Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New and Have a Few Questions
play2learn 12:11 PM 05-12-2014
Hi everyone,

I just opened my in home daycare in April. I have a almost two year old boy, and i was suppose to be getting his new baby sister the week after he started. His mom was still on maternity leave. I am already giving them a $50 a week discount. Since it was the first week I told his mom I would just charge for the little boy until his sister came.(thinking she would be coming the following week) Well now she isn't coming until June. I really needed the money. Now my pay is cut in half. Idk who can live off of $500 a month but that doesn't even cover 3 of my bills. I am really not sure what to do or say to her. They are now dropping off early and picking up late too. My hours are 7:30-5:30. Their contract is for 7:30-5:00. This little boy is in my care for 10 hours a day. I originally was going to have a 9 hour cap a day and then they will get charged for longer. does this sound like something thats normal? Also his grandma is staying with his little sister. Last week his dad picked him up late and he was showered and was in shorts and a T-shirt. This morning his dad dropped him off at 7:20 I wasn't even ready for him yet. I am not sure how to handle this. I do have a early/late policy. I haven't pushed the issue but now i have to because it is very frustrating. I just ha e to grow a back bone and stop being a push over.

Sorry so long.
Chellieleanne 02:45 PM 05-12-2014
I can't comment on the pay issue however on the drop off/pick up I just dealt with that myself and it was rough to me. I just brought it up with mom one night that 10 hours was agreed on at the start of care and since she changed her schedule a few months ago it has been consistently exceeding that and we needed to work something else out because it wasn't fair to her son to be with someone else so long in the day(and meWell it turned out she was about to change her position to one that was less hours so it worked out perfectly and I didn't have to raise rates or fight the issue.

This was rough for me, I don't like confronting people but like I was told when I asked on here, this is my business. I made it through ok and just brought it up in a casual convo without making accusations or anything. So definitely talk to the parents and just bring up "hey we agreed on these hours and it seems like they are not working out for you. Is there a way we can work something out that would benefit us both?" But however you would word it to be more you. My relationship with my DCM is friends outside of business as well so it made it even more of a struggle I think and was close to having a panic attack before I talked to her.

Good luck
Shell 03:53 PM 05-12-2014
This is very typical behavior from parents that are taking advantage of you. You gave them what other providers on here call, "special' with the discount, and now they are pushing their boundaries with you to see how much they can get away with. My advice is to get real firm with them, lock them into a serious contract with a cap at a certain number of hours, with specific drop off and pick up times. You must get tough with them, or they will walk all over you, and then you will wind up resenting them and kicking them out (been there). You can do it!
MarinaVanessa 03:55 PM 05-12-2014
Wow, lots of things to address but it needs to be done.

"Hey Susan, I wanted to talk to you about baby Suzie. When I said that I wouldn't charge you for Suzie I was under the impression that she would be coming to daycare a week after Johnny started. It's great she's staying with grandma and that is saving you guys some money and I'm sorry for not clarifying things better for you but I can't hold a spot for her for an extended period of time."

Think about whether you want to have her start soon or lose her spot or whether you just want to start trying to fill her spot. Quick question. Are they your only clients? If they are then just look for additional clients, I'm assuming you'll still be within your ratio. I mean unless her spot is your last spot there's not much you can do other than to find more clients KWIM?

I don't see it as your pay being cut in half, you shouldn't count on money that you don't have in your hand already. I suggest next time don't consider a spot held without a contract signed, a concrete start date, 2 week deposit paid and first week paid. Trust me, don't ever assume. But don't stress about it now. We all make "noob" mistakes when we first start out.

As far as dropping off early ...

"Also, I notice that you seem to need early drop offs than 7:30 am. 7:30 is my opening time but if you need for me to open earlier let me know and we can probably work something out. Lately it's been 10 minutes earlier so I was thinking that an extra (double what you charge hourly) extra per week would be okay since it's almost an hour extra each week and since it's before my regular opening time. If you need an even earlier drop off time I can think about it and quote you."

and picking up late ...
"There have also been times that Johnny has been picked up later than your contracted schedule so I wanted to discuss that with you. I work based on contracted hours that I am needed, otherwise I am closed. I'll need you to pick Johnny up no later than your contacted pick up time and that means that you need to be gone at that time, that does not mean you are arriving at that time to pick him up. I'd really like to work with you on this however please keep in mind that you're already getting a discount and that your weekly fee is based on a 7:30am drop off and 5:00 pm pick up, anything beyond that is extra. If you need a later pick up time please let me know as well so that I can quote you for that extra time."

