Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>I Said No Way But
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:17 AM 08-25-2015
I did family style today. It went really well but I didn't have any of my babies here. But, I think I will try it for a while. Picture are on fb (MrsSteinelsHouse) I want to eventually move them to real plates and glasses. But I love the divided plates especially for those kids who don't want anything to touch and they know the portions of what goes where.
littletots 10:35 AM 08-25-2015
Kids really like it. I have to talk parents into doing it overweek. Glad it went well!
Blackcat31 11:13 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
Kids really like it. I have to talk parents into doing it overweek. Glad it went well!
You have to talk your parents into eating family style at home as a family?
Angelsj 12:57 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You have to talk your parents into eating family style at home as a family?
I know it seems weird, but we don't either. With eight kids growing up, there just wasn't room on the table for all of us and all the food, so we either served the kids, or as they got older, served things buffet style in the kitchen and take your plates to the table.
Blackcat31 01:02 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I know it seems weird, but we don't either. With eight kids growing up, there just wasn't room on the table for all of us and all the food, so we either served the kids, or as they got older, served things buffet style in the kitchen and take your plates to the table.
...to me that is family style too.... you are all at the table eating.

Not the coffee table or a TV tray in front of the TV or the backseat while on the way somewhere.

Eating at the same table at the same time as a family. I guess I am still in the mindset that, that IS the most common method of eating.... I have a few families that eat on the go or in front of the TV but for the most part dinner time in my area still means everyone eating at the same time. Regardless of who dished up your plate.
Angelsj 01:07 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...to me that is family style too.... you are all at the table eating.

Not the coffee table or a TV tray in front of the TV or the backseat while on the way somewhere.

Eating at the same table at the same time as a family. I guess I am still in the mindset that, that IS the most common method of eating.... I have a few families that eat on the go or in front of the TV but for the most part dinner time in my area still means everyone eating at the same time. Regardless of who dished up your plate.
Ahhh, yes, we always eat together as a family. Usually at home.

I was thinking letting the kids dish up food from bowls on the table as family style. Between my eight and all the dcks that have been around during the years, it was just too much effort and not enough table space.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:52 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Ahhh, yes, we always eat together as a family. Usually at home.

I was thinking letting the kids dish up food from bowls on the table as family style. Between my eight and all the dcks that have been around during the years, it was just too much effort and not enough table space.
When I am talking "family style" I am talking dishing their own food.
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
When I am talking "family style" I am talking dishing their own food.
In that case, I can see why someone would have to talk their daycare parents into doing it at home too...

I can just see the looks on some of my mom's/dad's faces if I suggested that.
snbauser 05:40 AM 08-26-2015
I've been doing this for about 4 years now. My kids love it. I love it because it has really cut down on the amount of food I waste. For food program, instead of having to put a full serving on each plate, it only has to be in the bowl. So for right now I have 4 kids. 2 eat pretty well and 2 barely touch their food. Instead of putting a serving on each plate and needing to have extra for the ones that are still hungry, I can put 4 servings in the bowl. I teach them to "take what they are going to eat" and if they say they won't eat it, I make them take a tiny bit. So the rest of the serving for those that aren't going to eat it can be given as seconds to those that are still hungry. Same for milk. I only have to put the required servings in the pitcher. If they choose to only pour 2 sips of milk because that's all they are going to drink, then there is extra for anyone who wants more - after they eat their food of course.

