although he can eat other dairy products the mom wants him to drink soy milk.

My question is.... He poops 3 or 4 times a day and tends to be gassy. Does soy milk do this?
It definitely can.
daycare 02:13 PM 04-16-2012
maybe TMI, but that is why I don't drink it....plus its not as good for you as people think it is...
Oneluckymom 02:17 PM 04-16-2012
I really don't think it is healthy in "place of milk" and I know it has been theorized to cause hormone issues ESP in boys. I can't understand why they want him to drink the soy, just because they "think" he can't tolerate regular milk.

And yes they brought a drs note imaging the soy milk.
Oneluckymom 02:18 PM 04-16-2012
Darn autocorrect.....not imaging I meant "okaying"
daycare 02:19 PM 04-16-2012
Darn autocorrect.....not imaging I meant "okaying"
lol... Well I don't think milk is healthy either...lol Just drink water....lol
cheerfuldom 02:28 PM 04-16-2012
If he has milk sensitivities, any dairy products can cause loose stools or gassiness, so this might be caused by the rest of his diet and not the soy milk.
Ariana 02:42 PM 04-16-2012
Dairy senstivities/allergies often go hand in hand with soy allergies. My DD is allergic to both. They are very closely related. Often DR's will tell people to avoid soy as well if there is a dairy allergy. My DD's reaction to soy produces hives and pin like rash. Dairy causes intestinal issues, phlegm and eczema.

I personally wouldn't feed a growing child any soy. It is known to mimic estrogen in the body which can be bad for little bodies. There is also a link between this and cancer.
Oneluckymom 03:04 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Dairy senstivities/allergies often go hand in hand with soy allergies. My DD is allergic to both. They are very closely related. Often DR's will tell people to avoid soy as well if there is a dairy allergy. My DD's reaction to soy produces hives and pin like rash. Dairy causes intestinal issues, phlegm and eczema.

I personally wouldn't feed a growing child any soy. It is known to mimic estrogen in the body which can be bad for little bodies. There is also a link between this and cancer.
Which is why I was so surprised when a dr thought it was fine for him.
Michael 03:05 PM 04-16-2012
ever tried Rice Milk?
Oneluckymom 04:10 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
ever tried Rice Milk?
Actually Michael this is a daycare boy, but I never thought of asking them if they have. That I would think may be a better option for him.
Ariana 04:45 PM 04-16-2012
My DD drinks fortified organic rice milk. Just make sure to tell them that it needs to be fortified to get the same nutrition as regular cows milk. It's worth a shot to see if his pooping decreases
MrsB 06:29 PM 04-16-2012
What about coconut milk. The doctor said the rice and coconut milks are much better for kids than soy. I love the coconut milk much better than soy. Yuck!
Kelly 06:37 PM 04-16-2012
Almond milk is another good option. My son drinks it because it is lower in carbs than regular milk (he is diabetic.)
Ariana 06:50 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
What about coconut milk. The doctor said the rice and coconut milks are much better for kids than soy. I love the coconut milk much better than soy. Yuck!
Are the coconut milks fortified? I LOVE coconut milk but here in Canada we can't get it fortified ....or at least I've never seen it.

And almond milk is awesome too!
jen2651 06:56 PM 04-16-2012
I have a 14 mth old that is doing exactly the same thing. He has extremely loose stools and it smells sour (sorry...) but he also has a dr.s note. I visited with the mother and suggested she look into other forms of milk but all she has researched is how bad the dairy milk is for him...I feel like she just stopped there!
Michael 07:11 PM 04-16-2012
You can also get Rice Dream. (Rice Ice Cream) Really tastes good.
Solandia 03:55 AM 04-17-2012
My 1yo & 2yo drink soy, rice, or almond.

My 2yo has milk issues/reflux and was on soy formula from a couple weeks old, so when we got past formula the natural progression was to soy milk. We stuck with soy at the time because it has more calories than rice or almond... we didn't want to cut the baby's calories so drastically all at once. Not to mention it was much, much easier to find soy in the store and not hunt to find it, IF they happened to sell it that week or not.

2 years later, our Aldi's carries almond as well as soy, so we alternate almond & soy. The boys only get 'milk' right before bedtime...the rest of the day we drink water only. I doubt the 6oz of soy milk my boys get a day has enough estrogen to be a concern. Even if they drank a quart a day, the very minimal risk is worth the huge benefits of not consuming consuming dairy milk for them.
MrsB 04:54 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Are the coconut milks fortified? I LOVE coconut milk but here in Canada we can't get it fortified ....or at least I've never seen it.

