Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Front Load Washer In Daycare Space and Childproofing
Rainbow 10:46 PM 11-08-2014
I have a large daycare room in my house that also has our washer and dryer. We're going to be upgrading soon and changing to a front load washer and dryer. Currently we have a washer/dryer that has knobs on the top and back, way out of reach of my current group. But all of my daycare kids are currently 1 and under, so I know that with the buttons on the front, that they are not going to be able to resist touching them. There is a locking feature on the machines, but I worry that a kid could accidentally unlock it or just push buttons and damage them.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing pedestals for them. Does anyone have an opinion on if that would help childproof them a bit more or if there is some other way to make the buttons less tempting or accessible? The pedestals would raise them about 15".

Otherwise the only reason I can think of that the pedestals are worth it for me, is that it means less bending over while washing laundry. Without the pedestals, it means I have the option to fold laundry on top.
Magic 07:22 AM 11-09-2014
I got a front loader this year ...mine are out of reach of the children
the one draw back of them is if the door is closed alot, a smell comes in it and if cloths are left in for a while they pick up the smell too
mine has a sanitize feature which is great for head lice scares

years ago I had a dryer in reach of children and I got a child lock thing that you can stick on the machine and door ..it worked and you could cover it with a blanket for the buttons .out of sight out of mind ...then at end of day open it wide when the children are gone ...we keep our open with a cloth in the door so it doesnt close all the way
by the way I love mine and great on hydro and great cleaning ...!!
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 11-09-2014
Could you maybe place a bookshelf or one of those room divider screens in front of the washer/dryer during daycare hours.

Sometimes "out of sight/out of mind" really is true.

Plus, you aren't doing laundry during daycare time I assume so the kids would not necessarily be drawn to it if they can't see it.

If that was not possible, I'd also consider throwing a table cloth of large blanket over it when not in use....still out of sight/out of mind.
Leigh 08:36 AM 11-09-2014
Is it possible for you to build a cabinet around the washer and dryer? Frame it with 2 x 4's and drywall it to make it blend in and then put double doors on it with locks or childproof handle covers. If space is an issue, you could stack them before building the cabinet.
NoMoreJuice! 10:28 AM 11-09-2014
Just my two cents, not sure if you're stuck on the front loader, but they stink! Literally, the smell can gag you at times. The water never gets fully pumped out, so if you go a day without using it, the stench is awful.

I traded out ours for a nice HE top loader with an impeller (no big agitator in the middle). It is awesome, and no kiddos can reach!

This was probably no help if you really want a front load.
Cradle2crayons 10:44 AM 11-09-2014
We have front load washer and dryer. I purchased the higher pedestals and no daycare kids can reach he buttons at all.

I have no odor issues at all because I clean mine regularly.

Mine has a lock and that button is the highest button and you have to hold it five seconds to lock.

I loveeeeeeee my front loaders. One reason is because I'm very short and could not reach the stuff in the bottom very well.

Just be sure you look around for a higher pedestal and for one hat has it tons that are as high as possible.
Thriftylady 02:21 PM 11-09-2014
Got rid of my front load washer because the seal kept going out. But I still have the dryer and the top load washer that is like a front loader. Both my front loaders have (had locks). DH was home awhile back and trying to load the dryer and couldn't figure out why the door wouldn't shut so he could turn it on. Somehow he had held the button long enough to lock it. I got a good laugh. I really prefer my top load washer over my front loader. But just get the ones with the locks, most of the new ones should have them now.
sahm1225 04:57 PM 11-09-2014
They sell child proof locks for them & there's a child lock feature on them. I have mine in the daycare area & the kids don't touch it. It has a delay feature, so I load it every morning to run at 6pm & child lock it so the kids can't turn it on or off.
Tags:safety, washing machine
Reply Up