Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dealing With Rich Parents And Their Request-
daycare 08:07 AM 05-11-2012
So I have a family that is very well to do. Money is no object, so all of the LATE $$$ have no affect on this family.

Now, dont get me wrong, this family is usually always wonderful, thoughtful, on time and follows all of my rules.

Well, I normally don't open until 7:45am..This family requested a 7:30am drop off. Of course I said yes, it's only 15 minutes. In the 1 year that the child has been with me, she has been dropped off maybe 3 or 4 times at 7:30. Otherwise it's been 7:45-8:00. This child is the first to arrive and the last to leave each day. They are here almost an hour before my next arrival and most of the time here 1-2 hours after by herself when all the kids go home.

The DCM even sends me text messages at 5 or 6am telling me oh we won't make it by regular time today. Um really, you have never make it at that time, I wonder why she is telling me this at this time in the morning. Oh and I did ask them NOT to text me that early too.....

Well, I have had some changes to my schedule with my family and I decided that I will tell this family that I am going to change their schedule from 7:30 to 7:45. I told them exactly what I told you in the above paragraph about never being here until that time anyway.

Well of course the DCF is throwing a fit. REALLY over 15min that you never used anyways??

I could afford to let this family go, because money does not mean anything to me either. I have learned this over time.

How would you deal with this or what other suggestions can I make. I feel like this is silly. This is not the first time we have had an issue over something silly. Before it was over asking the DCP not to dress the kid in designer clothing that was getting ruined...

HELP...
Oneluckymom 08:14 AM 05-11-2012
You put your foot down and did what is right for you and your business. If they really have a lot of money they should be able to afford a personal nanny who can be at their every need.
dEHmom 08:15 AM 05-11-2012
I'd tell them every text you receive before 7am is $100 fee

And for each additional hour the child is at your daycare is another $500

I'd just explain that their hours are conflicting with your personal and family time. This is the timeframe they are given and must be within it. No exceptions. Also advise them that while you appreciate they let you know as early as they know that they will be late or not coming, please do not text before X:XX.

I hate getting up early for the early arrivers and they are late or not coming. It's too late to go back to bed because my kids hear my alarm clock.
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 05-11-2012
Honestly hun, what I would do is do what YOU need to do and if your new open time does not work for them, then tell them you will miss them and their child when they leave but you gotta do what you gotta do and have no issues if they do the same.

oh and as far as late fees and the amounts not having an effect.....I went to $1 per minute for late fees WITH the clause that after 3 late pick ups in a specific amount of time, I will term so it isn't the money and am making my point by terming if they can't follow the rules. That is simply an issue of respect IMPO.
daycare 08:25 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I'd tell them every text you receive before 7am is $100 fee

And for each additional hour the child is at your daycare is another $500

I'd just explain that their hours are conflicting with your personal and family time. This is the timeframe they are given and must be within it. No exceptions. Also advise them that while you appreciate they let you know as early as they know that they will be late or not coming, please do not text before X:XX.

I hate getting up early for the early arrivers and they are late or not coming. It's too late to go back to bed because my kids hear my alarm clock.
LOL....... if only I had the nerve to ask them too.....hahha

I did tell them that I needed these hours and really thought that it would be no big deal. I thought that I just might go ahead and give them a copy of my log book so they can see that they are not using it.

Or maybe I should ok, I will do it at the time that you need, but I am going to charge an additional $20 a day. I know I will get it, but not sure it would be worth the trouble of having to drag along this child with me in the morning to where I need to go each day.
DCP 09:14 AM 05-11-2012
I personally do not allow any child to be here longer than 10 hours each day - 12 hours holy moly!!!! That is FAR too long for a child When exactly do you get family time, better yet when does this poor child!!

When it comes to being late - I found out recently money really is no issue to some people...I had to increase my late fee..get ready for this...to $5 PER minute after closing time as I have all of a sudden a client that is late very single day. I close at 5:30, my dinner is DONE at 5:30 and my kids want their Mommy to themselves at 5:30!! I understand things happen and I am VERY lenient when they do and have not once ever had to charge a late fee because they were so far and few in between until this one started. Every day she pays the ridiculous late fee and is late again in a day or two. Later and later each time.

You need to decide if it is worth it - if it is then you will have to bow down them sort of..and if not..then stick to it and be firm. I feel horrible every time I tell her how much she owes me in OT..but she pays it and my kids get a special treat each week LOL
KBCsMommy 09:20 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly hun, what I would do is do what YOU need to do and if your new open time does not work for them, then tell them you will miss them and their child when they leave but you gotta do what you gotta do and have no issues if they do the same.

oh and as far as late fees and the amounts not having an effect.....I went to $1 per minute for late fees WITH the clause that after 3 late pick ups in a specific amount of time, I will term so it isn't the money and am making my point by terming if they can't follow the rules. That is simply an issue of respect IMPO.
This ^^^^^^ It's not about money its about all about the disrespect they have for you and your family. Blackcat is 100% right.
dEHmom 10:32 AM 05-11-2012
RE: Late Fees

I just wanted to say, that for MOST parents, a late fee is more than enough to make sure SOMEONE is here to pick up their kid(s). But for the ones who don't care about the money, it stinks.

Some people figure it doesn't matter if they are late, or take a little longer at the store to chat or look at a magazine, because we aren't going to lock our doors, and leave their kid standing outside.

You can't be late picking up your child from school, you can't be late picking them up from dance or hockey, you can't be late picking them up from a birthday party (although some parents do this!), but it's ok when it's daycare cause we can't leave or "stop" working because the clock says so. It's unfair, and I think it's very disrespectful of them. I'd point blank tell them, this is my close time, this is the allotted timeframe for your child. You stay within it 99% of the time and we will have no issues. IF you continue to disrespect my family, and my business, and me, you will be let go.