And almond milk is awesome too!
Here the stores started caring the So Delicious and Silk brands of coconut milk and they are both fortified.
Countrygal 05:21 AM 04-17-2012
I was going to suggest coconut or almond milk as well, but also one that is fortified.

My daughter and I are both lactose intolerant, and any dairy at all in the diet will cause gas and diarrhea. This would definitely be the first place I'd look. Often times what happens is the doctor tells you that they can withstand some dairy, but they leave you to determine just how much that is - there is no test to determine this and it is just by personal experience that a mother has to decide how much to limit the dairy. For example, my daughter could eat hard cheese, which has less lactose, but still to this day has trouble with ice cream and milk. A general rule of thumb is the harder the dairy product, the more lactose in it. They now have lactose free yogurt that is NOT soy, which I was thrilled to find in the dairy section!

My advice to mom is to eliminate ALL dairy for two weeks, see if the symptoms go away and then gradually, one item every two days, add back dairy, starting with hard cheese and see how much he can tolerate.

All of the above, of course, ONLY pertains if he is lactose intolerant. It is a simple blood test, and I would highly recommend he get it if he has not already!

But I am not a doctor, so all of this only comes from my personal experience. Just suggestions!

Just a note - I was raised entirely on soy milk from birth, as was my daughter and both of us are "fine". (although some may argue that point!)
LittleD 06:27 AM 04-17-2012
Does he have an intolerance, or she just prefers him to drink soy? It should be a no brainer, but I had a kids who was "lactose intolerant" but his mom said he could have yogurt and cheese. Just confused me cuz, well, isn't that lactose?
itlw8 11:23 AM 04-17-2012
If it is a milk problem make sure they have taken all milk from the diet. cheese, margarine, most processed foods. they have to read labels... and yes he may have a soy allergy as well. Rice milk is a good substitute.

Serve lots of dark green veggies like spinach.
itlw8 11:27 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
Does he have an intolerance, or she just prefers him to drink soy? It should be a no brainer, but I had a kids who was "lactose intolerant" but his mom said he could have yogurt and cheese. Just confused me cuz, well, isn't that lactose?
many lactose intollerant can have cheese such even fluid milk that is lactose free.

Lactose intollerant is different from an allergy. an allergy they can have none usually
GretasLittleFriends 11:59 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
The pediatrician told me my daughter is lactose intolerant. She had issues with GERD (acid reflux) as a baby as well. She will be 2 the end of this month.

She can have most cheeses, but not all. She can have yogurt. She can drink lactose free milk (brands available here are Lactaid and Deans), soy, rice, almond, and goats milk. We have not tried coconut milk, though I suspect she'd be ok with that. She can eat Kraft Mac & Cheese that is made with 1/4c 1% milk per box.

She cannot eat homemade alfredo/white sauce (it uses too much milk), cream of _____ soup, even tomato soup made with milk bothers her. I found out the other day that breakfast pizza is not a good choice for her either. She cannot have regular ice cream, but she can have frozen yogurt, sherbert, and apparently they make lactose free ice cream, though I haven't looked for it.

My understanding is that these different dairy foods are processed/made different ways thus changing the way the lactose reacts with her body. If I am not careful her symptoms can range from stomach ache and her being irritated to disgusting diapers to vomitting within a half hour after she eats something.
SunnyDay 12:14 PM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
My 1yo & 2yo drink soy, rice, or almond.

My 2yo has milk issues/reflux and was on soy formula from a couple weeks old, so when we got past formula the natural progression was to soy milk. We stuck with soy at the time because it has more calories than rice or almond... we didn't want to cut the baby's calories so drastically all at once. Not to mention it was much, much easier to find soy in the store and not hunt to find it, IF they happened to sell it that week or not.

2 years later, our Aldi's carries almond as well as soy, so we alternate almond & soy. The boys only get 'milk' right before bedtime...the rest of the day we drink water only. I doubt the 6oz of soy milk my boys get a day has enough estrogen to be a concern. Even if they drank a quart a day, the very minimal risk is worth the huge benefits of not consuming consuming dairy milk for them.
My 2-year-old drinks soy for the same reason. He is allergic to milk & doesn't eat/drink any dairy products. He is a picky eater and I preferred soy because it has a bit more fat & calories. He does have looser than average stools, but doesn't have problems with gas.

Also thanks for the tip on Aldi, I hadn't thought to look there for almond & soy milk!
Tags:milk, milk - alternatives, milk - soy
Reply Up