Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With My Child!
spud912 01:26 PM 03-31-2011
So my daughter is just about 2 years old and is a terror! She is the child who you would dread having as a daycare child and would criticize the parenting. However, to my credit, she was literally born as a firecracker. She started throwing temper tantrums as early as 6-8 months old and began hitting and biting at around 8-10 months old (out of frustration). She wants to do things that older children and adults do, but by herself and without help. When it's not perfect, she throws a huge temper tantrum.

Lately, she has been sick with ear infections and is currently on antibiotics, causing diarrhea. At first, we could blame her particularly crabby mood on the illness, but she has been on the antibiotics for 5 days now and we can't really blame the illness (as it is almost gone). I am really hoping that it is from the illness and not a phase she is going through, but she has been so hard to manage lately. It's been so bad that my mom came and took her yesterday. She was better with my mom (maybe a change in environment?), but today it started horrible with non-stop temper tantrums for hours on end! Normally people would recommend ignoring it, but I can't when she is throwing things and hitting the other dc kids and myself. Meal times are horrible because she throws food everywhere and screams.

I don't know what to do with her anymore. I would re-direct her, but then the other children may think it's favoritism because she doesn't get punished when she hit or pinched them. Luckfully, she has not biten any of the dc kids yet, but she did bite me and my dh so I can see that it's only a matter of time! Time outs don't work because she gets out of them repeatedly and laughs at me. Recently, I have just been putting her into her room and locking the door until she cools off. I told my mom that if she were a dck, I would have termed her long ago. She stressed me out so much today that I actually broke down and cried. I feel like she tests me nonstop all day every day!

Please, does anyone have any suggestions?
Tags:biting, hitting, tantrums, terrible 2's
Up