It's also great for hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:44 AM 08-26-2015
This was today's lunch-
https://www.facebook.com/MrsSteinels.../?l=9b67329659
Attached: 11886155_987439451279141_397437478194905780_o.jpg (55.6 KB) 
Unregistered 08:19 AM 09-17-2015
The food program wants us to serve family style. To fp that means kids dish their own, with all serving dishes on the table and prefers the provider sits to eat with kids too.
littletots 10:29 AM 09-17-2015
Most dcp serve children at home. Family style per regs is like picture. Child learning to pass serving dishes, serving themselves.
I had a sign made from seller off esty. Barbie movie saying. "Take what you need, but never in greed."
Unregistered 09:58 PM 01-28-2016
So do you ever have a time when someone takes too much of something and there is not enough for everyone? oR what do you also do with the ones that refuse to even try a certain food?
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So do you ever have a time when someone takes too much of something and there is not enough for everyone? oR what do you also do with the ones that refuse to even try a certain food?
Or when they think they want something because everyone else is taking it and then they decide that they don't want any? Or kids who sneeze or cough and it's too late to make them cover their mouths? Are these foods to be thrown away if they're not taken?
Just curious. I can see this going badly with the group I have.
Josiegirl 02:45 AM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by littletots:
Most dcp serve children at home. Family style per regs is like picture. Child learning to pass serving dishes, serving themselves.
I had a sign made from seller off esty. Barbie movie saying. "Take what you need, but never in greed."
I like that saying! I have a dck or 2 that would empty an entire bowl of anything without another thought.
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 01-29-2016
If I have 6 kids, I put 7 or 8 servings in the serving bowl.

I use a spoon that is the correct serving size for that food item. If it's peas for example and 1/2 cup is the serving size then the spoon I use is only a 1/2 cup. I have each child take only their serving. If they get a heaping spoonful, it's okay because I put a little extra in the bowl.

I don't do anything for the ones that refuse to try food.

Everyone takes their serving size on their plates.

Eat what you want but there is no seconds of anything until the plate is clean. If you eat everything but the peas there is still no seconds.

Eat or don't eat. I don't care. I do NOT fight with kids in regards to eating things. That's one area where there IS a natural consequence.

Peer pressure is a fabulous thing with little kids. If you have one good eater that can lead the way the others usually follow.

I've had entire groups of kids (10-12 daily) that eat everything every day without any issues for years now.

I think the last picky eater I had is a high schooler now
Unregistered 10:34 PM 01-31-2016
How old are the children who are able to serve themselves? My group is three and under, I have 6 and an infant. I can't see the two year olds being able to serve. But if the 3yo did it, the little ones would want to as well....I guess the key would be to try and eventually they'll get it. Two of my dck have been super picky and wouldn't even touch a veggie. Now that I've had a new 3dcb who eats broccoli by the pound, the little ones are trying it and even saying that's good I like it! Peer pressure is real in this dc house!
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 02-01-2016
How old are the children who are able to serve themselves? My group is three and under, I have 6 and an infant. I can't see the two year olds being able to serve. But if the 3yo did it, the little ones would want to as well....I guess the key would be to try and eventually they'll get it. Two of my dck have been super picky and wouldn't even touch a veggie. Now that I've had a new 3dcb who eats broccoli by the pound, the little ones are trying it and even saying that's good I like it! Peer pressure is real in this dc house!
Anyone old enough to sit at the table is allowed to serve themselves.

The youngest I have at the table right now is 18 months. They've been at the table and out of the high chair since 12 months.

The key is to "guide" them. I will do hand over hand serving with the littlest ones or the ones that struggle. Letting them do most the work but guiding the "small motor skills" until they can master it on their own.

The other trick to it is all child sized serving bowls, spoons and pitchers. I sometimes put only one serving of milk in the little plastic pitcher so one child can pour their own and then I refill it for the next kid or two...depending.

You just really have to know your kids' skills and where their at when doing family style. It's definitely a nail biter some days but the skills they learn are SOOOO valuable that it's worth a little bit of spilled milk or a few rolling out of control peas.
Thriftylady 07:28 AM 02-01-2016
I have thought about doing this. But what do you do about the times when kids don't want something and won't take even a try me bite of it? And I have to say I am a bit afraid of the mess. Has anyone had issues with huge messes?
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have thought about doing this. But what do you do about the times when kids don't want something and won't take even a try me bite of it? And I have to say I am a bit afraid of the mess. Has anyone had issues with huge messes?
They have to take a serving of everything.

They do not have to eat or try anything but ALL the components must be put onto their plates.

It IS messy but so is childhood and the better or more skilled they become the less messy it is.
Reply Up