Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview for a PT DCK
Josiegirl 02:00 AM 11-28-2018
I'm meeting this weekend with a dcf who needs PT care. Normally I tell people I'm only taking FT clients. But this woman sounded very nice over the phone and the age of the little boy is perfect. So I set up an interview thinking why not? My question is this, she said she's very flexible as to which days and I told her if she can guarantee me 3 days a week I'd be okay with that and I quoted her a price that's higher than my FT daily fees.

But, because of my current dcfs' schedules, I'd like those days to be Monday and Friday(those are my lighter days), then any other day she chooses. Would you stay firm with those days or let them be flexible? I'm thinking there are several Monday holidays and their schedule would be affected quite a bit by that. Also, with the holidays approaching I am taking the week of Christmas off and reopening Jan. 2nd. This close to a vacation, you wouldn't charge them for it all, would you?

Just wondering what you all think about this? Thanks!!
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 11-28-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm meeting this weekend with a dcf who needs PT care. Normally I tell people I'm only taking FT clients. But this woman sounded very nice over the phone and the age of the little boy is perfect. So I set up an interview thinking why not? My question is this, she said she's very flexible as to which days and I told her if she can guarantee me 3 days a week I'd be okay with that and I quoted her a price that's higher than my FT daily fees.

But, because of my current dcfs' schedules, I'd like those days to be Monday and Friday(those are my lighter days), then any other day she chooses. Would you stay firm with those days or let them be flexible? I'm thinking there are several Monday holidays and their schedule would be affected quite a bit by that. Also, with the holidays approaching I am taking the week of Christmas off and reopening Jan. 2nd. This close to a vacation, you wouldn't charge them for it all, would you?

Just wondering what you all think about this? Thanks!!
I'd start out suggesting that Mondays and Fridays are ideal.
But you could always add that if those days don't always work, she's able to use other days instead but you would really prefer Monday and Friday for sure.

As for Christmas holidays and payment/attendance for part timers what I do is have pay for 3 days min according to their contract. One of days MUST be a holiday day (closed, no services but payment required) and the other two days can be whatever days.

So any time there is a holiday during a week and the family is a part time family with flexible attendance I feel paying the paid holiday day is a fair trade for the flexibility in scheduling. If we left it up to them, they would always use days that aren't the holiday and short you holiday pay every time. Hopefully that all makes sense.
Firefly 06:35 AM 11-28-2018
When I’m interviewing a family with a flexible schedule I will let them know the days that work best with my schedule and they will usually choose those. Once they pick their days they are contracted so those are the days they pay for each week, so then if any of those days fall on a holiday they would still have to pay.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 11-28-2018
Have you verified that she won't pay your fulltime rate or just assumed?

I just ran into this as I have always simply told people I don't offer part-time slots when they ask on the phone and end the call.

This last call, for some reason, I gave my rate first. DCM was thrilled and signed up for 3 days at full rate. Because she is paying full rate it won't matter if she occasionally needs more days or to change her schedule, all 5 days are hers.

Now I am left to wonder how many part-time kids I could have had at full rate.
rosieteddy 06:46 AM 11-28-2018
Iended up with a few part timers.Idid charge more for the daily rate than full time.Iwould say you are offering Mon and Friday they can pick 3rd day.Holidays I closed and charged Holiday pay.If I had room they could add a day and pay the daily rate -so 3 days plus additional day rate.If they are starting before the holiday I would charge for that vacation week.Three days would cover Christmas Newyears and Christmas Eve. Otherwise they could start after the New Year.
LittleExplorers 06:50 AM 11-28-2018
I would state the days that work for you. As for holidays and vacations, I only charge my part-time kiddos for their scheduled days. So if she is MWF, I would charge for those days. Be upfront as to whether or not you allow them to swap days when a holiday or vacation day comes up. I have had a few part-time families turn into full time families too over time. Almost nobody in my area takes part-time so I tend to fill my spots and at a higher daily rate than full-time.
Tags:flexible hours, interview - part time, part time care
Reply Up