Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Attend Their Parties?
Unregistered 09:43 AM 11-26-2018
I know I have seen this topic before but I will ask again. Do you attend birthday parties of your dcks if invited? I have this family, nice enough folks. They invited me to their Halloween party, I did not go. Now they have invited me to the 1st birthday party of the baby of theirs I care for. Again, I do not want to go. I just don't know if this is the norm? They are my neighbors, they live down a ways. But still? How do you guys handle invites. For me, I just don't want to go to those things. I do buy my dcks gifts tho.
Annalee 09:47 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know I have seen this topic before but I will ask again. Do you attend birthday parties of your dcks if invited? I have this family, nice enough folks. They invited me to their Halloween party, I did not go. Now they have invited me to the 1st birthday party of the baby of theirs I care for. Again, I do not want to go. I just don't know if this is the norm? They are my neighbors, they live down a ways. But still? How do you guys handle invites. For me, I just don't want to go to those things. I do buy my dcks gifts tho.
I attended one years ago but soon learned to say "NO"...When asked now, I tell them my "off" time is spent with family or tending to errands, etc. but thanks for the invite....rinse and repeat!
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Depends.
Some providers view their DC families and kids as extensions of their own families and other providers keep things separate.

More threads on this topic
https://www.daycare.com/forum/search...archid=7025446
DaveA 11:15 AM 11-26-2018
No I don't. Off hours are for family not DC.
e.j. 11:40 AM 11-26-2018
I went to one party years ago. The dcm worked with my husband. I'm more introvert than extrovert and being the only non-family members there, it just felt very awkward to me. I decided that I wouldn't attend another party for a dck. When invited, I usually just say, "I'm sorry; I can't. I have plans for that day." We celebrate here with a special treat and the birthday child gets to pick something from the Birthday Box and I leave the parties to their family and friends.
storybookending 11:52 AM 11-26-2018
I have been invited to a few and haven’t gone. I get each child a small gift and give it to the here and we sing happy birthday and have a treat (so far always parent provided, I haven’t even asked). I just feel awkward going to things alone in general. Actually I don’t like to go to things in general hahah.
Meeko 11:53 AM 11-26-2018
I have 16 daycare kids. I just tell parents that as I can't go to all the parties, I don't attend any.

I went to one a long time ago at a skating rink. It became very obvious that I was invited to sit at the kids table and keep an eye on them while the extended family sat and visited. Not one adult spoke to me after the "hello".

Never again!
lovemykidstoo 11:58 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I went to one party years ago. The dcm worked with my husband. I'm more introvert than extrovert and being the only non-family members there, it just felt very awkward to me. I decided that I wouldn't attend another party for a dck. When invited, I usually just say, "I'm sorry; I can't. I have plans for that day." We celebrate here with a special treat and the birthday child gets to pick something from the Birthday Box and I leave the parties to their family and friends.
Same here. I went to one of my fave dcg's 1st birthday. I only went because I really like her and the family. It was so awkward because I didn't know anyone other than the parents. Thank goodness I took my 17 yr old daughter because I had noone to talk to. I didn't know them and they didn't know me, so they didn't really know what to say to me either. That was the last one. I won't do that again. So now I always say I will check my schedule to see if I have anything going on and then I always do wink wink.
Ac114 12:07 PM 11-26-2018
I’ve been to parties in the past but that’s usually because my kids are the same age as the daycare kids. I don’t feel bad attending some and not the others. I have closer relationships with some of my families than others as well. We just had Thanksgiving dinner with one of my old families. So I think it just depends on how close you are and if you want to go or not.
Jupadia 12:37 PM 11-26-2018
I go, but only cause it's my kids being invited. My boys are just a little bit older or same age as my DKs so they invite my guys to their parts and we invite to my guys. My older one is very vocal about wanting his friends their (or rather at this stage their older brothers who are in school and dont attend care anymore).

Once my guys dont really have friends their age in care if we get invited I fully plan to be busy what ever weekend it is. Truthfully I hate having them at our parts or going to theirs. I just hate the whole work outside of work thing.
Cat Herder 01:55 PM 11-26-2018
I do not attend while they are enrolled.

The past has taught me that, if I go, those will then be the parents who expect the most and flame out the hottest when the rules apply to them, too.

I will attend, if I have no previous obligations, for former DCK's in a heartbeat.
Snowmom 04:27 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I do not attend while they are enrolled.

The past has taught me that, if I go, those will then be the parents who expect the most and flame out the hottest when the rules apply to them, too.

I will attend, if I have no previous obligations, for former DCK's in a heartbeat.
Ditto!

Lesson learned the hard way on that one.
jenboo 08:13 PM 11-26-2018
We go because my son is the same age. We also invite all the families to my son's birthday. We keep pretty much everything else separate but i love parties
Josiegirl 04:00 AM 11-27-2018
I used to attend things, birthday parties, dance recitals, Christmas shows at schools, etc. I'm such an extreme introvert and felt awkward at all those events. Now I stay in my own comfort zone and either stay noncommittal in my reply or just say I already have plans.
ardeur 04:02 PM 11-27-2018
I am very private and an introvert. I value my off time. So no, I don't attend dcks parties. I want things to remain as professional as possible between me and my families.
Tags:birthday invitation, birthday invite - do you attend, birthdays
Reply Up