Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic: Healing Thoughts, Please
SilverSabre25 05:56 PM 11-28-2010
My mom needs some healing thoughts/prayers sent her way. I don't usually ask this kind of thing, but I'm really worrying right now.

Yesterday afternoon, her lower back started to hurt; as the day wore on a couple fingers went numb and then a couple toes went numb on the opposite side of her body. She didn't think much of it--thought she needed to go to the chiropractor. When she went to bed last night her balance was off; she thought she might be getting the flu. She was restless all night. She woke up this morning unable to walk; her fine motor skills aren't working right and her arms and legs aren't working right. She went to the hospital this morning, thinking perhaps it was a stroke or something, but they're ruled that out completely; the CT scans were totally clear, all her tests so far have come back normal. They have no idea what could be wrong. She's been admitted for further observation and testing.

She's only 59. She's been in great health all her life until this. This has come completely out of nowhere and I'm worried about her, worried what could be wrong. If you have a minute, please send some thoughts and prayers her way; I think she could use them.
kendallina 06:07 PM 11-28-2010
She's in my thoughts and so are you. Please keep us updated.
sahm1225 06:20 PM 11-28-2010
<<Hugs>> sending prayers your way
AfterSchoolMom 03:43 AM 11-29-2010
Your Mom is in my thoughts today. Sending prayers. I hope things are looking better soon!
momofboys 05:34 AM 11-29-2010
Sending good thoughts & prayers for your mom's health to be completely restored. KUP!
momofsix 06:06 AM 11-29-2010
Prayers for healing for your mom, wisdom for the Drs. and peace for you both to get through this. Keep us posted.
HUGS
My Daycare 07:29 AM 11-29-2010
Sending prayers your way.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 11-29-2010
Good thoughts and prayers to you and your mom. My FIL had something similar and it was a TSI (?) or a mini-stroke...I am pretty sure they ruled out strokes at first too and nothing showed on the cat scan either but they ended up telling him it was mini-strokes and ppl have them sometimes and aren't even aware of it. I dunno....but I am praying for you both!
nikia 07:52 AM 11-29-2010
Thoughts and Prayers for you and your mom. Let us know how everything is going.
SilverSabre25 07:53 AM 11-29-2010
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.

Things have gotten worse today; now she can barely even lift her arms or do anything with them. She needs someone with her pretty much the whole day to help her eat and things.

One of my sisters thinks MS is a possibility; the doctors haven't said anything yet. I didn't think something like MS would have such a sudden onset?

I hope we get some answers soon.
My Daycare 08:00 AM 11-29-2010
If it is MS her symptoms can get better over time, but the attack needs to be stopped ASAP. Future attacks can also be prevented through medication. It's a condition that runs in my family.

Maybe Allergy???

Praying for her and your family.
Live and Learn 08:49 AM 11-29-2010
I am keeping your mom in my heart.
Lilbutterflie 08:52 AM 11-29-2010
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom today. Also prayers for the doctors; that they may find out what is wrong QUICKLY!! Please keep us updated!
laundrymom 09:01 AM 11-29-2010
please let us know how she is doing when you can,... thinking of all of you,....
CKSher 09:55 AM 11-29-2010
I am praying that God places a healing hand on your mother and she recovers quickly. You are in my prayers as well. Please keep us posted!
SilverSabre25 02:18 PM 11-29-2010
Apparently things are still getting worse; she's tingly all over and can't move her toes anymore. She was feeling short of breath all day but her oxygen levels were fine. She told the nurses that she was seeing patterns on the walls and colors on the TV and a whiteboard, and at that point they gave her some anti-anxiety medication that at least let her sleep (which she hasn't done much of since this started). My sister said that she was seeming really out of it after that but it might have been due to the meds.

