Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Horrible Toy Purchase
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:34 AM 10-01-2013
I bought a train table thinking that I could finally have a spot to keep ALL of the trains together.

WRONG!!!!

Now I have even more trains and tracks thrown all over my playroom. I swear I tell these kids to keep them on the table 100 times a day.

Any ideas on how to make the kids understand?
DaycareKim 10:37 AM 10-01-2013
I hot glued them together, and to the table. It works for a lil while. But they do end up coming off. Saves my sanity for a lil while at least..
Scout 10:43 AM 10-01-2013
my dad glued and screwed mine all down but, like pp said they do eventually break off.
Memc2001 10:46 AM 10-01-2013
My husband pre-drilled and screwed them to the table. It's been a great thing.
Kids will never understand the no-mess.
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
I bought a train table thinking that I could finally have a spot to keep ALL of the trains together.

WRONG!!!!

Now I have even more trains and tracks thrown all over my playroom. I swear I tell these kids to keep them on the table 100 times a day.

Rule reminder BEFORE play.

After the 1st time tossing the around, I would have warned the kids that if they use the pieces/toys inappropriately, they will need to stop playing with them.

After the 2nd time, I would have had the kids pick them up and not play with them for the rest of the day.

Start fresh the next day. Rinse and repeat.

They kids catch on REAL quick~

I would NEVER have let it go on for so long that they are being told 100x's...

Makes it easier if you use a 1,2,3 method for everything.

Less stress for you and easier on them...they now know expectations and the consequence for not listening and that makes for a more predictable day with better behaviors from everyone.
Play Care 11:07 AM 10-01-2013
I moved my train table out of the dc area and in the basement. I just found that even with constant reminders, they destroyed it. I am hoping to sell mine and if I purchase another it will be much smaller - and I will glue the track together before it gets used.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't understand the appeal of train tables.
MCC 01:55 PM 10-01-2013
I also have moved my train table out of the room. It's huge, the kids make a huge mess with it, and ALL of the pieces (other than the tracks) are a chocking hazard, so I have to constantly make sure the trains aren't in mouths.

How do you all keep the trains out of mouths? I would love to at least put the tracks and trains in a bucket for them to take out, but I'm worried about the trains being so small. We have the IKEA train set, as well as a Kidkraft table and it came with trains too- ALL of the trains fit through a toilet paper roll, which is what licensing uses to decide if they are a chocking hazard.
MsLaura529 02:40 PM 10-01-2013
I have found that keeping the train piece options to a minimum have worked the best. I leave enough trains out for one for each kid, and just a simple circle track with a bridge. If I see a train or track piece has wandered off, I give a reminder that it stays at the table. If it becomes too much of an issue, the trains get put away in the bin. (And the kids know that only I open the bin, they do not). I LOVE my train table (it's a smaller square one form Walmart) and use it for many things - trains, sensory bins, blocks, Little People play, etc.
Josiegirl 03:22 PM 10-01-2013
I had a nice homemade heavy duty train table, with 2 rolling drawers underneath. No matter how many times I reminded them all they wanted to do with it was stand/dance/jump on it. Grrr. So I sold it. That was several years ago. Now I've taken my sand/water table out of storage to use for this fall and winter. I caught my 2 1/2 yo jumping and dancing on the top of it. I told her it wasn't safe, the younger kids were going to do the same thing now and if I caught her one more time, standing on it, back to the basement it'll go. Next day, back to the basement it went.

What is it with kids....aren't floors good enough to jump and dance on?
Anyways, I hope you find a workable solution for your train table soon. I kinda like playing with them in the stores that have them set up.
countrymom 06:10 PM 10-01-2013
I predrilled the holes (this is a must or you will split the tracks trust me) and I screwed them down. No one bothers them and now that they are screwed down, it is a toy that is played with alot. But I do have a couple of kids who enjoy sitting in the bin of tracks while playing with the track, bizarre but whatever.
Nebula 07:35 PM 10-01-2013
I despise train tables, I had one- All it amounted to was a climbing and tear provoking apparatus. Sold it!! I do have a bucket of THomas trains and tracks though
iluvlearning 05:08 AM 10-02-2013
The problem I have had with train tables is that arranging the track to fit ON the table is challenging...even for an adult. While we did screw the track to the table for awhile, the kids became tired of the arrangement and wanted to make tracks on the floor anyway. So...I unscrewed the track and used the table for Legos, Duplos, puzzles and other "table" toys. It works great for those things because the surface is flat and the kids can kneel or sit on the floor to play.
Maria2013 05:29 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

WRONG!!!!

might sounds harsh but If my kids are old enough and know the rules whatever doesn't get put back in its spot it disappears magically for indefinite time

I had that problem in the kitchen, the rule is: you can make a mess playing, but you must return everything where you found it and leave the spot clear for the next child....they know the rules but some days they like to test them and they drop dishes/food and leave it for me to clean up
well I do clean up but remove things and when they ask me what happened to _____ ? I explain the rule over you don't put it back, you don't get to play with it for a while

that works for me, my daycare is always clean and organized
Maria2013 05:31 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Memc2001:
Kids will never understand the no-mess.
sorry but I disagree with you...I give them consequences they can understand and time to learn them and I have no problem with mess at all...in fact parents tell me they go home and pick up their rooms too
Maria2013 05:33 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I have found that keeping the train piece options to a minimum have worked the best.

Nebula 07:12 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
might sounds harsh but If my kids are old enough and know the rules whatever doesn't get put back in its spot it disappears magically for indefinite time

I had that problem in the kitchen, the rule is: you can make a mess playing, but you must return everything where you found it and leave the spot clear for the next child....they know the rules but some days they like to test them and they drop dishes/food and leave it for me to clean up
well I do clean up but remove things and when they ask me what happened to _____ ? I explain the rule over you don't put it back, you don't get to play with it for a while

that works for me, my daycare is always clean and organized
LOL Love it. When I worked in a regular center, I was in charge of the after schoolers. Legos were notorious for being left behind and never picked up..... so one day I got wise, and stopped fighting with them to pick them up (talking 6-12 year olds) and well, whatever legos were left behind went in a bucket... a couple of months down the road they literally had like 5 or 6 lego pieces, and the kids finally noticed. They kept saying "The lego pieces are missing". And I used child psychology lol, that the legos probably got lonely and went to find a hiding spot. Worked wonders, I would give back 1-2 pieces a week, and by the time all the pieces were returned- never again did a single piece get left behind.
MNMum 08:54 AM 10-04-2013
I've found ways to get the daycare kids to pick up after themselves...can anyone help me with my husband? and schoolagers of my own...
Tags:bad behavior - toys, toy display, train table
Reply Up