Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And Then There Were Two
providerandmomof4 03:45 PM 08-04-2013
I gotta tell you all that I've become lax about clients. This summer I've had two babies (16mth and 20mth) and two preschool (3yr and 5yr). My own two kids are 6 and 11. It has been such an awesome summer with these kids. Very low stress level, love all these kids. Dcm...not so much...but anyway, my summer has been great, unlike last summer when I had 8 sac, who had to be entertained every second and fought like crazy. So, I was in no hurry to get more kids and was perfectly content to make less $$ for less stress.
Well, my older sibling set gave her notice. Probably a good thing as you may have picked up on from my previous post. However, the fact remains that I am now down to two! This is definitely not going to pay the bills. I revamped my craigslist ad and republished and put my sign back out in my yard.
I guess my question is: For those of you that keep small numbers of kids by choice, what do you do to bring in clients fast? If a couple bail out?
This is my own fault. I know how fickle dcp can be. One thing I've learned is you cannot count on anyone to stay. If they do...it's a bonus cause you never know.
Heidi 04:26 PM 08-04-2013
I specialize in infants and toddlers, since I can only have 4 total if they are all under 2 anyway. Less pressure to fill 7 or 8 spots, less stuff to buy, less planning and curriculum, less stress in as far as I'm concerned.

I Charge a premium rate for this age, and have a (small) waiting list. I am interviewing now with someone who needs care in January and one who just found out she's preggers.

Infant care is hard to find, and I've heard through the grapevine that the centers in the nearby town are so sad...stinky and unappealing.

Over 2 rate around here is about $100-$110 per week. My new infants will pay $140. I am in a fairly low-rate area of our state.
MNMum 04:37 PM 08-04-2013
I'm in the same situation as you! I try to enjoy the time that I have fewer kiddos. Although we count on my daycare paycheck's, I can typically pick up extra hours at my other job when my numbers get low (but I can't right now due to my own new baby). I hope to not have to take the first client I come across but to find someone with similar parenting choices.
Familycare71 06:17 PM 08-04-2013
Same boat!! I did- thankfully- get one new dcb who starts tomorrow but no where near what I need to be making!! I have an ad on cl, my fb page and I think I will order and hang some fliers around town-
I don't like starting new families!!
cheerfuldom 07:07 PM 08-04-2013
I think the younger kids you take, the faster you spots will fill. I am constantly flooded with interest for newborns or infants.
Reply Up