She's getting an MRI and maybe some other testing right now and we will hopefully hear something later tonight. They're also moving her from where she is to "Step down" care...which is a step UP from where she's been. They are saying that they think it's either an anxiety disorder or something neurological.
MyAngels 03:40 PM 11-29-2010
I'm sorry you are going through this, especially this time of year. I'm sending thoughts and prayers out to your entire family. I'm sure the doctors will figure this out soon.((Hugs))
Lilbutterflie 06:09 AM 11-30-2010
SilverSabre, is there an update to your mom's condition & the test results? Thinking of you this morning and still praying for your mom's recovery and some answers.
SilverSabre25 08:59 AM 11-30-2010
She's being intubated and put on a respirator now; her breathing was getting really bad. She has to be sedated, so I didn't get a chance to get over there and see her before this. The MRI was mostly clear, some abnormalities that they said were no unexpected for a person her age. She's being moved to ICU so they can monitor the breathing better. They tried to do a spinal tap this morning but she started to throw up so they couldn't do it. They're going to try again at 1 and if it's successful then they should have the results by late afternoon.

They do have an idea now--they're saying it's probably Guillain-barre syndrome, and that if that is what it is the prognosis is good even though it will mean a long hospital stay and then a long nursing facility stay.

DH will be home in a little over an hour and I'll be able to go over to the hospital to be with my sisters, at least until around 5.
marniewon 09:11 AM 11-30-2010
Wow Silver, scary stuff! Good that they think they have an idea of what it could be though, even if it does mean a long recovery. Looks like they caught it pretty quickly, and will be able to start the healing process. Prayers for you and your family!
MARSTELAC 09:12 AM 11-30-2010
nothing but good thoughts, tons of prayers, lots of hugs to all of you, especially your mom....
Live and Learn 09:58 AM 11-30-2010
Your momma has been on my mind. Thanks for the update.... praying that she stabilizes and comes home soon.
momofsix 10:11 AM 11-30-2010
Thankful for a diagnosis...hopeful for a quick turnaround of symptoms and that treatment and therapy can start early. Recovery will be a long road, and I pray for patience for her and the rest of your family.
Lilbutterflie 04:40 PM 11-30-2010
Oh my goodness, how incredibly scary! I hope they are correct, and she makes a good recovery. Healing thoughts your way...
SilverSabre25 08:15 AM 12-01-2010
Thank you so much everyone; your support the past few days has helped so much.

The doctors officially diagnosed Guillain-Barre syndrome yesterday--rare auto-immune disorder that results from a viral infection. It affects fewer than 1 or 2 in 100,000 people and they don't know much about it. She didn't get a flu shot, which is where a lot of the cases come from. She's on a respirator and fully sedated, but is resting pretty comfortably and the doctors are "cautiously optimistic". Her prognosis is good, but the recovery will be very long. How long...could be weeks, months, it could be a whole year before she's back to normal. Long hospital stay and then probably a long stay in a rehab/nursing facility.

I calmed down a lot after getting to spend time with my sisters at the hospital and see my mom. It made it more real, less scary, and having an official name to put to the problem makes me less afraid that the next phone call will tell me she's gone.
AfterSchoolMom 09:11 AM 12-01-2010
I'm glad they were able to give you a diagnosis, and that she's resting as comfortably as possible. Hopefully her condition will improve sooner rather than later. I'll keep her in my prayers!
laundrymom 09:32 AM 12-01-2010
Oh Silver,... I am sending you warm hugs and prayers,... please update up when you think of it.

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thank you so much everyone; your support the past few days has helped so much.

The doctors officially diagnosed Guillain-Barre syndrome yesterday--rare auto-immune disorder that results from a viral infection. It affects fewer than 1 or 2 in 100,000 people and they don't know much about it. She didn't get a flu shot, which is where a lot of the cases come from. She's on a respirator and fully sedated, but is resting pretty comfortably and the doctors are "cautiously optimistic". Her prognosis is good, but the recovery will be very long. How long...could be weeks, months, it could be a whole year before she's back to normal. Long hospital stay and then probably a long stay in a rehab/nursing facility.

I calmed down a lot after getting to spend time with my sisters at the hospital and see my mom. It made it more real, less scary, and having an official name to put to the problem makes me less afraid that the next phone call will tell me she's gone.

Tags:hospital, prayer
Reply Up