Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Responsible for ...
Unregistered 09:55 PM 02-28-2014
I am always checking my local sex offender registry because I have a young teen. To those of you who own a home care business, who is responsible for informing you if a registered offender moves into your neighborhood ? Do the local authorities inform you or do you have to find out on your own? Are they even allowed to live within a certain distance of a child care home ? And, how do you tell parents , or what do you tell them if they bring it up ?
KidGrind 05:11 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am always checking my local sex offender registry because I have a young teen. To those of you who own a home care business, who is responsible for informing you if a registered offender moves into your neighborhood ? Do the local authorities inform you or do you have to find out on your own? Are they even allowed to live within a certain distance of a child care home ? And, how do you tell parents , or what do you tell them if they bring it up ?
No one informs me.

If I was interested, I would have to look it up.

It depends on the guidelines of their release where they can or cannot live. I don’t believe child care homes are taken into consideration. Schools are I believe.

It’s never came up beyond I am not a sex offender nor is any member of my family residing in my home.
Play Care 06:21 AM 03-01-2014
No one, unfortunately. In my state registered sex offenders are not supposed to live within so many feet of a day care, but I think that's in regard to centers.

Though to be honest, I'm less nervous about the ones who are registered then all the ones who haven't been caught
sahm1225 06:26 AM 03-01-2014
I get a letter monthly from the state police with all the registered sex offenders within I believe 10 miles from my home. We live very close to a public school so That helps.
CraftyMom 06:31 AM 03-01-2014
No one informs me.

It doesn't really make a difference. Those are just the registered ones. There are THOUSANDS more out there who are NOT registered. Your neighbor could be a sex offender and you have no idea because he is not registered and not required to be.

You can go online and see a list for your area of the registered offenders.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
No one informs me.

It doesn't really make a difference. Those are just the registered ones. There are THOUSANDS more out there who are NOT registered. Your neighbor could be a sex offender and you have no idea because he is not registered and not required to be.

You can go online and see a list for your area of the registered offenders.

It always amazes me the number of people who get upset or freaked out by the registered offenders but give NO thought to all the ones who haven't been caught or REGISTERED.

Not that being registered means they are 100% safe, but I sure feel a lot better about the ones being monitored verses the ones no one has any idea exist.

fwiw~ my local police department sends all licensed providers a notice any time a sex offender moves into our surrounding neighborhood. The coverage area seems to be within 20 miles so it covers a lot of area.
Mister Sir Husband 08:13 AM 03-01-2014
I had this discussion with a friend on facebook a couple days ago.. and not to panic anyone or make you over think things.. The way I understand it is that to be a registered offender, you have to file your address with the state. SO.. an offender can register his address as 123 main street, notify the post office and get mail delivered here, and then drive across town and live with his cousin Bob. Unless the offender is actually on parole, there isn't too much of a risk that someone is going to stop by the house on a schedule and make sure he is actually there. And if they do, well ok.. "I went to the store, a friends house for dinner, church, etc.. so I wasn't home when you stopped by"

I've even seen cases before where the offender lists an abandoned building as his address and if no one actually checks on it.. well enough said..

Now I could be wrong here and in fact its more monitored than this, but I don't think it is..
Unregistered 08:30 AM 03-01-2014
No one informs anyone here either. You just have to look it up. The truth is, if they're registered, you are actually SAFER. Why? Because first of all, you ain't gonna let your kids/daycare kids go to some neighbor's house anyway, but second, you KNOW who they are. It's the ones NOT registered that put you/your teen/daycare kids at risk. Just be aware to treat ALL strangers (and even some friends) as RSO's, meaning never ever leave your kids/dc kids w/ someone you do not know WELL. And never assume just because you DO know them , that they can't be capable.

Long story short, ANYONE can be capable of ANYTHING. Lesson learned last week when a very dear and long time friend of mine was ARRESTED for attempted MURDER of his spouse and child (allegedly). HE states he didn't do anything, but the truth is, ANYone will say that if they find themselves in hot water. Trust ONLY yourself with your DC kids.
itlw8 01:48 PM 03-01-2014
In MO it is so far rom schools and childcares that includes licensed childcares/ I was called once. Someone was wanting to move into the neighborhood and the probation officer wanted to know exactly where I was . When I told her how many childcares were in a 4 block area she said Hell no that won't work.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 03-01-2014
The reason I was wondering was because one of the people I saw on the website had been charged with crimes against a 3 and 6 year old !!
daycarediva 03:42 PM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
No one, unfortunately. In my state registered sex offenders are not supposed to live within so many feet of a day care, but I think that's in regard to centers.

Though to be honest, I'm less nervous about the ones who are registered then all the ones who haven't been caught
If you call the local pd, they will mail you their info sheets as they register, nys considers home daycares a 'vulnerable entity'.
Michelle 03:54 PM 03-01-2014
bottom line is, never let the kids out of your sight.
if you let them play in the front yard... take them in with you if you have to use the bathroom or get snacks, if you are at a public place, pay close attention to the adults and older teens that get close to your kids, just be aware and go with your gut instincts
it's the ones that haven't been caught that pose the most danger

I personally will not get on an elevator alone with a man..
snbauser 05:43 PM 03-01-2014
We have an online state registry that we are required to register with. Anytime a registered offender moves in or out of my area I get an email.
Starburst 09:56 PM 03-01-2014
That whole "they have to tell their neighbors when they move in" thing is pretty much a myth (at least in my state). They just can't live too close to a school. But it also depends on their "risk" level.

There was an incident where my former boss's next door neighbor was arrested and admitted to raping his 5-year-old granddaughter (she lives in the home, her parents are not part of her life); she also went to the daycare at the time. Since he was a high risk offender, he had to move out mainly because the daycare was next door and because his granddaughter was still in the home. The grandma now takes care of her alone and last I heard they moved (to get a fresh start).

But honestly, in this type of business (where I am home alone with children all day) I would be more afraid of people who have a history of breaking and entering, kidnapping, manslaughter, or assault with a weapon- I'm actually had mini-panic attacks thinking about someone breaking in when I'm babysitting! Chesters/ sexual offenders usually lore their victims (if they don't know them already- which in most cases they do) and try to gain their trust (saw it on Oprah; they usually use a form of conditioning). The criminals above (B&E, nappers, killers, assulters) tend to go after their victims and often target people they don't know.
Tags:guns, protection, safety, sex offender
Reply Up