If you are late for work several times, you will be fired. If you think my time is so invaluable then you will be let go!
daycare 10:41 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
RE: Late Fees

I just wanted to say, that for MOST parents, a late fee is more than enough to make sure SOMEONE is here to pick up their kid(s). But for the ones who don't care about the money, it stinks.

Some people figure it doesn't matter if they are late, or take a little longer at the store to chat or look at a magazine, because we aren't going to lock our doors, and leave their kid standing outside.

You can't be late picking up your child from school, you can't be late picking them up from dance or hockey, you can't be late picking them up from a birthday party (although some parents do this!), but it's ok when it's daycare cause we can't leave or "stop" working because the clock says so. It's unfair, and I think it's very disrespectful of them. I'd point blank tell them, this is my close time, this is the allotted timeframe for your child. You stay within it 99% of the time and we will have no issues. IF you continue to disrespect my family, and my business, and me, you will be let go.

If you are late for work several times, you will be fired. If you think my time is so invaluable then you will be let go!
I agree 100% with all that you said. I do have in my PHB that if you are more than 30 min late picking up your child without notice, I will drop your child off at the police dept. In all my years I came really close one time doing it......It was the kids first and last day.
My3cents 10:58 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I agree 100% with all that you said. I do have in my PHB that if you are more than 30 min late picking up your child without notice, I will drop your child off at the police dept. In all my years I came really close one time doing it......It was the kids first and last day.
as much as I like the idea of this..........for me, I could not do that to a child I take care of on a daily basis. That would freak a kid out! I am lucky I don't have this issue and the few times my parents have been late I have either let it slide or they came with money in hand. I have it in my PB bring me cash if your going to be late and make sure it is enough to make it worth my over time. I explain to them during interview, I have a family life outside of daycare. Having a policy and talking about this policy during interviews is key! After the newness wears out the parents will try it all- and it doesn't matter if they are rich or not.
daycare 11:01 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
as much as I like the idea of this..........for me, I could not do that to a child I take care of on a daily basis. That would freak a kid out! I am lucky I don't have this issue and the few times my parents have been late I have either let it slide or they came with money in hand. I have it in my PB bring me cash if your going to be late and make sure it is enough to make it worth my over time. I explain to them during interview, I have a family life outside of daycare. Having a policy and talking about this policy during interviews is key! After the newness wears out the parents will try it all- and it doesn't matter if they are rich or not.
I know what you mean....But I look at it like this....this is your CHILD....if you can't take 2 seconds to call and tell me, hey I will be late today, then there is a real problem here.

Of course I hear what you are saying and I understand how much it might affect the child, but it also affects the child when their parents are supposed to be here at pick up time and don't show up. It is a now win situation really....
AmyLeigh 11:07 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
The afterschoool program here has closes at 6:10 pm. If your child is there at 6:11, they are calling the police to report an abandoned child. That makes one of my DCMs rush here to pick up her son so she can get her SA girls in time.
permanentvacation 11:26 AM 05-11-2012
Sometimes the headache really isn't worth the money! It pretty much boils down to whether or not you NEED the income that you are getting from the family that is annoying you.

I am REALLY BIG about respecting my need for sleep. If I get up for you - especially if you ask me to get up and open earlier just for you, then YOU BETTER BE ON TIME EVERY DAY!!! If they have a record of not being on time, then why are they throwing a fit today!?!?! I agree with you. I would tell them that they seem to really arrive at the later time, so that's when I will be ready for them. I would not continue getting up earlier knowing that they are most likely not going to show up.
jojosmommy 11:34 AM 05-11-2012
I had the same issue with one of my dcf. I changed my closing hours to 4:30. They made a big fuss about how they couldn't do it, even though they pick up between 4-4:30 every day . As soon as I made it clear that it was non-negotiable they gave it up. I explained that my son has activities after 4:30 so I had to be closed then. Mom switched her work hours that very next week. What wasn't a possibility suddenly was a reality.

And yes I totally understand the whole we have money so we can do as we please thing. Works elsewhere but since you own the business you get to make the rules. Money or no money
daycare 11:39 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I had the same issue with one of my dcf. I changed my closing hours to 4:30. They made a big fuss about how they couldn't do it, even though they pick up between 4-4:30 every day . As soon as I made it clear that it was non-negotiable they gave it up. I explained that my son has activities after 4:30 so I had to be closed then. Mom switched her work hours that very next week. What wasn't a possibility suddenly was a reality.

And yes I totally understand the whole we have money so we can do as we please thing. Works elsewhere but since you own the business you get to make the rules. Money or no money
yes this exactly.

After talking to everyone, I have decided that I will give them two weeks to decide what they want to do. I think that everyone here is on the same page as me, which has given me the confidence to move forward with what is needed....thanks for helping me validate my feelings towards this situation...

I love you guys!!!!!!!!
Christian Mother 02:20 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This exactly...

I termed a family last summer for continually showing up late. When it became clear that this family didn't care about me or my rules I talked to them about it and termed.

There comes a time when you just need to put your foot down and not except the behavior anymore. Parents that questions your rules...that's one thing bc that allows some communication...it's when they are rude that I have a real problem with. Just explain that you've made the decision if it doesn't fit into the schedule then it's best they find a new dcp. It's 15min which they never use which you could def. make a copy and give to them to show them. Let them know...yes, you could continue charging them the extra money each week to accommodate this schedule but you don't want the money...you much rather have your family time. As far as the calls in the morning. I would just tell the family that you no longer except calls before or after a certain time and that your phone will be off. Make a point that if it happens don't acknowledge it..kwim. They won't know if you got to it or not. And if they question it tell them you don't check your ms til the start of the day.
Reply Up