Don't feel bad for bringing this up, I think you need to point out that you're already giving them "special" but they quickly forget that they are getting "special" and it turns into "normal". If "special" costs extra then they think twice about it.
llpa 04:30 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Wow, lots of things to address but it needs to be done.

"Hey Susan, I wanted to talk to you about baby Suzie. When I said that I wouldn't charge you for Suzie I was under the impression that she would be coming to daycare a week after Johnny started. It's great she's staying with grandma and that is saving you guys some money and I'm sorry for not clarifying things better for you but I can't hold a spot for her for an extended period of time."

Think about whether you want to have her start soon or lose her spot or whether you just want to start trying to fill her spot. Quick question. Are they your only clients? If they are then just look for additional clients, I'm assuming you'll still be within your ratio. I mean unless her spot is your last spot there's not much you can do other than to find more clients KWIM?

I don't see it as your pay being cut in half, you shouldn't count on money that you don't have in your hand already. I suggest next time don't consider a spot held without a contract signed, a concrete start date, 2 week deposit paid and first week paid. Trust me, don't ever assume. But don't stress about it now. We all make "noob" mistakes when we first start out.

As far as dropping off early ...

"Also, I notice that you seem to need early drop offs than 7:30 am. 7:30 is my opening time but if you need for me to open earlier let me know and we can probably work something out. Lately it's been 10 minutes earlier so I was thinking that an extra (double what you charge hourly) extra per week would be okay since it's almost an hour extra each week and since it's before my regular opening time. If you need an even earlier drop off time I can think about it and quote you."

and picking up late ...
"There have also been times that Johnny has been picked up later than your contracted schedule so I wanted to discuss that with you. I work based on contracted hours that I am needed, otherwise I am closed. I'll need you to pick Johnny up no later than your contacted pick up time and that means that you need to be gone at that time, that does not mean you are arriving at that time to pick him up. I'd really like to work with you on this however please keep in mind that you're already getting a discount and that your weekly fee is based on a 7:30am drop off and 5:00 pm pick up, anything beyond that is extra. If you need a later pick up time please let me know as well so that I can quote you for that extra time."

Don't feel bad for bringing this up, I think you need to point out that you're already giving them "special" but they quickly forget that they are getting "special" and it turns into "normal". If "special" costs extra then they think twice about it.
the sooner dcm knows YOU feel that you are running a business then she will stop taking you for granted. Yes, dcks are not always easy to come by, but it never works out well for you to let it continue.

All of this!!
play2learn 05:53 AM 05-13-2014
Thank you everyone for you comments. I just have to get over trying to please everyone. The only person I should be worrying about is myself. If I am not happy then whats the point of continuing. I will definitely have to confront DCM. I will just have to remind her what the hours are, and she is already getting a big discount. Thank you again everyone. I appreciate it verrrry much!
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by play2learn:
Thank you everyone for you comments. I just have to get over trying to please everyone. The only person I should be worrying about is myself. If I am not happy then whats the point of continuing. I will definitely have to confront DCM. I will just have to remind her what the hours are, and she is already getting a big discount. Thank you again everyone. I appreciate it verrrry much!
Yes!! Remember that each time you say yes to a daycare family, you are potentially telling your own family no.

That seems to help when you need to stand strong. A daycare families needs should NEVER come before your own.
My3cents 12:05 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes!! Remember that each time you say yes to a daycare family, you are potentially telling your own family no.

That seems to help when you need to stand strong. A daycare families needs should NEVER come before your own.
even if your a family of one, or a family of one and a cat
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:16 PM 05-13-2014
If you discounted because of a "sibling discount" tell them since Suzi hasn't started I really need to adjust your rate to a single child. I was discounting on the basis of two. Your rate will be ______. Thanks
Reply Up