Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Verbally Following Up?
Play Care 03:19 AM 06-11-2015
Do you verbally follow up to emails when you've have to speak to clients about violating contracts?

I think I should follow up verbally to late mom, but not quite sure what to say.
On one hand, I felt my email was short and to the point. I didn't go into explanations, allow excuses, etc. And sometimes "least said, soonest mended" is true. But other times, you need more. So what do you do?
finsup 06:02 AM 06-11-2015
Depends on the issue and what parent response was. Typically I either address verbally first and follow up in writing so there's a "record" So to speak. But when I email first, I don't typically follow up unless I feel they are unclear on expectations, unsure if they read it (I like the "read" checkmark on fb lol) or if they email back something rude/argumentative etc. If they just read and agreed, great. I won't be in it up again unless it becomes a problem.
Rockgirl 06:09 AM 06-11-2015
Just me, but if she follows through with paying the fee and picks up on time, I'd let it stand as-is. If not, I'd definitely remind her in person.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Do you verbally follow up to emails when you've have to speak to clients about violating contracts?

I think I should follow up verbally to late mom, but not quite sure what to say.
On one hand, I felt my email was short and to the point. I didn't go into explanations, allow excuses, etc. And sometimes "least said, soonest mended" is true. But other times, you need more. So what do you do?
Do you feel like something is left to say or that maybe there is some changing attitudes because of the e-mail? If not, I'd leave it be.

My ONLY concern is her (DCM) potential to be a repeat offender.... do you have a plan in place for that? Something to "motivate" her to NOT repeat? Increased late fees for each occurrence, loss of services etc? Or just happy to collect the current fees each time she is late?

I used to think, "no biggie" it is what it is and I'll just collect late fees but then around the 10 year mark I started realizing it wasn't the extra cash in my pocket but the time I lost that irritated me so when it came down to it I didn't want the money (although sometimes it WAS good! ) what I really wanted was the TIME. I increased my late fees and have a policy of doubling fees for each occurrence until ultimately with repeat behavior the family is terminated.
Play Care 06:57 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you feel like something is left to say or that maybe there is some changing attitudes because of the e-mail? If not, I'd leave it be.

My ONLY concern is her (DCM) potential to be a repeat offender.... do you have a plan in place for that? Something to "motivate" her to NOT repeat? Increased late fees for each occurrence, loss of services etc? Or just happy to collect the current fees each time she is late?

I used to think, "no biggie" it is what it is and I'll just collect late fees but then around the 10 year mark I started realizing it wasn't the extra cash in my pocket but the time I lost that irritated me so when it came down to it I didn't want the money (although sometimes it WAS good! ) what I really wanted was the TIME. I increased my late fees and have a policy of doubling fees for each occurrence until ultimately with repeat behavior the family is terminated.
I'm not really sure. I don't know if she will do it again, I'm hoping she won't. Time is what I want as well, and as I've said none of my other clients is ever late. I just don't know if I should have a "are we clear?" Convo or wait and see.
e.j. 11:47 AM 06-11-2015
I increased my late fees and have a policy of doubling fees for each occurrence until ultimately with repeat behavior the family is terminated.
I like this idea! I may have to borrow it.
e.j. 11:59 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm not really sure. I don't know if she will do it again, I'm hoping she won't. Time is what I want as well, and as I've said none of my other clients is ever late. I just don't know if I should have a "are we clear?" Convo or wait and see.
Usually I remind parents verbally when they break the rules but if I were to send a reminder by email, I think I'd sit tight and see what happens. If the rule is broken again, I'd speak with the parent directly about it.
Laurel 12:13 PM 06-11-2015
I never used email or text. I talked to people in person (sometimes taking a while to get up my nerve but still....). I think it is harder for people to ignore 'in person' comments.

In your situation, I think I'd only speak up after an email if they didn't answer it. I'd want to know if they read it or not. That is one reason I wouldn't use email. I couldn't be sure they actually saw it unless they answered it. There are times when I haven't checked my email in over a week. Not everyone looks at their emails every day.

Laurel
AmyKidsCo 12:37 PM 06-11-2015
I increased my late fees and have a policy of doubling fees for each occurrence until ultimately with repeat behavior the family is terminated.
Do you have that in your policy book? How is it worded? I love this idea! I have the same attitude - the money would be nice but my time is more valuable to me.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Do you have that in your policy book? How is it worded? I love this idea! I have the same attitude - the money would be nice but my time is more valuable to me.
Late Fees:

Fees for pick up after your contracted time are billed at $1 per minute for the first offense. The second offense is billed at $2 per minute. The third offense may result in immediate termination of child care services.

I haven't collected a fee for late pick up in almost 5 years.

.....and only terminated one family for lateness. ever.
Tags:contract - broken, rules, verbal communication, violation
Reply Up